• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jil Sander Sartorial (MTM)

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Thank you for the valuable input LK.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On the same line, I'm rather curious to see Tom Ford's MTM line. I would probably like it more than Sander's cut which is, generally speaking, a tiny bit too generous for my taste--no severe waist suppression.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it going to be cut like the center suit?

jilsander.jpg

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I really want the shirt on the left.

I think the buttons have a lower stance on the suit.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't get super 150's. I hate high count woolens, they are thin and far from hard-wearing.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Don't get super 150's. I hate high count woolens, they are thin and far from hard-wearing.

Aye Lassy, nay a thread there warm enough to keep your soul at rest like the Sweet Virgin Mother.

Sorry Conne, we can't all dress in heavy wools and dowdy FairIsle sweaters.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What' so special about Jil Sander mtm?

I remember seeing a pretty nice Jil Sander blazer along time ago... it had all kinds of tags telling me about how it was made using the time honoured artisan method... but it was only half canvassed

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Aye Lassy, nay a thread there warm enough to keep your soul at rest like the Sweet Virgin Mother. Sorry Conne, we can't all dress in heavy wools and dowdy FairIsle sweaters.
Hardy har har. When I talk about high super counts being undesirable, I don't mean to imply that's because they don't offer warmth. There's a reason some bespoke tailors won't use high-count supers: they do not tailor well, and they do not drape well.

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Without seeing the swatches, the POWs sound like it'd be nice in a 2 button cut.

+1.

I'm rather interested in what a Sander DB 3x3 looks like, any pictures available?

Sprezzatura Custom

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is the Jil Sander cut? Is it sloping natural shoulders, minimal padding, high button stance, with a high armhole?

From what I can think of I associate the cut of Prada Mainline with that of Jil Sander but I could be wrong.

ccffm1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
For something with as good (particular?) a cut as Jil Sander, I would go with a plain charcoal gray. I think it would show off the best part of the suit, which is the silhouette.

Exactly my thoughts. Jil Sander is all about reduction and minimalism. Plain charcoal comes off as sober and slightly reserved, thus highlighting the features mentioned above. I understand that you, SoCal2NYC, already have some solid grey suits, but neither pinstripe nor plaid seem to go very well together with that trademark look of her´s, IMHO.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura Custom
Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is the Jil Sander cut? Is it sloping natural shoulders, minimal padding, high button stance, with a high armhole?

From what I can think of I associate the cut of Prada Mainline with that of Jil Sander but I could be wrong.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ght=jil+sander
Obviously I take back a few things I said a month ago.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by ccffm1
Exactly my thoughts. Jil Sander is all about reduction and minimalism. Plain charcoal comes off as sober and slightly reserved, thus highlighting the features mentioned above. I understand that you, SoCal2NYC, already have some solid grey suits, but neither pinstripe nor plaid seem to go very well together with that trademark look of her´s, IMHO.

I guess having followed the brand during her last few years, the interlude with the design team and what Raf is now doing I have a different sense of what Jil Sander as a house is about and all of their offerings are (not just a presumed notion of "minimalism" as a blanket term.
When I say pinstripes with Jil Sander I am talking about Pinstripes that from 10 feet away you would think was a solid color suit.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Thank you for the valuable input LK.

laugh.gif

The only possible reason I can imagine paying that amount for an MTM suit would be because you want a suit that is very much Jil Sander.

Originally Posted by Connemara
When I talk about high super counts being undesirable, I don't mean to imply that's because they don't offer warmth. There's a reason some bespoke tailors won't use high-count supers: they do not tailor well, and they do not drape well.

I agree that heavier fabrics drape better - that has been my experience and it just makes sense.

On the other hand, I don't know what exactly not tailoring well means. The couple really good tailors that I know may not prefer or recommend lighter weight fine fabrics but they also don't seem to have any real problem working with the stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads