• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jil Sander Sartorial (MTM)

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
So...if not this weekend, then certainly next, I am going into Jil Sander and having a fitting/measurments taken for a Jil Sander "Sartorial" (the name of their MTM program) suit.

The suits run $3,000-$6,600 (they also allow you to order jackets starting at $2400 and pants at $700), take about 6-8 weeks to complete and have 3 internal tags ("Jil Sander", "Sartorial", "Your Name").

There are several models to choose from: 3btn, 2btn, 1btn, DB 3x3, 1btn peak lapel tux, DB 3x3 peak lapel tux.

I feel that I will get the 2btn (what all my Jil Sander suits and jackets are) and I am sure there are vents options and I would say double.

They have 1 swatch book of British cloth and 1 of Italian. I glanced through it briefly the other day in the store and it runs the range of Super 150s and up wools to flannel to seersucker to cotton to cashmere.

I'm thinking a very light grey pinstripe is what I would want to get; although, there was an AWESOME dark charcoal and blue POW and a lighter charcoal and pink POW swatch. My feeling with the POW is that if I am getting a MTM Jil Sander suit that I want something that is more iconic of the brand (really I would get a navy one, but I already have an OTR one). Jil has used plaids, windowpane, tartan and POW before in her collection and while I love the cloth I just don't think it is right for this suit (at this time).

If I forget my camera I will try to snap the best pic I can of the swatch I pick and post here.

dagenham

Reaction score
conundrum. but i think your original idea of the grey pinstripe is the best bet. although both the POW's sound awesome... tough decision.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I'll try to take a pic of those swatches too. Of course I'll get more details about the make, elaborate as to which measurments they take, etc.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couldn't you go bespoke for that kind of money?

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds great, I've always loved the Sander silhouette... If it were me, I would probably go with really subdued POW. The light grey pinstripe should be great, too. Take as many pictures as you can.
inlove.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69

Sure, but then it wouldn't have the look and feel of a Jil Sander garment.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69

Hey cool it Mister! I already have to hear it about OTR Thom Browne at $3,500+

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For something with as good (particular?) a cut as Jil Sander, I would go with a plain charcoal gray. I think it would show off the best part of the suit, which is the silhouette.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
Sounds great, I've always loved the Sander silhouette... If it were me, I would probably go with really subdued POW. The light grey pinstripe should be great, too.

Take as many pictures as you can.
inlove.gif

We'll let it come in and see. If I get a second one I can do one of the POW, probably the charcoal pink as the SS 05 collection had an AMAZING cotton/poly one that I let slip away.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Well I have a grey Thom Browne suit and grey flannel Michael Bastian suit, so I really don't want to add another solid grey. But, I'm also basing on just the few swatches that I saw when I was waiting to get rung up for other things. Could all change this weekend.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question... The runway suits with the odd fabrics (orange cotton, light grey leather and such), are those fabrics available for the MTM service, or is that a distinct entity seperate from this Sartorial stuff?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Well I have a grey Thom Browne suit and grey flannel Michael Bastian suit, so I really don't want to add another solid grey. But, I'm also basing on just the few swatches that I saw when I was waiting to get rung up for other things. Could all change this weekend.
I think I could live with only gray suits, but I see your point. Nevertheless, I would try to pick a fabric that did not detract from the cut. I find that pinstripes are worse at showing off silhouette than are plaids.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
A question... The runway suits with the odd fabrics (orange cotton, light grey leather and such), are those fabrics available for the MTM service, or is that a distinct entity seperate from this Sartorial stuff?

Nope. The Sartorial collection is only offered in the NY, London and Milan boutique. I think that offering any fabric from the collections would take away from the limited and seasonal aspect of the runway collections.

Originally Posted by iammatt
I think I could live with only gray suits, but I see your point. Nevertheless, I would try to pick a fabric that did not detract from the cut. I find that pinstripes are worse at showing off silhouette than are plaids.

Yes, we'll see. I'm sure I'll spend 45 min looking at fabric; but, don't think of grey pinstripe in the mindset of this forum...think very light, faint or even "ethereal."

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Without seeing the swatches, the POWs sound like it'd be nice in a 2 button cut. I've always found 2 button cuts a bit *yawn* unless they are made in a very interesting fabric.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads