• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The great suit style is of Germany my friends

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
I believe it comes from the Traunsee area of Austria. Probably member "˜fritzl' can give more information, as it is his neck of the woods (or is it the lakes?).

I think it comes from Salzburg. I like it. Bought a "Jägerleinen" today.

Btw, It is woods and lakes.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Epa,i do speak spanish and my family is from the Pyrenees and i'm fully aware of the Basque and Catalan question...

There are some very deep roots to these problems coming from the Franco era when regionalism and local cultures were smashed up by the Franco regime...

I did notice some tensions especially with the Basques....I do sometimes wind-up some drivers telling them i'm a French Basque and it is working....

Frankly speaking, there may be deep roots, but many of the youngsters making up todays violent nationalistic movements were not even born during the Franco era, and when you hear their arguments...
For ****s sake, Franco died in the 70s! (And many of the persons they have killed were people who did a lot more against Franco than what they -or their parents- ever made!)
Violent nationalistic movements just cannot be justified in a democracy.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Frankly speaking, there may be deep roots, but many of the youngsters making up todays violent nationalistic movements were not even born during the Franco era, and when you hear their arguments...
For ****s sake, Franco died in the 70s! (And many of the persons they have killed were people who did a lot more against Franco than what they -or their parents- ever made!)
Violent nationalistic movements just cannot be justified in a democracy.

I'm down to take it to the streets anti-hippie style in US of A. Is this turning into a CE thread?

Degendorff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stilmacher
However, for a northern German a Tracht is NOT local culture but a clear expression of a reactionary (or worse) state of mind.

I am from Hamburg and have to disagree. The father of a good friend of mine is a confirmed social democrat and wears a Janker (similar to fritzl's) on a daily basis. However, he has an affinity to Southern Germany and Austria. I think that only in some few cases there is a political reason for wearing the tracht or a part of it as a sportscoat.
Would you say that a "Lodenmantel" (a coat made of loden) is a political statement, too? Some of my fellow students wear them and are as left wing as left wing gets.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Degendorff
I am from Hamburg and have to disagree. The father of a good friend of mine is a confirmed social democrat and wears a Janker (similar to fritzl's) on a daily basis. However, he has an affinity to Southern Germany and Austria. I think that only in some few cases there is a political reason for wearing the tracht or a part of it as a sportscoat.
Would you say that a "Lodenmantel" (a coat made of loden) is a political statement, too? Some of my fellow students wear them and are as left wing as left wing gets.

My wife is far more leftist than I and she has expressly stated that she does not want me to wear a Lodenmantel as she does not like them, and I am sure that it has more with politics to do than with esthetics. It seems that Lodenmänel are strongly associated with very right wing people here in Spain. But I may be wrong.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do think that people or countries who did not suffered under a real dictatorship,left or right side of the political spectrum,do have problems to understand certain historical and cultural sensitivities ...

Wearing a Nazi armband will not bring the same reactions in Israel,Germany,Poland ,USA or Russia...

Being a right-winger or a left-winger in the USA or anywhere else is far from living under Franco,Pinochet or the Stasi watchful eyes...
To those who are using provocation and using fashion political symbols ,you do have to be ready to face the reactions...

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Deep.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why does everything from Germany have to be, 'The Best', or 'The Purest'? Why can't it just be a nice style of suit? Does that suit have to rule the World?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The main problem with ruling the world,it has been an obssesion with so many different cultures for so many centuries...

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Ist das Deutsch für Rickrollen?

laugh.gif

Jon.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roland Loden of Germany

suit_link.jpg

Not even a Glashutte or Lange could save that.

mumbojumbo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Wearing a Nazi armband will not bring the same reactions in Israel,Germany,Poland ,USA or Russia...
Yes, in germany you would be arrested (and imprisoned) immediately (see german StGB §86, §130).
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
I'm actually pretty sure you could find a grey Hugo Boss suit somewhere in germany.
E.g. in Ohio you can find a 'grey Hugo Boss suit' too (google translated http://translate.google.com/translat...0605143007.php).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics