• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent purchases

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ott
What about the arms? I'm 5'11", 160lbs or so, and the arms seem just a bit too long and slightly too wide (even when I layered them with a sweater and hoodie).

I'm considering getting it altered, but I don't want to throw off the profile of the coat..

EDIT- size M

EDIT2- my recent spending spree (which has ruined me):

EG Bedford (from Drinkwater's)
Nom D Blue Crewneck Sweater (from Brigade)
Kicking Mule 1950s in rinse (from Revolve, but they haven't arrived yet)

The arms as are a perfect length for me - I have longish arms for my height, though I still need to get Costume National jackets, which are cut for Orangutans, altered. I would say that they are slightly wide, but I will definitely need that width come winter. I prefer not to alter coats if I don't absolutely have to. I could probably get my bedford tailored, but I think that it would look a little odd. Maybe a label like Tim Hamilton can be altered, but Engineered Garments makes pretty rought hewn clothes out of rought hewn materials, and I don't think that they are meant to look very fitted.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimaddict
No pics, but somewhat recently I have picked up Nom de Guerre classic fit grey (Stels in Boston, you too LA Guy?), Seize sur Vingt grey striped shirt on sale at Stels (gotta love being an XL), Italian indigo diors, and Neil Barret ankle boots. I just moved to Boston for school and the shopping here is excellent, although the boots were from yoox....

Great pickups, man. Gotta post some pics in the next day or two.

Bungee Man

Reaction score
I'll get on the no pics train too. Just bought some APC indigo stretch New Cures and a Brixton Ltd. Stroll brown houndstooth fedora. Wanted a pair of the Nom classic fit jean too, but need to keep some money around for the SF 5ep jean.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
I figured the 'I only need one pair' bit wouldn't last long
smile.gif

A man cannot live on suits alone.
smile.gif

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought the Filson Bridle Leather Belt today, 1 1/4 inch. Kept my typical jean size, 32, as the website states; hope I don't need a 34. I know a bunch of steezers are interested in this, supposed to be good quality at the price, so I'll throw up some pics when it comes.

capnpyro

Reaction score
Just picked this up at Zara earlier today, it looks a bit like an Engineered Garments jacket that I'd been wanting for a long while.

This is a 40 which is on the verge of being to small (hard to button) but the 42 is on the verge of being to big and looking sloppy when it's unbuttoned. Being southern california I went with the 40 assuming I'd have it unbuttoned more often then not, opinions?

jacket1.jpg

jacket2.jpg

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
5EPxSF
BoO Stripped shirt (Same infamous shirt k-diddy wore in the photo that started the j.crew vs. goth ninja battle)
2 Agnes B shirts (I think I'm up to 7 or 8 so far in the last two months. Jesus.)

cielo

Reaction score
Some recent stuff:

IMG_3701Small.jpg

Spurr Jeans
Adidas Gazelle (Flavors of the World)
Duckie Brown Purple Beanie
Levi's Infant (a few years too early, but couldn't resist at $15)
LVC Tee
Barneys CO-OP White Tee

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by capnpyro
Just picked this up at Zara earlier today, it looks a bit like an Engineered Garments jacket that I'd been wanting for a long while.

This is a 40 which is on the verge of being to small (hard to button) but the 42 is on the verge of being to big and looking sloppy when it's unbuttoned. Being southern california I went with the 40 assuming I'd have it unbuttoned more often then not, opinions?

looks good on you, I think you're right in assuming it won't be buttoned too often. As it is now, has a nice silhouette

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cielo
Some recent stuff:

IMG_3701Small.jpg

Spurr Jeans
Adidas Gazelle (Flavors of the World)
Duckie Brown Purple Beanie
Levi's Infant (a few years too early, but couldn't resist at $15)
LVC Tee
Barneys CO-OP White Tee

How do you like the SPURRS? I got mine last year (Classic fit) and love the feel of them, as well as the loose, comfortable fit. The brand never got a lot of love here, and the product is expensive, but I imagine that the slim cut would suit a lot of folks here.

phooi

Reaction score
Pick up an EG charcoal herringbone bedford in small at MAC in SF. Currently in for sleeve alterations but looking forward to picking up next week.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
How do you like the SPURRS? I got mine last year (Classic fit) and love the feel of them, as well as the loose, comfortable fit. The brand never got a lot of love here, and the product is expensive, but I imagine that the slim cut would suit a lot of folks here.
I liked the color and construction of the SPURRS I saw @ Barney's last month but I couldn't justify the price for its fit considering the competition at that price level. It made me wonder who their target audience is. Middle-aged men with loads to spend that know enough about jean quality to want something relatively low-key and non-"name"brand but only shop at high end retailers and know nothing of BiG, SE, etc? Not dogging you, LAG, just curious as to what made you pick up a pair since a number of repro brands do the same for less.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I liked the color and construction of the SPURRS I saw @ Barney's last month but I couldn't justify the price for its fit considering the competition at that price level. It made me wonder who their target audience is. Middle-aged men with loads to spend that know enough about jean quality to want something relatively low-key and non-"name"brand but only shop at high end retailers and know nothing of BiG, SE, etc?

Not dogging you, LAG, just curious as to what made you pick up a pair since a number of repro brands do the same for less.

Well, I liked the cut, construction, denim, and details. And they were on sale.

The top block is considerably more comfortable and flattering than pretty much every repro jean I've tried on. It's a low rise without being ball constricting, and the thighs are cut quite straight. And I like the true pegleg style (straight down from hips, so the leg is pretty loose) that is quite antitrend right now. The denim is some of the most comfortable denim I've ever worn, either raw or washed - super tight weave, so that it feels like a 10 ounce pair of jeans and silky, although it actually weighs in at 13.5 ounces. The construction is very good, and the details are very, very good. Hardware is custom and top grade. Pockets are in a silky herringbone, and back pockets are halflined with the same. I have to admit that the use of selvedge is a little too much - outseam, crotch, back belt loop, coin poicket.

I know that Rye disagrees with me on the general assessment of the jeans. He thinks that they are well made, but a clumsy cut, and not worth the retail. I agree only in part. I think that they were a great buy at $220 or so, and that the cut, while comfy and mostly flattering, could use a little better balance.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Well, I liked the cut, construction, denim, and details. And they were on sale.

The top block is considerably more comfortable and flattering than pretty much every repro jean I've tried on. It's a low rise without being ball constricting, and the thighs are cut quite straight. And I like the true pegleg style (straight down from hips, so the leg is pretty loose) that is quite antitrend right now. The denim is some of the most comfortable denim I've ever worn, either raw or washed - super tight weave, so that it feels like a 10 ounce pair of jeans and silky, although it actually weighs in at 13.5 ounces. The construction is very good, and the details are very, very good. Hardware is custom and top grade. Pockets are in a silky herringbone, and back pockets are halflined with the same. I have to admit that the use of selvedge is a little too much - outseam, crotch, back belt loop, coin poicket.

I know that Rye disagrees with me on the general assessment of the jeans. He thinks that they are well made, but a clumsy cut, and not worth the retail. I agree only in part. I think that they were a great buy at $220 or so, and that the cut, while comfy and mostly flattering, could use a little better balance.

Maybe they are meant for big guys. I picked up a pair of these at shopjake, and I like them. They don't fit quite as well as my Earnest Sewn Fulton's (my gold standard for fit,) but fit better than my 5EP straight rigid and much much better than all the other premium jeans I have tried, which is a LOT. With a touch lower rise and a slightly slimmer lower leg they would be perfect. The denim is pretty unique too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads