Recent purchases

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by minya, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

I bought a pair of dickies duck pants. They need some slight alteration here and there but for 16$ i am quite pleased.

2. London

London Senior member

Omega Seamaster Chronograph

3. xchen

xchen Senior member

He goes to a commuter college though which apparently is nothing like an undergraduate university. Mostly older guys on their way to or from work. It should be fine for dressing business casual which seems to be the norm there.

There are a lot more older people than a normal college, but I mainly dress business casual because I leave from school to go to work. By business casual it's usually khakis (Express for the pants mainly), dress shirts, and either dress shoes or Chucks. If I wear Chucks I'll likely wear denim and still wear a dress shirt.

I don't feel that I am really overdressed most days, but people do notice me for it I feel. I prefer dress shoes with jeans most of the time anyways, except for the Converses.

4. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Yea, it's definitely understandable for the situation. I think he was just thinking a typical university with a bunch of 18-22 year olds. There is pretty much no one except a few frat guys (who wear your ensemble in a very douchy way) and professors who wear that business casual look to classes.

Ughhh. After browsing this site and the MC section, it's hard to stomach some of the outfits the professors wear. It's like they went to Sears and said "Hi. Make me look terrible."

5. whacked

whacked Senior member

6. cielo

cielo Senior member

How do you like the SPURRS? I got mine last year (Classic fit) and love the feel of them, as well as the loose, comfortable fit. The brand never got a lot of love here, and the product is expensive, but I imagine that the slim cut would suit a lot of folks here.

Sorry, I didn't realize there was convo about the SPURRs. In all honesty, I didn't really know what I had purchased until I returned from the store and did some research. The R&B RB6 is my favorite cut and I've been wanting something similar. These SPURRs (not sure which style I have) are very close to the RB6, albeit roomier. In fact, when I was examining them at Jeremy's, I noticed the horizontal stitching on the back pockets a la R&B. I've got other jeans "in rotation", but I'm anxious to see how these wear.

I was tempted to pick up a pair you had but it was a size or two too small. [​IMG]

Back to what LAG said, I forgot that the "THIS IS SELVAGE" details to the jean also turned me off a lot.

Could you post pics? I'm curious to see what it'd look like on a skinny guy since I'm more with Harris that it was probably meant for bigger guys.

While I certainly don't need the extra selvage details, they don't bother me since they are all hidden. Same goes with the leather patch. I seldom tuck my shirts and if I do with these jeans, I probably won't loop the belt through.

I'm not exactly skinny, but I snapped a quick picture. The reason I got them so cheap is 'cause the top button fell off (you can tell in the pic). They included it; I just need to get it fixed.

[​IMG]

A very awesome find at Salvation Army today (I'll need some help ID'ing them, but that's another thread ):

[​IMG]

The jeans are a little short and I'm not wearing the right shoes, but here's a quick pic:

[​IMG]

7. xchen

xchen Senior member

Yea, it's definitely understandable for the situation. I think he was just thinking a typical university with a bunch of 18-22 year olds. There is pretty much no one except a few frat guys (who wear your ensemble in a very douchy way) and professors who wear that business casual look to classes.

Ughhh. After browsing this site and the MC section, it's hard to stomach some of the outfits the professors wear. It's like they went to Sears and said "Hi. Make me look terrible."

Yeah, I do not dress like the normal college student, and I am sure I get noticed for that. My girlfriend is coming over tonight when she gets back from Chicago and if she has her camera I'll have her snap a couple pics of a few typical outfits for me to give you guys an idea of what I'd typically wear. Until I have a camera and can post in WAYWT regularly, that's all I have to work with.

On a side note: I saw a professor or department head walk into my history class to discuss something with my professor. He was wearing a suit with a dress shirt (no tie). I'd say the suit was a medium grayish color with maybe a little tan in there with some pinstripes. No tie or pocket square, and his shoes were suede hiking shoes, tan with black detailing (possible Merrell). The shoes looked similar to willsw's dated rollerblades. [​IMG]

On topic: ordered this on ebay yesterday.
    [​IMG]
    I felt like I needed a denim shirt after seeing how nice SuperBobo's looks over in WAYWT. I'll probably wear it with khakis, but will likely wait until it is cooler and add some layering as well.

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I have to admit that the use of selvedge is a little too much - outseam, crotch, back belt loop, coin poicket.

I just saw the most THIS IS SELVAGE jean at Saks yesterday. DSquared raw selvedge jeans with selvege shown across the back yoke, coin pocket, and pretty much anywhere else you could have a selvage seam show it was there.

9. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I just saw the most THIS IS SELVAGE jean at Saks yesterday. DSquared raw selvedge jeans with selvege shown across the back yoke, coin pocket, and pretty much anywhere else you could have a selvage seam show it was there.
    How much did you cop it for?

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

It would have gone great with the pink gingham D2 western shirt [​IMG]

no way to salvage all the selvage

11. blank

blank Senior member

How much did you cop it for?

GS didn't have a chance; DSQUARED2 chartered a jet and showed up at the store, shoulderblocking his way to the denimz

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I don't remember the brand at this moment, but recently, I saw a pair of jeans with selvedge all along the waistband. Yeah, it's the "More is more" philosophy of design.

I have not seen jeans with both a selvedge outseam and inseam yet, but the day is coming. There are going to be some $3K jeans with the body pieces woven whole, on looms.

13. jet

jet Persian Bro

Hey lag, can they fake selvage? Seems awfully suspect how there is an unlimited supply of this shit.

14. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

I bought a pair of dickies duck pants. They need some slight alteration here and there but for 16$ i am quite pleased.

sounds interesting! please post pics when you done alterations.

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Hey lag, can they fake selvage? Seems awfully suspect how there is an unlimited supply of this shit.

You can't fake selvedge, but it doesn't take some extra-very-special machines to do it either. I mean, you can't do it on a projectile loom, but it's not super-duper-secret technology. It used to be that no one cared, so many fewer companies bought selvedge fabric, and thus less selvedge fabric was produced.

Actually, I've seen "fake" selvedge, or rather, selvedge made using projectile looms. The edges have open ends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.