• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hchamp

Reaction score
From Esquire

38. POLISH YOUR MID- AND DARK-BROWN SHOES WITH BLACK SHOE POLISH. This will create darker shades near the seams and gradually deepen the patina all over.
http://men.msn.com/articlees.aspx?cp...=808246&page=2

He's got a point - forgoing the brown polish is going to save you $4.99, and who doesn't like that? But does this really work? Has anyone tried black polish on brown shoes? Results?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
it works. but you got to do it several times before it takes on a really noticeable change in color. shoe polish wax is mostly translucent so it won't impart color right away.

i do like a bit of darker and antiqued browns in my footwear, but i wouldnt do that to ALL my shoes. i do want to keep lot of my brown shoes pure to their original color , thus i still will purchase a tin of brown.

try not to impart too much color on the vamp and crease areas:

1) it will lighten and perhaps even flake (depending on how you applied) in those flexible areas.

2) you get more depth and visual dramatic coloring patina when darkening only the toe cap and the heels.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That article was much better overall than I had anticipated. And yes, I have found that black polish used over time on mid-brown shoes will have a nice effect.....sadly I can't help but believe that it's due to build up around seems and stitching, but it looks nice in either event.
confused.gif

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use Black and Cordovan shoe polish on brown shoes....the shoes develop their own personality, and they are now unique as there is no other absolutly identical shoe to it in the world.

Regards.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just used black shoe polish to darken an A-E Fairfax in merlot that was much lighter than its mate. The project turned out very well, and the shoes are now well matched and handsome. The color is now also darker and richer than A-E's usual merlot.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think AEs make ideal subjects for these multicolored polish experiments, because while the leather is good quality and the company offers a number of different colors, they are invariably pretty flat an "crayola" colored. I have a whole arsenal of different creams (chestnut, dusky brown, cordovan, tan, navy, and a few others I can't recall) so that I can play around, and so that I don't end up with 4 pairs of identically colored Chilli shoes.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
I think AEs make ideal subjects for these multicolored polish experiments, because while the leather is good quality and the company offers a number of different colors, they are invariably pretty flat an "crayola" colored.

Well, real patina is earned, by wearing and polishing the shoes. I have Chili shoes that have some depth to them, after wearing and polishing them over 3 or 4 years.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm against - black polish never seems to look right on anything but black shoes. And I'm definitely not against using the wrong color... just black always ends up looking grainy on the surface to me, and sticks in the seams really well which doesn't look good IMO.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Black by itself doesn't do a very good job, but I do often mix black with brown to darken and antique shoes.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I only use black to darken some of my shoes' front part, because that area was darker when I bought them. Rest should age and the patina should go darker naturally, imho.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
32. THE CLASSIEST COLOR FOR BLACK TIE IS BLACK. How to break it: If you're a maverick, you can try midnight blue or dark chocolate.

Interesting, hadnt thought of that.

46. YOU DON'T NEED TO BUTTON EVERY BUTTON. On a two-button suit, button only the top button. On a three-button suit, button only the middle one. On a one-button suit, well, you don't have much choice.

Interesting...hadnt thought of that
plain.gif

48. CHECK YOUR FLY BEFORE ANSWERING THE DOOR.

I prefer to check it every 5 minutes just to feel secure.
laugh.gif

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
32. THE CLASSIEST COLOR FOR BLACK TIE IS BLACK. How to break it: If you're a maverick, you can try midnight blue or dark chocolate.

Interesting, hadnt thought of that.

I'm pretty sure there was an RLPL version in chocolate a few years back.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
2. INVESTING IN QUALITY OFTEN MEANS INVESTING IN THE THINGS YOU CAN'T SEE. Like the movement inside a mechanical watch, the full hand-canvasing in a jacket, or the hand-stitched uppers of your shoes.

The best bespoke English shoemakers sew everything on the shoe by hand except for the uppers, which are sewn by machine.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I'm against - black polish never seems to look right on anything but black shoes. And I'm definitely not against using the wrong color... just black always ends up looking grainy on the surface to me, and sticks in the seams really well which doesn't look good IMO.

I used it on a pair of very dark brown shoes, and the result has been beautiful. I then used it on a pair of mid-brown shoes, and I see the speckled/grainy look to which you refer. It may be the color contrast, or it may be the leathers themselves...I don't know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads