• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hchamp
Those aren't before and after pictures, right? Just different lighting? Because the ones on top look lighter. Anyway, they look nice. You can definitely see the black antiquing. For each layer of black, how many larers of cord/brown/conditioner did you use?
Yeah, just different lighting. Camera I had at the time had a broken flash, so I made do with what I had. Only used one layer of black (and probably about five or six layers of cordovan and brown). It brought the color down a fair bit, but the main issue was that they were already pretty dark because of everything else. You probably don't need more than one layer to get the effect you want, unless it's darkening a specific area further (toes and quarters or whatever).

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
if your shoes were originally aniline dyed by manufacturer, the color will not come off with acetone. acetone is not strong enough to chemically undo the aniline dye.

a crust leather used by EG or some certain santoni handmade models with the hand-antiqued/polished leathers , those will be of a bit of danger to have the original color come off with acetone.

Your parents sure knew what they were doing when they named you, shoe. What is "crust leather"?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hchamp
Your parents sure knew what they were doing when they named you, shoe. What is "crust leather"?

It's undyed leather. EG colors the leather themselves.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
hchamp, dont know how new you are here , but here is an old photo of mine (many people have seen this already), just wanted to show you on how I turned an ordinary straight TAN Polo Tellman captoe into an antiqued dark brown.

you can do it with brown polish , some burgundy and brown shoe cream. you dont need black polish.

IMGP0706.jpg

IMGP0709.jpg

others here have done this as well with their Polo tellmans and other tan or light brown shoes.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, if those started in what I picture in my mind as tan, thats insane

hchamp

Reaction score
hchamp, dont know how new you are here , but here is an old photo of mine (many people have seen this already), just wanted to show you on how I turned an ordinary straight TAN Polo Tellman captoe into an antiqued dark brown.

you can do it with brown polish , some burgundy and brown shoe cream. you dont need black polish.

IMGP0706.jpg

IMGP0709.jpg

others here have done this as well with their Polo tellmans and other tan or light brown shoes.

I hadn't seen these before. They're very nice. The seams are definitely darker, but not in an unattractive way. I'd like to get a close up, though.

With darker shoes I'm not so worried about using black or other colors. But with lighter tans, I think I'm with you and would go with a darker brown and maybe some cordovan.

Thanks.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did an antiquing experiment with a pair of new AE Clifton's I bought for $149 at a Nordstrom sale that were in Chestnut

the single biggest difference I got was using Meltonian "Navy Blue Marine" #21 cream to darken the areas that needed antiquing - just needed to be careful not to use too much

it became obvious to me why this was the case when I got some on my hands and couldn't get it off with soap and water and even with rubbing alcohol. I finally used cleanser and rubbed as hard as I could and that did the trick. Black creams and pastes easily wash off with water if they get on your hands but the indigo dye in the Navy creams really sticks, so it's an antiquer's best friend if used sparingly

here's a before and after type picture

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...g?t=1188502598

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, very nice norcal.

is that the exact same shoe taken at different times? the pic is playing tricks on my mind...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1
the single biggest difference I got was using Meltonian "Navy Blue Marine" #21 cream to darken the areas that needed antiquing - just needed to be careful not to use too much

nice. that's the same navy creme I use as well, works great

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Wow, very nice norcal.

is that the exact same shoe taken at different times? the pic is playing tricks on my mind...

the pair on the left is brand new - it's my brother's pair....once he saw what I did to mine, he gave them to me to antique because it was such a huge difference
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I actually bought two pairs of Chesnut AE Clifton's at the last Nordstrom's sale and figured that I would practice antiquing on one pair (the one pictured) and then practice using shoe dyes on the other to see if I could antique them that way first to an even darker hue.

I ordered some Lincoln dark brown dye to attempt to make them more of an oak or tobacco color. I'm going to use acetone first and then bleach to strip the color down even more and make it blotchy so that when it's dyed, it may come out semi-antiqued. Then I'll use creams and pastes to finish the job like on the first pair. I'll post pictures when this second project is done in about a week.

Wish me luck...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...g?t=1188502598

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score

IMGP0706.jpg

IMGP0709.jpg

Those came out awesome . . .

SplurgeFrugal

Reaction score
I use black polish sometimes on the toe caps of brown shoes just to give them a bit more gloss and emphasis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads