1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Discoloration on new Carmina Double Monks using Saphir cream

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cmusgrove, Feb 9, 2019.

1. cmusgrove

cmusgrove Member

I recently bought a new pair of Carmina Double Monks 80343 (Rain Last) in a tan color. I like the look of a slight patina on the toe cap to make the toe slightly darker. In the past, I use Saphir cream with a similar color to the shoe and mix in a darker color as to not go too dark with the contrast. I rub the cream in with my bare finger to achieve a smooth application of the cream and then brush with my horsehair brushes until the cream has smoothed out and faded. I use the Saphir Medaille D'or High Gloss to melt the cream a bit and fade any stripes left from the colored cream. I repeat this until I have the desired color

On this new pair, I followed the above steps and after applying the Saphir Medaille D'or High Gloss, one of the two toe caps discolored substantially (see photo). The other shoe did not. I was using a new can of the Saphir Medaille D'or High Gloss, as my other one was almost empty. I noticed that this high gloss wax behaved differently from my previous cans in that it liquifies upon touch and tends to make a mess of the wax coat on the shoe. I think this can may have too many solvents in it and prevents the wax from hardening.

I have tried using Saphir Reno Mat to strip off the darker cream coat I put on, but it seams that the High gloss wax solvents have now embedded the color into the leather permanently. I feel I have tried everything to restore the shoe to its original color, but cannot seem to find a way to do this.

If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know. If not, then I have to replicate this color on the other shoe and blend it in as to not further darken this patch. I would appreciate advice on how to achieve this.

IMG_4596.jpg

2. cmusgrove

cmusgrove Member

An update...I contacted Carmina via email. No response other than the auto response "we have received your message...". I called them to inquire as well and they asked that I send my question to 2 different people at Carmina US.

7 days now and no response. Very, very poor customer service.