• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just watched someone die

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sorry to hear that, when it doesn't effect you, you have a problem.

I've seen a few people die, and a couple of friends. a few in situations of extreme truma. never nice.

migo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I hate to say this but you'll never get that image out of your head.

at my old school in Kenya they were doing construction on the roof 4 stories high...one of the builders lost his footing on the roof and fell off. We saw it happen in front of our eyes. Thankfully he was okay because he had managed to grab a drain pipe which slowed the fall a little bit. Like ed said though, the event has never left my head.

Raz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
sorry to hear that, when it doesn't effect you, you have a problem.

I've seen a few people die, and a couple of friends. a few in situations of extreme truma. never nice.

+1

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
A construction worker just fell to his death across the street. I heard a loud thud, glass breaking, and another thud. I looked outside to see some poor soul's mangled body on the sidewalk, back obviously broken and not moving. At this point I don't know if it was suicide or a dumb accident but there doesn't appear anywhere he could've fallen from except for the very top of the nearly finished building -- there are no balconies over where he fell and landed on the glass awning. I called 911.

Interesting you only heard a "thud". I saw a video of the 9/11 attack, and the sound of the bodies striking the ground was like a car crashing through the side of a building. It was loud.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hchamp
Interesting you only heard a "thud". I saw a video of the 9/11 attack, and the sound of the bodies striking the ground was like a car crashing through the side of a building. It was loud.

It was loud, but it was only 30 stories -- much less than the WTC. It was damn loud actually as he hit a glass overhang (which shattered but as I assume is safety glass, it did not fall). They're cleaning up the glass now but I assume they will have to do something with the sidewalk as it is still apparent where it happened. Before I looked out the window and saw what had happened, I assumed something large had been dropped from one of the construction cranes on the surrounding sites.

I'm doing OK. I think it is better to know that it was a suicide rather than a random accident. The poor guy would've found some way to off himself. I do feel badly for this guy's family and also the workers who were in the building that gave him directions on how to get to the roof.

Strange, but there was not one mention of it in the news or in the paper.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
Strange, but there was not one mention of it in the news or in the paper.
As globetrotter said, when it doesn't affect you is when you have a problem. I think the press have a sort of (general) self-imposed ban on reporting suicides, to avoid giving people ideas. Funny that they don't apply that logic to other news.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
As globetrotter said, when it doesn't affect you is when you have a problem.

I think the press have a sort of (general) self-imposed ban on reporting suicides, to avoid giving people ideas.

Funny that they don't apply that logic to other news.

Not true in all cases, they have no problems reporting suicide bombers. Especially on Al-Jazeera.

Jon.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Not true in all cases, they have no problems reporting suicide bombers. Especially on Al-Jazeera. Jon.
That's what I meant by "general" in the post above - they make exceptions for suicides of political etc. interest.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
As globetrotter said, when it doesn't affect you is when you have a problem.

I think the press have a sort of (general) self-imposed ban on reporting suicides, to avoid giving people ideas.

Funny that they don't apply that logic to other news.

I read a study that showed a correlation between a news story of a suicide, and a spike in the suicide rate. I don't have the book at hand, but can get it this evening.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Have you even read Al Jazeera?

I believe most of us have seen it, quoted in US/UK newspapers or clips on television. A better Islamic apologist retort may have been to mention the suicide of David Cho at Va Tech and how that was covered.

Never seen anyone die, have seen some pretty brutal beatdowns, that's about it. Must've been tough Hoff.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I read a study that showed a correlation between a news story of a suicide, and a spike in the suicide rate. I don't have the book at hand, but can get it this evening.

I think that's from Malcolm Gladwell's book Blink, although maybe it's Tipping Point

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's horrible how the company is appealing the $250,000 fine from Work Safe.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas

Stands to reason. A good friend of mine shot himself, and a mutual friend shot himself about six weeks later.

About a half-dozen friends of mine have "eaten the gun." Several other people I have know have killed themselves in different manners like jumping off a train. My first wife died of injuries sustained in an explosion. She most probably died because she turned on the gas in a histrionic suicide attempt--she had threatened her boyfriend that she was going to commit suicide the night before--but she probably forgot about the pilot light and...KA-BOOM! She lingered, horribly mutilated and burned, for the better part of two weeks before taking the Long Trail. This was a couple of months after we had ended our short-lived marriage. That was a rough season!

Brian SD

Reaction score
One night almost 3 years ago exactly, I was playing a game online with my buddy (a friend of mine since elementary school), and we're having a fun time and I hear a loud bang in the background. Immediately I start typing to him that I heard a gunshot, which was followed only seconds later by cop car sirens. I thought there was some kind of shooting.

When I hear my neighbor's car rolling up to their driveway and they're getting out yelling and being frantic with each other, I pull up to the window of my room and ask my neighbor if they heard the gunshot. My response was, "Brian get your ass down here, your sister was just in a car accident."

My dad's out on a fishing trip with my uncle, my mom trying to sleep, so I grab her and we go down less than a block from our house and on the corner of the street is my neighbor's friends Honda CR-V, laying on its side, and a cop car smashed into a fence a few feet in front of it with it's lights on. The cops at the scene (they were there immediately, the one following the one who hit my neighbor's car (the bastards were both going 90 mph in a 45-zone with their lights off – the reason? a vandalism call) set up a scene and closed the streets right away. They kept telling us my sister was going to a hospital, and they were switching their story like crazy about which hospital she was going to and when we could be there. Still, even after my house was bombarded with "grief counselors" and cops and neighbors, I took their word that she was sitting on a bed getting emergency care, and I didn't believe it for a minute when my remaining sister told me that my 18-year old kid sister didn't make it.

**** life is bullshit sometimes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads