• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just watched someone die

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A construction worker just fell to his death across the street. I heard a loud thud, glass breaking, and another thud. I looked outside to see some poor soul's mangled body on the sidewalk, back obviously broken and not moving. At this point I don't know if it was suicide or a dumb accident but there doesn't appear anywhere he could've fallen from except for the very top of the nearly finished building -- there are no balconies over where he fell and landed on the glass awning. I called 911.

I'm a little weirded out and can't seem to return to work.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He was quite dead on impact, I'm certain. About 30 seconds after it happened no one had yet covered up the body (understandably no one wanted to move him) and a double decker bus full of tourists drove by about 30 feet from the spot. Awful.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
He was quite dead on impact, I'm certain. About 30 seconds after it happened no one had yet covered up the body (understandably no one wanted to move him) and a double decker bus full of tourists drove by about 30 feet from the spot. Awful.

Damn, Hoff, maybe you should take the rest of the day off.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I hate to say this but you'll never get that image out of your head.

This is true. Though most of the 18-Wheeler+Bus accident I was in is a frantic blur, I can still remember exactly the position of the bus-driver's body after he went through the windshield and into a wall. Goofing around with my videocamera, I had taken footage of him getting onto the bus just 10 minutes prior. I've still never watched that tape.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How unfortunate.

Hopefully, once you get past the shock of seeing it, it won't negatively affect your life. It's something that really makes you come to terms with your feelings and beliefs on life, death, and yourself.

I had a few similar experiences in my youth. Best of luck, man.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Where did this happen? What company is managing the project? Is it a large outfit?

Construction is very dangerous, it's essential people take safety seriously or events like that can happen anywhere.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poor man. Sympathies to his family and friends whoever they are. I hope you can find a way to cope with that gruesome sight Hoff. Best wishes,

EL

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I hate to say this but you'll never get that image out of your head.

I'm sure. I've been in two car accidents where there was a fatality and I can easily picture both.

It is odd to still hear the sounds of construction happening. This particular site is cordoned off by police but there are four other construction sites nearby still working. Now that I look again the only places he could've fallen from were the very top of the building or the balcony of the penthouse (30th floor).

Originally Posted by Cavalier
Where did this happen? What company is managing the project? Is it a large outfit?

I hope this wasn't a dig for a tip on a stock to short. It was in downtown Vancouver on a residential highrise (that I'm waiting for completion to move in to). The company is a large one for Vancouver / BC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads