• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes the best cotton t-shirts?

suitsyousir

Reaction score
I love t-shirts and would wear nothing else (except for weddings etc).

But I have a hard time finding ones I really like. Usually the problem is that the cotton is too heavy, or the collar too thick. For me, the ideal t-shirt would be very lightweight cotton, with a narrower collar.

Gap are ok in shape terms, but too heavy. Fruit of the loom are the same but with a clumsy collar too. I had a wonderful comme des garcons t-shirt a few years back which was perfect in weight and shape, but haven't found anything similar since.

I live in London (UK) so I imagine there must be somewhere that does a better than average t-shirt. I don't mind paying a bit more, but I don't know which shops might have what i'm looking for. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried the Gap t's in pima cotton? Very lightweight and comfortable, and fit fairly well in athletic fit.

kbuzz

Reaction score
shorty...can you give us any more info on goodwear usa. I like the fact the stuff is made in the states. What are their t shirts like..thin...thick..do they have a high or low neck...etc

suitsyousir

Reaction score
thank you all for your help.

The Gap pima cotton t's sound like just the job, but they don't seem to be available on their website.

Splendid mills also interesting too.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
Have you tried the Gap t's in pima cotton? Very lightweight and comfortable, and fit fairly well in athletic fit.

I think this is the thirtieth time we've answered this question, but I second (or thirtieth) the Gap pima cotton tees in the "athletic" fit. They're cheap, last pretty well, and are lightweight. Banana Republic "fitted crew" are also pretty good and reasonably priced.

If you've got lots of money to burn and like the little luxuries, the Helmut Lang egyptian cotton tees are nice. They can still be found fairly easily on yoox and places, but run $50-150 depending on location (retail originally was about $125-150). I've got tons of these but don't find them much better than the Gap ones, especially at 10x's the price.

Other designers that make nice tees (if you have the money and inclination) are Jil Sander's "essential" tee line... priced retail around $100 and quite nice, Theory (light with a little stretch) aren't bad either.

You may also want to use the search function, as there are lots of discussions about tees and I'm sure you'll find more brands in them as well.

Babar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Other designers that make nice tees (if you have the money and inclination) are Jil Sander's "essential" tee line... priced retail around $100 and quite nice, Theory (light with a little stretch) aren't bad either.
I bought a couple of "The Essential Tees" by Jil Sander on Yoox for about €20 a pop some time ago, and they're probably the best fitting tees I have (I'm wearing one right now actually!). I found them to run somewhat big though, so as I'm between sizes, I had to go with the lower size. A designer tee I would be more wary about is Dior Homme. I picked up one at the sales but after a few normal machine washings, not only did it shrink, but the entire body twisted itself somewhat too.. It might have been a production anomality or something, but the overall quality is just really underwhelming for the price. The cotton is tissue thin and flimsy, unlike the ones by Sander which are sturdier.

kbuzz

Reaction score
just emailed mjkrell about a bamboo t last night....

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Babar
I bought a couple of "The Essential Tees" by Jil Sander on Yoox for about €20 a pop some time ago, and they're probably the best fitting tees I have (I'm wearing one right now actually!). I found them to run somewhat big though, so as I'm between sizes, I had to go with the lower size.

A designer tee I would be more wary about is Dior Homme. I picked up one at the sales but after a few normal machine washings, not only did it shrink, but the entire body twisted itself somewhat too.. It might have been a production anomality or something, but the overall quality is just really underwhelming for the price. The cotton is tissue thin and flimsy, unlike the ones by Sander which are sturdier.

Yeah, the Dior tees I've seen/had are quite sub-par, especially from seasons after 2004 or so. I've had a few and quickly learned my lesson. I think Dior realizes that the high-school kids who can't afford $1800 blazers will buy the $120 tshirt because it is Dior regardless of whether or not it is actually a decent tshirt.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loopwheeler........

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
Loopwheeler........

Loopwheeler and Flat Head.
Both actually are loopwheeled and are of the same quality.
I like the fit on the Flat Head shirts better because they're cut shorter and i like the contrast stitching on some of the colors..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads