• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
- 2 Bijan suits, made by Kiton I believe (retail price is insane, $12,000 or so each)
- a very cool Jil Sander 'Tailor Made' 3-button tweed jacket
- 4 pairs of Allen Edmonds, two of which are brand new - not even a scratch on the soles
- a really nice pair of Alden split-toe norwegians, in cordovan - elegant shape
- an even nicer pair of sleek Zegna Couture loafers, near-new
- a dozen pairs of Zanella trousers
- a few handfuls of nice ties - RLPL (made by T&A), Turnbull & Asser, Stefano Ricci, Brioni, Faconnable, Brooks Bros, recent Gucci, Talbott B.O.C., J Press, etc.
- about half a dozen big bags full of suits/jackets/pants/shirts from Zegna, Talbott, Burberry, Hickey Freeman, etc

And for myself I got a lilac-colored Zara spread collar dress shirt, with a nice weave to the fabric, and a vintage solid black slim-cut western shirt with black and silver snaps.

Are you the new pejsek?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I did pretty well here. 230 total for 20 shirts and ties.

Surely cheap, but I think they look pretty pimp

http://www.silvershadow000.com/ebay/eterno/*****/20lot/20lot-14.5.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
On my way home, just picked up a surprisingly nice brown leather jean-jacket style jacket by Gap 1969 for $20. Just put on a coat of Vanson leather balm and it's looking pretty sweet.

There was a fellow thriftist in there at the same time, trying on jackets, that I am about 99% sure was Matt Deckard from the Fedora Lounge. If so, howdy Matt, you're right in my neighborhood.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
He had a well-fitted fedora, round glasses, brown (I think) pants and a cool green wool jacket with overlapping yokes (? - hard to describe). Looked vintage but in no way cheesy.

I on the other hand was sporting the latest in stylish motorcycle gear - an AA hoodie, black Vanson jacket and some bespoke black overpants with reflective stuff down the side. Oh, and my Triumph boots with big plastic pieces and reflective parts. Very stylish.
tongue.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Wow, that's a lot of fora firepower in that thrift shop. Deckard lives in southern California, I'm pretty sure, but he rambles afield quite a bit. MK from Fedora Lounge/Classic Style lives somewhere up there in Washington, I think. Maybe they were having a Classic Style confab.

You ought to go crash one of the Fedora Lounge events, J.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
These thrift stores are unbelievable. I've never been to one that wasn't full of awful crap.

Any good ones in the Boston area?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Wow, that's a lot of fora firepower in that thrift shop. Deckard lives in southern California, I'm pretty sure, but he rambles afield quite a bit. MK from Fedora Lounge/Classic Style lives somewhere up there in Washington, I think. Maybe they were having a Classic Style confab.

You ought to go crash one of the Fedora Lounge events, J.

They actually invited me one time, and I was rude and forgot about it until it was much too late. I think it was while I was in Japan.
shog[1].gif

I found Deckard's Myspace (sorry about the e-stalk man, but it was very easy, BTW something on your blog kills browsers) and he posted a blog about being in WA for a photoshoot of some kind today.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Alexander Julian (not 'Colours') 3" ties:

p1010519os2.jpg

Barbour moleskin gamevest w/suede shoulder patches (Made in England):

barbourgamevestoe5.jpg

Orvis tweed trousers, plain front, thankfully lined to the knee:

orvistweedtrouserszi1.jpg

All the above from the same thrift shop for about $10 total.

drbroadbent

Reaction score
Hi, I'll introduce myself briefly. I am 60 and struggled with weight my whole life. I always loved clothes but seldom dressed well, as I thought, "why dress up a whale." Not such a good attitude, I agree. I recently lost more than 100 pounds and am loving getting dressed up. I don't want to spend a ton of money on various wardrobes as I lose weight so started to buy in various thrift stores as my wife has been suggesting for many years.
So far: 1. golden fleece Brooks brother's suit in a dark charcoal, $7.95
2. Brooks Brothers Blazer, $6.95
3. (The prize!) a Paul Stuart MTM suit, dark gray wool, fits perfectly except had to have the pants taken up a few inches, $7.99. I'm a real fan of finding such gems. As long as I dry clean these items, even though I am assured that these clothes have been cleaned, I am a happy man. Love to read about more great deals.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^ Congratulations on the great finds, but even more on the weight loss. Several years ago I dropped a significant amount of weight (not as much as you, though!), and never want to go back.

Isn't it nice when you have to have things taken in instead of let out?

summej2

Reaction score
Rock on (like Bart Campolo, as we say---a man who always uses that phrase when we have spoken to him---end of digression).

My wife had a similar weight loss a few years back: thrifting has been a great way for her to look better and not feel a tinge of regret when she drops to a smaller size. She regularly snags Fray shirts and YSL Rive Gauche for a few dollars a pop.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC

Barbour moleskin gamevest w/suede shoulder patches (Made in England):

barbourgamevestoe5.jpg

Alan - great vest. I am very jealous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads