• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making Your Own Necktie

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Aside from this tutorial on Sam Hober's site:
http://www.samhober.com/necktie/howtomakeanecktie.htm

Are there any books or anything that one can obtain to learn how to construct a necktie?

I was wondering the same thing and decided that a good first attempt might be made by taking apart a tie (one you obviously don't care about), noting its construction, and then applying some of the information for Hober's site. I have yet to try it, but when I have a free weekend, it's a project I wish to attempt.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
I was wondering the same thing and decided that a good first attempt might be made by taking apart a tie (one you obviously don't care about), noting its construction, and then applying some of the information for Hober's site. I have yet to try it, but when I have a free weekend, it's a project I wish to attempt.

I deconstructed a tie and altered it myself to make it skinnier, I have a thread around Thanksgiving that I made about it. I took some lazy shortcuts but it wasn't bad. I guess the part I'm most confused about is the pattern they speak of on the Sam Hober site. I think I'll ask my tailor about it and see if he can fill in the gaps.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
David is going to start selling patterns and silk as well. He posted a thread yesterday.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well speak of the devil. Once I have a basic pattern and can make one, then I can't wait to start making my own patterns. Meanwhile, I have my heart set on making some lightweight summer ties.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am going to set up a new website (under construction at the moment). www.necktiesupplies.com It will have a section with more advice on making ties. The most important thing to remember is to go slowly and have fun.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by instar
I've made several ties using a pattern from McCall.

Post some photos, we'd love to see them.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Aside from this tutorial on Sam Hober's site: http://www.samhober.com/necktie/howtomakeanecktie.htm Are there any books or anything that one can obtain to learn how to construct a necktie?
Tie Collector, I have never seen a book on tie making, although there are patterns for sale and the occasional article here and there. Almost all ties these days are machine made or "hand made" on an assembly line - very, very quickly.... I have never seen high quality combed wool tie interlining fabric in a fabric store, and I am certain that it is no longer made in the USA. We have ours woven in Italy by small family run mills. And except for a few fabric stores in New York you will rarely see necktie silk for sale in a fabric store. Although you can buy inexpensive silk in a fabric store to make practice ties. As for patterns the commercial ones are a good start. The real secret to making a beatiful tie is the same as the one we learned as boys making model airplanes and boats - go slowly and carefully. Also if you really want to end up with a nice tie, making your own pattern will help you get a feel for how to change the shape. Lined six-folds or unlined seven-folds can also be made at home but you need lots of patience, and you need to have mastered standard three-folds first. The good news is that you won't need a pattern because you will be making your own patterns by the time that you are ready for complex constructions. I have made quite a few posts on the subject of interlinings, which along with my tie making instructions is enough to get you started. I will use the answers to questions to make an online guide on the new site (under construction) www.necktiesupplies.com I am curious to see what will be most popular: silk and wool by the yard or precut pieces. Comments or suggestions are appreciated as always. Maybe for the Christmas season some sort of package.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If I wanted to find good interlinings, I'd visit a thrift shop and buy up all the ugly but well made ties, and cut them open.

Glad to see you decided to offer the tiemaking kit.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eventually I would like to make my own patterns. Some of the patterns out there are pretty crazy that are woven into the fabric. No clue how you'd get a hold of a factory to do that for you. I know you can use silk paint and maybe I'll play around with it for my own Pucci-esque creations to start out with. How would one go about making their own fabric patterns?

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Eventually I would like to make my own patterns. Some of the patterns out there are pretty crazy that are woven into the fabric. No clue how you'd get a hold of a factory to do that for you. I know you can use silk paint and maybe I'll play around with it for my own Pucci-esque creations to start out with. How would one go about making their own fabric patterns?
When I was talking about patterns I meant the shapes that you would use to cut your silk and wool. If you are talking about the designs on the silk you can paint as you mention on white silk. If you have a silk screen setup that is a possibilty also. Perhaps some sort of photographic technique? Custom weaving at a silk mill takes months and there are minimum yardage requirements which might not work well for a home tiemaker. We weave by hand in Thailand but this is only suitable for a certain look.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
If I wanted to find good interlinings, I'd visit a thrift shop and buy up all the ugly but well made ties, and cut them open. Glad to see you decided to offer the tiemaking kit.
Hi J, The emails that you sent me a while back were very helpful. Thank you for your encouragement. Most thrift shop interlinings will not be of a high grade so be careful. If the shop lets you crumple the tie into a ball - see how it feels and the shape that it is in after you uncrumple it. You want wrinkle-resistance (from wool) but not stiffness from polyester etc. At first I will be offering just necktie silk and interlining wool. Later complete kits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads