• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I understand. They had some nice shepherd's check ties, too, but at the $30 level. I'd like to get one, but holding out for a price drop.

You'd like the linen better in person.

Where has our thrift superhero been? Pejsek--where are you?

blueorigami

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nashville
^^^^^^^^^ love those shoes^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks! I like 'em too. Today was half-price St. Patrick's Day sales all over. I picked up a pair of very nice slate grey linen trousers (1.23) and a 95% wool, 5% cashmere cable knit, v-neck sweater (4.00) in a very appropriate bright green.

I also found a pair of brand new merlot Weejuns in 91/2D for six dollars. They are a bit small for me, but I figured someone in SF land would like them. I'll be posting about them in the buying and selling thread (I'm "selling" them for the 6 plus actual shipping), but wanted to give the TRADly inclined thrifters a heads up. If interested just let me know.
smile.gif

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a good week this week - made a mid-week trip to the Georgian city of Bath in the West of England (for a business meeting) and scored in a thrift store there with two Brioni suits, two Brioni jackets and a pair of John Lobb Paris shoes - none of which fit me but all of which were too good not to buy and flip.

Then today I also had a run of good luck. I went to a small and slightly chaotic shop about two miles from home that I've had good luck in before. They had a bunch of bespoke and MTM stuff - a great 70s bespoke 3 piece that fit nicely but the fabric was just a little too wild (imagine a black suit with a white pinstripe and then a narrow line of bold gold dots between the pinstripes), a couple of Hickey Freeman canvassed suits (what is it with these - they keep turning up on this side of the pond at the moment), and star of the show - some Meyer & Mortimer bespoke suits and jackets. They didn't really fit me, but I brought a lovely cashmere jacket nonetheless - there's an incredible amount of handwork involved, and I think I might approach my tailor and ask if he fancies the challenge of getting it to fit. As I walked out I spotted a coat on the ladies rail which turned out to be a Mulberry (mid-high end English brand) covert coat in dark grey with suede collar and pocket trim.

Then in a store a little down the road I got two bespoke suits - a couple of years apart and different tailors, but obviously cut for the same guy. Nice DB models in good fabrics. The fit isn't perfect, but it's probably close enough I won't meddle with it.

There's a bunch of other stuff I didn't bother with too - including a nice canvassed black pure cashmere jacket that was waayyy too large. Good times!

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Congrats on your run of luck. When it rains it pours.

Originally Posted by SimonC
...a couple of Hickey Freeman canvassed suits (what is it with these - they keep turning up on this side of the pond at the moment),...

What's your across the pond opinion of them?

(VMan, I saw that sweater you removed--pretty cool.)

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, that's Brioni for Jack Taylor, not Jack Simpson. Sorry 'bout that. It wasn't quite right yesterday, so it's still at Mr. Bosco's.

Originally Posted by SGladwell
It's a midnight blue (thought black, but then went outside) and charcoal herringbone 1-button with onyx-set-in-white-gold (I think) buttons and side vents. Brioni for Jack Simpson! Very open quarters and a nice high buttoning point.

For $8.95!
smile.gif

Needless to say, it goes off to the tailor tomorrow.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"What's your across the pond opinion of them?"

The few I've seen seem to have a very low gorge, which gives the lapels an unusual look. I'll also stick my neck out here and suggest they've got quite a generous / American cut. Nice enough jackets / suits, but I find the Row and off-Row stuff that turns up equally frequently more interesting.

blueorigami

Reaction score
The constant barrage of pocket square folds, colors and textures have finally won me over and I have begun wearing them around the office. So this weekend I was keenly aware of their presence (or lack thereof) at my regular stops on the soutwest side. All in all, it was one of those disappointing trips that makes you question such a silly addiction. Though I did manage to pick up a Tie Rack red silk square (90 cents) with white dots. Of course, it doesn't seem to go with anything currently clogging the closet, but I'm sure that will change with due time and greater cooperation from Chicago's well-heeled.
tounge.gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just noticed that pejsek has returned to SF.

Where have you been, our esteemed leader.

What great finds did you make in your absence?

You were missed!

darin_arrick

Reaction score
Today, I dropped into a local Savers Thrift Store. Lots there, but I didn't have but a few dollars in pocket. I found one shirt that I thought about buying, then headed to the ties.

There were probably 300 ties hanging there. So, I just started running my hands through them, glancing hither and thither. The designer ties (Gucci, Lauren, etc.) were the most expensive; my guess for this is because they "sound expensive". Soon enough, my hand brushed against a heavy yet silken feel. I dug through the "hanging pile of ties" and pulled it out:

Turnbull and Asser tie, solid deep blue, 100% silk, very thick (seven-fold, I would assume?) - $3.99 + tax

Mine.
smile.gif

mbell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blueorigami
The constant barrage of pocket square folds, colors and textures have finally won me over and I have begun wearing them around the office. So this weekend I was keenly aware of their presence (or lack thereof) at my regular stops on the soutwest side.

Pocket squares are extremely rare in my thrifting experience. I've seen 2 or 3 that had been left in their jacket pockets, but they weren't worthwhile. One time I found a really nice one among some women's silk scarves. I need to remember to check the women's section of thrift stores more often, but I keep forgetting and, well, it feels a little weird. I suspect most thrift store employees wouldn't know what to make of a pocket square and probably don't know where to put them. Any suggestions on where to look for them in thrift store?

My good luck with shoes continues. I found some light brown Peal Brooks Brothers in excellent condition for $12. They have very wide soles, which at this point I am not sure about. I'll give them some time and see how I feel about them.

At the same store I found two Oxxford suits, both Onwentsia model and both with a Frost Brothers label. $16 each. I expect they are both reasonably old. I only got one of them as I didn't like the fabric of the other- middle grey stripes mixed with an odd shade of red. The one I kept was a fairly conservative charcoal with widely spaced pin stripes. It is a bit bland, maybe it has faded with age. The pants could stand a minor alteration, but otherwise a very good fit.

mike

jett

Reaction score
this thread is inspirational. I think I will go check out the shoe section of my local thrift store, could be a hell of a lot cheaper than the $300 Allen Edmonds I've been eyeing for my first "real" dress shoe.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jett
this thread is inspirational. I think I will go check out the shoe section of my local thrift store, could be a hell of a lot cheaper than the $300 Allen Edmonds I've been eyeing for my first "real" dress shoe.

You shouldn't ever have to pay $300 for Allen Edmonds... the most I've ever paid is $169. Try Nordstrom's Rack...

blueorigami

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jett

i see a lot of allen edmonds around my usual stops. in fact, a 10 dollar pair of cantons have been without question my most versatile shoe in and out of the office. of course finding the right size and good condition that takes dedication and/or luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads