The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Some great things this week, and one from a past week. I always like to find shirts with unusual colorways, and/or any shade of red or pink. This Seize Sur Vingt shirt has tan and pink and red and brown strong stripes punctuated by thin ones of light blue. Fitted cut. [​IMG] This shirt from Gianfranco Rao [ever heard of him?] has stripes of red married to dark gray, which is fairly unusual and makes the red pop even more. Fitted cut. [​IMG] This fitted shirt of simple broadcloth is a deep pink, which I love, and has double breast pockets with double-arcing pocket flaps like you’d find on a western style shirt. Cut is fitted and buttons are hot pink. But another fun thing is the label, which rocks all by itself: [​IMG] Felix was one store on Gurruchaga [in the Palermo district of Buenos Aires] just a block away from color/pattern mecca Bolivia. Felix was more punky & witty but had nothing I really wanted last year, so I was happy to find this in NYC. More info on Felix: http://superfuture.com/city/reviews/...d=3480&lang=EN Each was less than ten dollars.

2. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Senior member

I've been enjoying this thread for months, and I just-can't-resist a little, um, bragging of my own. So--today, at two different thrift stores, my brother and I found a minty Brioni double-breasted sport coat, charcoal wool with light blue-grey windowpane (a 46L, waaaay too big for either one of us, so it goes to a friend); two superb Tyrwhitt cotton/wool blend (I surmise) shirts, $3.99 each; a Dunhill dress shirt; a Gucci tie for $2.99; and an essentially new pair of Santoni "fatto a mano" semi-brogues in chocolate suede, 9's--my brother's size, and a perfect fit, $15.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I've been enjoying this thread for months, and I just-can't-resist a little, um, bragging of my own. So--today, at two different thrift stores, my brother and I found a minty Brioni double-breasted sport coat, charcoal wool with light blue-grey windowpane (a 46L, waaaay too big for either one of us, so it goes to a friend); two superb Tyrwhitt cotton/wool blend (I surmise) shirts, $3.99 each; a Gucci tie for $2.99; and an essentially new pair of Santoni "fatto a mano" semi-brogues in chocolate suede, 9's--my brother's size, and a perfect fit, $17.
    Welcome, excellent hauls!

Recently I got... (mil-spec listing follows)

Suit, Southwick 2B in 42L to flip, charcoal with faint pinstripes

Shirt-jacket, Pendleton dark green plaid , unconstructed with lapels and shirt button cuffs, $7ish

Jacket, Olive green with tan/green/black overcheck, 3B/2V, with ticket pocket, by Maenson of Regent St. (England) - a bit overzealous on my part because it is more of a 40L than I'd like, so I will probably put it up for sale.

Tie, Navy mohair/wool knit with no label, $3ish

Tie, Red with white and blue (or black, can't remember) thin stripes, Rober Talbott, trad width, $3ish - probably keep, but may flip if desperation strikes

Tie, Ferragamo, red with interlocking yellow/orange bird pattern, perfect shape, $3ish, keep/flip ditto

Sweater, turtleneck, lambswool, light gray heather, A&F (!) $6ish - I cut the labels off [​IMG]

Sweater, shawl collar, merino/reg. wool, brown dogtooth (?) knit, RL Polo, NWT, $7 (fits a bit loose, I may take it in or shrink it or something, but I like it with bigger jeans/pants)

Sweater, turtleneck, cashmere, camel, no tags but very high quality, $7ish

Jacket, medium/dark gray herringbone tweed, 3 button trad slim sack with narrow lapels, vintage Nordstrom Best, with SF-red printed lining, needed slight repair to vent lining (restitch) $6

Shirt, Polo RL Phillip, 15x33? gray/silver dress, may keep to use casually or sell since it is practically brand new, $? not much

Stud/cufflink sets (2), Gold(plate? probably not solid, but I'm 90% sure it's real gold) with onyx or black enamel, much better than standard crap rental stud set, one will go up for sale, copped for less than retail

Belt, black leather, BR, two spoke buckle, needed very simple repair, $6

Probably some stuff I'm forgetting...

4. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Sweet Jesus, I am really beginning to hate all of you. Someone score me some cheap, high quality 48L suits [​IMG]

5. darin_arrick

darin_arrick Active Member

Hi everyone.

A little background: I just starting thinking about dressing better/differently/with more style. Basically, I've worn jeans and t-shirts my whole life. Yes, even to most of my jobs (I'm a computer professional). I've worn some business casual, but always hated it. Now, I'm finding that, as I learn more about men's clothing, I wish to dress better, and I'm learning what I like and don't like, what goes where, how to coordinate, and what it all means. I've read Molloy's book (loved it), and a few others, plus hundreds of posts from AAAC and StyleForum.

The problem: I'm currently broke and looking for work. But, I have a few dollars to my name. So, in the interest of investing in myself, I went to the local Salvation Army store today. When I arrive, I see a couple of signs saying, "All clothing, 99 cents." It doesn't register in my brain. I walk to the men's section and immediately see a nice 3-piece suit. And some coats. And pants. And shirts. And and and. Hrm. I asked an attendant, and she said, "Yes; everything is 99 cents for today only." After standing there with mouth agape for a few minutes, I dig in and start finding things.

My approach was basically: grab things I like. If they have size markings, keep or discard accordingly. If they are a "big name" (no, not designer, necessarily; had a mental list of good names in my head learned from AAAC and SF) and within an inch or two, hold on to it. If no size markings and they MAY fit, put aside for trying on. I ended up with a pretty large pile and started running through it, trying things on, coordinating pants with coats, ties with the suit, etc.

Here's the haul:

Arrow Striped Broadcloth shirt with mandarin collar
    Plumes Harris Tweed Sport Coat (maybe a hair small, but I think it'll be fine)
    Boulevard of New York brown and tan Houndstooth wool pants
    Corbin of Huntington Navy Blazer
    Southwick Homer Reed navy blazer (missing a couple of buttons)
    Barrington Poly/Rayon Trousers
    Slates (by Dockers) Poly/Wool trousers
    Andrew Fezza 100% Worsted Wool medium-gray trousers
    Stafford Silk Tie (red, blue, gold, olive pattern)
    Grant Thomas Silk Tie (gold with small navy spots)

And (I think this is the best part of the deal, with plenty of caveats, of course):

3-piece suit. Labels inside show a capital T with a blue oval around it, and the other says "Visek Brothers Tailors, Washington, DC". Bespoke, maybe? I have no idea how to tell (yet).

The suit is too big for me. The pants are about a 36 (I'm 32), with legs way too long. The jacket's a bit big, and the sleeves are too long by probably 3/4" or so. The previous wearer had a larger chest than me and was taller; the vest is loose, but pinching a couple of inches in the back and lifting the vest up about 1.5" makes the front sit where it should ;-). I liked the fabric, though, and the price was too good to pass up. If the tailor can't fit it to me (and my guess is that he won't be able to), I'll let y'all know and put it up for grabs.

Now, how much did I pay for all this clothing? $50? $100?! A week's salary?!?! Nope. Everything except the ties was 99 cents. Yes, including the 3-piece suit. The ties were $1 and $2, respectively.

Yes, I bought some things that I wouldn't normally like (the poly blends). But, as I said: I'm broke and have no nice clothing. I think that something is better than nothing, so I started here. It was as much a learning experience as it was a shopping trip.

Total Expense: $12.77 and 4 hours
    Total Return: Clothes, education, frustration, fun, and I can't wait to go back for more. This is DANGEROUS.

6. Nashville

Nashville Senior member

nashville tn to Atlanta ga ...to Palm beach garden
    Sweet Jesus, I am really beginning to hate all of you. Someone score me some cheap, high quality 48L suits [​IMG]

I know thats right!![​IMG]

7. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Senior member

Ha! I forgot the--and yes, I'm telling the truth--Lock's of London brown houndstooth deerstalker cap.

No, really.

Blast, there doesn't seem to be a Sherlock Holmes smiley icon I can use to illustrate.

Wait, this one's kinda close...[​IMG]

8. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Ha! I forgot the--and yes, I'm telling the truth--Lock's of London brown houndstooth deerstalker cap.

I'm very jealous. I'll take comfort in the fact that it's almost certainly not my size.

9. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Senior member

Well, it gets worse...or better...depending on your POV. Today I found a perfect "100% vicuna" single-breasted overcoat, charcoal, and a great fit, even the sleeves. Thick fabric made in England, tailored by Jimmy Sung in Hong Kong; I would guess '50s, $19.

The Gods must have a ghastly comeuppance planned for my future...but at least I'll be well dressed for it.

10. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Well, it gets worse...or better...depending on your POV. Today I found a perfect "100% vicuna" single-breasted overcoat, charcoal, and a great fit, even the sleeves. Thick fabric made in England, tailored by Jimmy Sung in Hong Kong; I would guess '50s, $19.

The Gods must have a ghastly comeuppance planned for my future...but at least I'll be well dressed for it.

When I read posts like this I get a weird feeling in my chest and a sudden urge to bolt out the door to the nearest thrift store.

11. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Well, remember me in your will if you're around a 40R.

12. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Tried my first real op shop run today and did OK. Picked up two nice ties: a maroon Paul Smith with floral pattern, and a purple T.M. Lewin woven silk. Both $A1 (about $0.75) each.

I saw quite a few Brook Bros made in USA shirts for $2 each, but nothing that really grabbed me (just plain white & plain blue). Also a blue Baubridge & Key. Decided against those in the end.

I also saw a 42R Fendi DB glen plaid suit for $A50. Peaked lapels, black & white check with a discreet light blue overcheck. Really nice condition, and the coat fit perfectly. Sadly, the drop was too much and there was no way I could get into the pants. Sigh.

13. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

14. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

Quite a frustrating trip today - lots of nice stuff that didn't fit:

Beautiful Brioni loafers - like Tods, very flexible. £19.99

Pair of Church's brown suede bluchers. £34.99

Pair of bespoke riding boots - no makers label, but quality up there with Lobb / EG £25

Charvet shirt - my size, and in lovely condition except the cuffs. £8.50

Pair of Church's black captoes £24.99

Neiman Marcus grey Harris tweed jacket £19.99

A bit odd, but a wonderful bespoke bear-fur coat - very old, and very well made. £150 though.

15. darin_arrick

darin_arrick Active Member

lots of nice stuff that didn't fit

Sounds like the past 2 days of thrifting that I've done. I found many, many things that didn't fit. I'm a small guy, I guess (37 chest, 31 waist, 29 inseam). I've found lots of things WAY larger than I need. It makes me feel like I'm shopping in a land of giants.

But, one suit I bought because: a) it was 3-piece; b) it was 99 cents (!!!); and c) because I liked the fabric. It's too large (maybe 36 waist, and the guy was much taller than me), but maybe...JUST MAYBE...a good tailor could make it fit. Maybe not, but for a buck, it's worth a shot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.