• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Alan.

The best bit is that I bought them at an Epilepsy Foundation shop. Since, I am an epileptic myself, it was almost like making a donation to myself and getting the ties thrown in.

blueorigami

Reaction score
IMG_2813.jpg

A perfectly acceptable day along Milwaukee Avenue....Johnston and Murphy saddle shoes (8.95) and a "Briar" 50 cotton/50 silk tie (1.41. Why 41 cents? Why not!). Now I just need the 10 dollar seersucker and I'm ready for Easter Sunday.
smile.gif

Nashville

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^ love those shoes^^^^^^^^^^^

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lucked out today - found a Brioni jacket - it was 4 years ago I last found a Brioni piece at a thriftstore. I brought it on the spot, but it's a little too large for me (and probably a little mature for my style) so I've put it on the Selling board for about what I paid.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Also a blue Baubridge & Key.
Is that like Turnbull & Ashley?
smile.gif

graphix

Reaction score
well...not thrift, but a nice little ebay score this morning. I usually get home from work at like 1am so i browse ebay for the late night items that are ending at like 5 or 6 in the morning, usually there isnt much but i spotted this nice dior trench coat with removable lining and put a 45$ bid on it. Woke up this morning and i had won! sweet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0327&rd=1&rd=1

612f_1.JPG

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Due to bulging closets I've largely sworn off thrifting, but today I found the most amazing jacket that fit me well in the shoulders (a little more built up than my preference, but a changeup is sometimes a good thing) and chest. It's a midnight blue (thought black, but then went outside) and charcoal herringbone 1-button with onyx-set-in-white-gold (I think) buttons and side vents. Brioni for Jack Simpson! Very open quarters and a nice high buttoning point. For $8.95!
smile.gif
Needless to say, it goes off to the tailor tomorrow.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell
Due to bulging closets I've largely sworn off thrifting, but today I found the most amazing jacket that fit me well in the shoulders (a little more built up than my preference, but a changeup is sometimes a good thing) and chest. It's a midnight blue (thought black, but then went outside) and charcoal herringbone 1-button with onyx-set-in-white-gold (I think) buttons and side vents. Brioni for Jack Simpson! Very open quarters and a nice high buttoning point.

For $8.95!
smile.gif

Needless to say, it goes off to the tailor tomorrow.

Maybe I should try swearing off thrifting.

We need a pic of this one. Sounds impressive.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have been in London for a few days, and managed to find a little haul at the cluster of shops named "Retro" at the top of Notting Hill Gate, which again is more or less at the top of Portobello Road: - Polo navy tie, yellow pin-dots. - Cordings tie, in a woven mini-zig-zag pattern in light yellow, red and blue(this demands a photo, I know) - white merino wool knit vest, labelled "Milord", seemingly unused - Hackett silk pocket square, bright blue with yellow dots and edges. - Gieves & Hawkes yellow herringbone-weave shirt, moderate spread collar, double cuffs. - Pink pink/white/blue striped shirt, moderate spread collar, double cuffs. - Scottish cashmere scarf with varying stripes across in different earth tones. And from the tail-end of the sales in Jermyn Street: - TM Lewin shirt, mini-checks in blue and yellow. - TM Lewin shirt, varying stripes in blue and yellow. - Daks suit, unfinished hems, SB3B, working cuffs, brown lightweight flannel with very faint blue stripe, single vent, flat front trousers. I plan to have rather tall turn-ups put on the trousers, for variety, and as an experiment. Something like three inches. - A fistful of silk knots in various colours
Lond4.jpg
Lond3.jpg
No alterations needed on anything, except hemming the suit trousers. The trouble is, I still need some more shoes. Total cost: £270, approx. $550.
smile.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Have been in London for a few days, and managed to find a little haul at the cluster of shops named "Retro" at the top of Notting Hill Gate, which again is more or less at the top of Portobello Road:

- Polo navy tie, yellow pin-dots.
- Cordings tie, in a woven mini-zig-zag pattern in light yellow, red and blue(this demands a photo, I know)
- white merino wool knit vest, labelled "Milord", seemingly unused
- Hackett silk pocket square, bright blue with yellow dots and edges.
- Gieves & Hawkes yellow herringbone-weave shirt, moderate spread collar, double cuffs.
- Pink pink/white/blue striped shirt, moderate spread collar, double cuffs.
- Scottish cashmere scarf with varying stripes across in different earth tones.

And from the tail-end of the sales in Jermyn Street:
- TM Lewin shirt, mini-checks in blue and yellow.
- TM Lewin shirt, varying stripes in blue and yellow.
- Daks suit, unfinished hems, SB3B, working cuffs, brown lightweight flannel with very faint blue stripe, single vent, flat front trousers. I plan to have rather tall turn-ups put on the trousers, for variety, and as an experiment. Something like three inches.
- A fistful of silk knots in various colours

No alterations needed on anything, except hemming the suit trousers. The trouble is, I still need some more shoes.

Total cost: £270, approx. $550.
smile.gif

I'm a huge "turn-ups" fan but 3 inches is borderline clownish and almost definitely feminine. I wear 2 inch cuffs and I couldn't see any human being getting away with anything above 2 1/4-2 1/2, unless you're 6'10"-7 ft tall.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I'm a huge "turn-ups" fan but 3 inches is borderline clownish and almost definitely feminine. I wear 2 inch cuffs and I couldn't see any human being getting away with anything above 2 1/4-2 1/2, unless you're 6'10"-7 ft tall.
Mmmm...you may be right. OK, 2 1/2 inches then, I suppose. Lately, I think I've seen very tall turn-ups on some more fashion-forward clothes, though.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Recent tie acquisitions:

p1010269cr3.jpg

The Glen plaid Polo is from the outlet, and a rare 'real money' ($20) tie purchase for me, but it fills a particular need/want.

The remaining ties are thrift purchases. From left, Polo (outlet), Polo wool, Brooks Brothers linen and no name Made in Italy silk knit. I've probably got $5 total in the three thrift ties.

mbell

Reaction score
I haven't posted here in several months, so quite a bit to catch up on.

I've rarely had much luck finding shoes while thrifting, but have had some really great finds lately. One Goodwill had a bunch of quality shoes in my size, but most were not to my taste. I did buy a pair of Neiman-Marcus taupe suede monks with a basketweave cap toe. I'm not real sure how NM house brand shoes rate, but they seemed nice enough, unusual and in excellent condition. $13

I found some black Brooks Brothers shoes for about $10. Most of the markings on them were very worn, so I am not sure on the details. They were in excellent condition on the outside. I found some medium brown RL Polo shoes with details hand written on the inside. They were marked at $20. When I went to the counter I said to the lady "Doesn't $20 seem awfully high for a pair of used shoes?" She answered "Yes it does, especially since they have no laces." I got them for $9.99.
smile.gif

I found a couple pairs of J&M shoes that seem a little nicer than usual for them. One is a wingtip tassel loafer from the Aristocrat line. $12. The other is more casual, Italian made with really soft leather. Maybe cordovan? $8

I went through a long run of finding several very nice orphaned suit jackets, which was very frustrating. Then one day I find a beautiful dark grey pin stripe Oxxford Onwentsia suit jacket looking sad and alone without the trousers. I keep working my way down the line and there are the pants draped over the rack. The jacket is a near perfect fit. The pants were high and just a bit wide in the waist and low in the crotch, but my tailor fixed them up pretty well. $25 for the suit and about $30 in tailoring.

On another day I found an orphaned Southwick jacket. This time I had to hunt through the pants section of the store, but I lucked out and found the pants. The suit is navy with very subtle pin stripes, and an even more subtle underlying pattern that you can't really see from more than a few feet away. Very nice look and it fits just about like it was made for me. It is very light weight, which is good for the Texas climate. $15. I wore it to the Symphony with a light blue Burberry's French cuff shirt ($5) and Robert Tallbott tie ($1.50) and received many compliments.

Some other finds include charcoal Zegna pants for $8 and a "J." cashmere sweater for $4. It was Chinese but much nicer than most other Chinese cashmere I have seen.

At Marshall's I got a pair of dark indigo Banana Republic jeans for $5. At TJ Maxx I got a set of RL Polo "Luxury" PJs for $15. The original price was $225. Not sure what makes cotton PJs worth that much, but they are pretty nice.

If I can get my act together I will try to post some pictures.

mike

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
The Glen plaid Polo is from the outlet, and a rare 'real money' ($20) tie purchase for me, but it fills a particular need/want.

I've been looking at that same tie at my outlet, but so far the price hasn't dropped to less than $30. I might go $20, but $30 at an outlet might as well be a million.

Of your other finds, I particularly like the knit and the wool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads