The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Thanks Alan.

The best bit is that I bought them at an Epilepsy Foundation shop. Since, I am an epileptic myself, it was almost like making a donation to myself and getting the ties thrown in.

2. blueorigami

blueorigami Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A perfectly acceptable day along Milwaukee Avenue....Johnston and Murphy saddle shoes (8.95) and a "Briar" 50 cotton/50 silk tie (1.41. Why 41 cents? Why not!). Now I just need the 10 dollar seersucker and I'm ready for Easter Sunday.[​IMG]

3. Nashville

Nashville Senior member

nashville tn to Atlanta ga ...to Palm beach garden
    ^^^^^^^^^ love those shoes^^^^^^^^^^^

4. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

Lucked out today - found a Brioni jacket - it was 4 years ago I last found a Brioni piece at a thriftstore. I brought it on the spot, but it's a little too large for me (and probably a little mature for my style) so I've put it on the Selling board for about what I paid.

5. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Also a blue Baubridge & Key.
    Is that like Turnbull & Ashley? [​IMG]

6. graphix

graphix Senior member

well...not thrift, but a nice little ebay score this morning. I usually get home from work at like 1am so i browse ebay for the late night items that are ending at like 5 or 6 in the morning, usually there isnt much but i spotted this nice dior trench coat with removable lining and put a 45$ bid on it. Woke up this morning and i had won! sweet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0327&rd=1&rd=1

[​IMG]

7. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Due to bulging closets I've largely sworn off thrifting, but today I found the most amazing jacket that fit me well in the shoulders (a little more built up than my preference, but a changeup is sometimes a good thing) and chest. It's a midnight blue (thought black, but then went outside) and charcoal herringbone 1-button with onyx-set-in-white-gold (I think) buttons and side vents. Brioni for Jack Simpson! Very open quarters and a nice high buttoning point. For $8.95! [​IMG] Needless to say, it goes off to the tailor tomorrow.

8. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Due to bulging closets I've largely sworn off thrifting, but today I found the most amazing jacket that fit me well in the shoulders (a little more built up than my preference, but a changeup is sometimes a good thing) and chest. It's a midnight blue (thought black, but then went outside) and charcoal herringbone 1-button with onyx-set-in-white-gold (I think) buttons and side vents. Brioni for Jack Simpson! Very open quarters and a nice high buttoning point.

For $8.95! [​IMG]

Needless to say, it goes off to the tailor tomorrow.

Maybe I should try swearing off thrifting.

We need a pic of this one. Sounds impressive.

9. VMan

VMan Senior member

Fantastic find, SG.

10. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Have been in London for a few days, and managed to find a little haul at the cluster of shops named "Retro" at the top of Notting Hill Gate, which again is more or less at the top of Portobello Road: - Polo navy tie, yellow pin-dots. - Cordings tie, in a woven mini-zig-zag pattern in light yellow, red and blue(this demands a photo, I know) - white merino wool knit vest, labelled "Milord", seemingly unused - Hackett silk pocket square, bright blue with yellow dots and edges. - Gieves & Hawkes yellow herringbone-weave shirt, moderate spread collar, double cuffs. - Pink pink/white/blue striped shirt, moderate spread collar, double cuffs. - Scottish cashmere scarf with varying stripes across in different earth tones. And from the tail-end of the sales in Jermyn Street: - TM Lewin shirt, mini-checks in blue and yellow. - TM Lewin shirt, varying stripes in blue and yellow. - Daks suit, unfinished hems, SB3B, working cuffs, brown lightweight flannel with very faint blue stripe, single vent, flat front trousers. I plan to have rather tall turn-ups put on the trousers, for variety, and as an experiment. Something like three inches. - A fistful of silk knots in various colours [​IMG] [​IMG] No alterations needed on anything, except hemming the suit trousers. The trouble is, I still need some more shoes. Total cost: £270, approx. $550.[​IMG]

11. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Have been in London for a few days, and managed to find a little haul at the cluster of shops named "Retro" at the top of Notting Hill Gate, which again is more or less at the top of Portobello Road:

- Polo navy tie, yellow pin-dots.
    - Cordings tie, in a woven mini-zig-zag pattern in light yellow, red and blue(this demands a photo, I know)
    - white merino wool knit vest, labelled "Milord", seemingly unused
    - Hackett silk pocket square, bright blue with yellow dots and edges.
    - Gieves & Hawkes yellow herringbone-weave shirt, moderate spread collar, double cuffs.
    - Pink pink/white/blue striped shirt, moderate spread collar, double cuffs.
    - Scottish cashmere scarf with varying stripes across in different earth tones.

And from the tail-end of the sales in Jermyn Street:
    - TM Lewin shirt, mini-checks in blue and yellow.
    - TM Lewin shirt, varying stripes in blue and yellow.
    - Daks suit, unfinished hems, SB3B, working cuffs, brown lightweight flannel with very faint blue stripe, single vent, flat front trousers. I plan to have rather tall turn-ups put on the trousers, for variety, and as an experiment. Something like three inches.
    - A fistful of silk knots in various colours

No alterations needed on anything, except hemming the suit trousers. The trouble is, I still need some more shoes.

Total cost: £270, approx. $550.[​IMG]

I'm a huge "turn-ups" fan but 3 inches is borderline clownish and almost definitely feminine. I wear 2 inch cuffs and I couldn't see any human being getting away with anything above 2 1/4-2 1/2, unless you're 6'10"-7 ft tall.

12. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

I'm a huge "turn-ups" fan but 3 inches is borderline clownish and almost definitely feminine. I wear 2 inch cuffs and I couldn't see any human being getting away with anything above 2 1/4-2 1/2, unless you're 6'10"-7 ft tall.
    Mmmm...you may be right. OK, 2 1/2 inches then, I suppose. Lately, I think I've seen very tall turn-ups on some more fashion-forward clothes, though.

13. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Recent tie acquisitions:

[​IMG]

The Glen plaid Polo is from the outlet, and a rare 'real money' ($20) tie purchase for me, but it fills a particular need/want.

The remaining ties are thrift purchases. From left, Polo (outlet), Polo wool, Brooks Brothers linen and no name Made in Italy silk knit. I've probably got $5 total in the three thrift ties.

14. mbell

mbell Senior member

I haven't posted here in several months, so quite a bit to catch up on.

I've rarely had much luck finding shoes while thrifting, but have had some really great finds lately. One Goodwill had a bunch of quality shoes in my size, but most were not to my taste. I did buy a pair of Neiman-Marcus taupe suede monks with a basketweave cap toe. I'm not real sure how NM house brand shoes rate, but they seemed nice enough, unusual and in excellent condition. $13

I found some black Brooks Brothers shoes for about $10. Most of the markings on them were very worn, so I am not sure on the details. They were in excellent condition on the outside. I found some medium brown RL Polo shoes with details hand written on the inside. They were marked at $20. When I went to the counter I said to the lady "Doesn't $20 seem awfully high for a pair of used shoes?" She answered "Yes it does, especially since they have no laces." I got them for $9.99. [​IMG]

I found a couple pairs of J&M shoes that seem a little nicer than usual for them. One is a wingtip tassel loafer from the Aristocrat line. $12. The other is more casual, Italian made with really soft leather. Maybe cordovan? $8

I went through a long run of finding several very nice orphaned suit jackets, which was very frustrating. Then one day I find a beautiful dark grey pin stripe Oxxford Onwentsia suit jacket looking sad and alone without the trousers. I keep working my way down the line and there are the pants draped over the rack. The jacket is a near perfect fit. The pants were high and just a bit wide in the waist and low in the crotch, but my tailor fixed them up pretty well. $25 for the suit and about $30 in tailoring.

On another day I found an orphaned Southwick jacket. This time I had to hunt through the pants section of the store, but I lucked out and found the pants. The suit is navy with very subtle pin stripes, and an even more subtle underlying pattern that you can't really see from more than a few feet away. Very nice look and it fits just about like it was made for me. It is very light weight, which is good for the Texas climate. $15. I wore it to the Symphony with a light blue Burberry's French cuff shirt ($5) and Robert Tallbott tie ($1.50) and received many compliments.

Some other finds include charcoal Zegna pants for $8 and a "J." cashmere sweater for $4. It was Chinese but much nicer than most other Chinese cashmere I have seen.

At Marshall's I got a pair of dark indigo Banana Republic jeans for $5. At TJ Maxx I got a set of RL Polo "Luxury" PJs for $15. The original price was $225. Not sure what makes cotton PJs worth that much, but they are pretty nice.

If I can get my act together I will try to post some pictures.

mike

15. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

The Glen plaid Polo is from the outlet, and a rare 'real money' ($20) tie purchase for me, but it fills a particular need/want.

I've been looking at that same tie at my outlet, but so far the price hasn't dropped to less than $30. I might go $20, but $30 at an outlet might as well be a million.

Of your other finds, I particularly like the knit and the wool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.