• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hypothetical Situation: All Sugar Diet with caloric deficit. What happens?

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sneakyfast
Just remember that calories don't make you feel full but nutrients do. A meal high in good nutrients makes you feel fuller than the same volume of say pizza. That is why when you eat poorly you tend to eat more and thus take in higher calorie content.

It was a pound of lamb, a couple tortillas, greek yoghurt, jalepenos and tomatoes, not exactly bad food, just what I eat before I go to the gym. Im not gonna get strong eating like MGM.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
It was a pound of lamb, a couple tortillas, greek yoghurt, jalepenos and tomatoes, not exactly bad food, just what I eat before I go to the gym. Im not gonna get strong eating like MGM.

How much do you eat each day?

sneakyfast

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji

that doesn't sound bad at all....throw in some veggies and you're set.....just make sure that the lamb is free range and that the yogurt is full fat organic.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is mm catnip. Way to invite this dude to blather his pseudoscientific bullshit all over this forum once again.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot, i don't log calories anymore, but when I did it was around 5000 a day, no sweets or bad food, probably a lot of carbs, but still more protein then carbs so the ratios were good. Its got a lot of vegetables in it. Im cooking another batch of it now, its about a pound of lamb, 5 beef tomatoes, 2 jalapeno peppers and a onion in it. I use a lot of dill and red peppers too. I changed to full fat organic today and I hate it, its so thick and dense and it doesnt spread.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltricks
My personal experience with this when I did low carb, "at will" diet (Atkins): Lost a **** ton of weight (about 20 percent of my body weight: 40 pounds) within 3 months. I probably had a caloric deficit anyway, just because I really couldn't eat a lot of the things I like. Lean muscle mass, however, was also lost. I had wrestled a lot in high school and had a good amount of LBM, but after the diet my wrists were rail thin, and I looked a little soft.

It's hard to make your wrists change a huge amount.

A low carb diet will cause your body to drop water and glycogen weight.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/casi3.htm

Carb depletion isn't real weight loss. Remember pudgy eskimos eat low carb.

Also since you haven't established a base line diet to begin with the changes of the test diets are going to vary.

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgm9128
OK. I'll do the numbers.
I have gained a substantial amount of muscle mass without ever once stepping foot into a gym, and have not gained any fat, even though I eat considerable amounts, some days probably exceeding 3,000 calories, though I don't care to count.

How much muscle mass have you gained and how did you verify it (e.g., getting a DEXA scans or similar mearument) ?

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cretaceous_cretin
How much muscle mass have you gained and how did you verify it (e.g., getting a DEXA scans or similar mearument) ?

Can't say for sure; I never measured. Mainly, I verified it by looking in the mirror.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mgm you're 20 right?? You do realize there's still a possibility for growth of additional muscle mass as part of the 'filling out' growth from adolescence phase to adult. [I know you're an adult currently, but this a span of time I'm referencing]. Did you ever think that your diet with higher protein content and fat simply allowed for this gain of mass. I doubt what you're experiencing now withe diet change and added muscle mass would be true at 20 for say a 40, 60, or 80 year old person? You're current diet change is probably better enabling yourself to add muscle since you're young.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, added fat when going from very low BF % to relatively low BF% tends to visually enhance the current muscle mass the person has on themselves, as far as looking bigger in the mirror.

Ask any competitive bodybuilder about this and they'll most likely agree.

Reaction score
The Atkins low-carbohydrate diet is extremely unhealthy. His autopsy showed heart disease and the effects of hypertension. In other words, it'll kill you.

Also, it is almost impossible for anyone eating anything close to a normal diet not to get enough protein.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
Did you ever think that your diet with higher protein content and fat simply allowed for this gain of mass.
Yes. That is exactly what I thought. I also think it's what helped me shed the extra 20, or so, pounds of fat I was once carrying around in my abdomen and thighs.
I doubt what you're experiencing now withe diet change and added muscle mass would be true at 20 for say a 40, 60, or 80 year old person?
I'm not so sure of that. I think it's a common misconception that simply age, alone, is the cause of a reduction in metabolic rate and decreased ability to build muscle mass, and that it is simply an inevitable aspect of getting old. I personally think anyone can reap the same benefits and results of the diet, at any age, barring some preexisting, extreme metabolic disorder. Though, I do also believe this diet can help reverse and ameliorate a substantial degree of the damage done by most chronic diseases.
You're current diet change is probably better enabling yourself to add muscle since you're young.
I do think it's enabling me to add muscle, while simultaneously losing fat. But I don't think that has anything to do with my age. Perhaps my youth affects the rate at which I've progressed, but I don't think it has anything to do with the ultimate effect of the low carbohydrate diet.
Originally Posted by 89826
The Atkins low-carbohydrate diet is extremely unhealthy. His autopsy showed heart disease and the effects of hypertension. In other words, it'll kill you.
I suppose I'm doomed, then.

Reaction score
To the OP with the simple question, the answer is you lose weight if you stick to that diet and deficit. And you probably feel like crap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads