• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hypothetical Situation: All Sugar Diet with caloric deficit. What happens?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltricks
I made this post to allow people to discuss the specifics of the calorie in/calorie out equation and in order to show the uninformed that just "losing weight" is not enough to be "healthy".

you should just recommend books then... like the ubiquitous 4 hour body (weight loss chapters) and/or any of atkins' books.

there's interesting theory's about body temperature and even calorie restriction diets (that are still balanced with plenty of proteins) that claim to slow the onset of aging and cancers through decreased telomere agitation.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My personal experience with this when I did low carb, "at will" diet (Atkins): Lost a **** ton of weight (about 20 percent of my body weight: 40 pounds) within 3 months. I probably had a caloric deficit anyway, just because I really couldn't eat a lot of the things I like. Lean muscle mass, however, was also lost. I had wrestled a lot in high school and had a good amount of LBM, but after the diet my wrists were rail thin, and I looked a little soft.

What were you eating, exactly?

I don't quite understand when people complain about the monotony of a low carbohydrate diet. I eat quite well, never feel deprived, and yet I probably never exceed 50g of carbohydrates in a given day.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My personal experience with this when I did low carb, "at will" diet (Atkins): Lost a **** ton of weight (about 20 percent of my body weight: 40 pounds) within 3 months. I probably had a caloric deficit anyway, just because I really couldn't eat a lot of the things I like. Lean muscle mass, however, was also lost. I had wrestled a lot in high school and had a good amount of LBM, but after the diet my wrists were rail thin, and I looked a little soft.
yeah that is the part that turns a ton of people off of atkins... plus well its really ******* hard to survive two full weeks of basically no carbs... there's a mental toll on people that make them batshit crazy not being able to eat an apple or a cup of rice a slice of bread ect...

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgm9128
What were you eating, exactly?

I don't quite understand when people complain about the monotony of a low carbohydrate diet. I eat quite well, never feel deprived, and yet I probably never exceed 50g of carbohydrates in a given day.

Seeing the food you post in the what did you have for dinner thread you definitely are. 50g of carbohydrate is ridiculously low.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eating habits are formed in college when kids have to start living by themselves and (most)college kids don't want to spend a lot on food. Not eating carbs is expensive

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
Seeing the food you post in the what did you have for dinner thread you definitely are. 50g of carbohydrate is ridiculously low.

The food I post, in terms of macronutrient ratios, is all relatively high in fat and protein, and minimal in carbohydrate. Except for the occasional potato, I don't see how I top 50 net grams of carbohydrate a day.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Usually the ones I see have a tiny piece of meat and tonnes of ornately arranged vegetables, all looks pretty heavy in carbs to me.

HenryFlower

Reaction score
The OP's question is pretty silly, but the TEF of the second diet is higher than the first diet, so the second dieter will lose weight faster and lose muscle slower (because of the decreased need to raid muscle to deal with amino acid needs).

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK. I'll do the numbers. Here is a typical day in the life of my diet: Breakfast:
uaTMTl.jpg
3 eggs: 210 calories, carbohydrate: <3g 3-4 slices bacon: 300 calories, carbohydrate: 0g 2 tbs. crème fraÃ
00ae.png
che: 100 calories, carbohydrate: 1g 1 tbs. Chives: <1 calorie, carbohydrate: <.1g Cooked in 1 tbs. butter: 100 calories, carbohydrate: 0g Total calories: 711 Net carb: <3g Lunch (which I only have occasionally):
gqsexl.jpg
3 cups of various lettuce: 30 calories, carbohydrate: 5g, fiber: 1g, net: 4g Smoked duck breast: 380 calories, carbohydrate: 0g Vinaigrette (olive oil, sherry vinegar, mustard): 240 calories, carbohydrate: 2g, if using shallot. Total calories: 650 Net carb: 6g Dinner:
jxz4dl.jpg
Some sort of ***** protein (here is lamb): 600-700 calories, carbohydrate: 0g Spinach, kale, or chard (cooked in butter or olive oil): 175 calories, carbohydrate: 7g, fiber: 4g, net: 3g Mushrooms (cooked in duck fat): 160 calories, carbohydrate 8g, fiber, 2g, net: 6g Total calories: 935-1035 Net carb: 9g Average daily total: 2,296-2,396 calories, carbohydrate: 18 grams, net. Some days I might eat more vegetables, either cauliflower, squash, or asparagus. And I'll eat berries, here and there. But even then, I wouldn't think that would be driving me much past 50g a day. Certainly, I never exceed 100g. I've been eating this way for almost a year now, and I've never once felt deprived or bored, nor do I ever crave sweets. I have gained a substantial amount of muscle mass without ever once stepping foot into a gym, and have not gained any fat, even though I eat considerable amounts, some days probably exceeding 3,000 calories, though I don't care to count. There is no "brain fog". Quite the contrary, actually. Mental acuity and performance, I find, is enhanced greatly when eating a diet low in carbohydrate.

Saltricks

Reaction score
mgm, your pictures are inspiring in what can be done on a low carbohydrate diet. I wish I had learned how to cook in college instead of play World of Warcraft. Haha. The problem I had with atkins is that as I introduced potato and rice in small quantities into my diet (I loveeee potatoes and rice) it kind of snowballed into regression into my old eating habits.

I'd be interested in any tips you have for preparation of foods (like those eggs! They look delicious) to take out the "monotony" of my lower carb diet. At the moment I am keeping under 100g of carbs daily and I feel a little deprived.

roryben

Reaction score
To reinforce other answers to the original question (assuming a sugar diet):

• Both would lose weight - Person A a little more and a little quicker because of muscle loss
  • Person A would have bad skin and hair, and a weaker immune system etc

There's a TV programme in the UK called Supersize vs Superskinny... the super-skinny people often have monoculture diets.

I saw one the other week where a girl ate nothing but crisps.
Nothing. but. Crisps.

monster-munch-296452536.jpg

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I never really added up the macros, just assumed it was pretty high carb. I don't know how you can eat that little, I just had breakfast and that was probably more calories then everything you posted.

sneakyfast

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
Sorry, I never really added up the macros, just assumed it was pretty high carb. I don't know how you can eat that little, I just had breakfast and that was probably more calories then everything you posted.

Just remember that calories don't make you feel full but nutrients do. A meal high in good nutrients makes you feel fuller than the same volume of say pizza. That is why when you eat poorly you tend to eat more and thus take in higher calorie content.

Sunnydale

Reaction score
Study wise, Swedish physician Andreas Eenfeldt who teaches his patients to eat low carb, had what I thought was a nice post the other day. "Weight loss and LC: Time to stop denying the science" http://www.dietdoctor.com/weight-los...ng-the-science
I’m having a debate in a Norwegian paper with some official “nutrition experts”. They claimed that weight loss studies do not show any advantage for low carb diets. Unbelievably enough, that is what many so called experts still believe. It’s either ignorance or science denial. There are at least thirteen modern high quality trials that have shown significantly better weight loss with low carb diets. Here they are: Randomized controlled trials showing significantly more weight loss with low carb diets

sneakyfast

Reaction score
Eat the stuff that was put here for us to eat in a sensible mix. That is meats from animals that are free range fed (as opposed to grain), organically grown fruits and vegatables and nuts/seeds.

Don't count calories but count chemicals...if it comes in a box or claims that it is low fat stay away from it. If it is processed stay away from it.

All of these weight loss and diet studies do in fact show what you should eat to lose weight but why would you want to be skinny only to have diabetes, cancer or heart failure.

If it's natural eat it...if its not then don't. your diet should be somewhat similar to what MGM1928 posted earlier.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics