• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBurnOut

Reaction score
Had a decent-ish weekend.

- 10 EEE Florsheim Royal Imperial SHELL Longwings
- Aquascutum Cashmere Herringbone SC in my size
- Canali Slacks in my size
- NWT Polo shirt for 50 cents
- NWT Talbott pocket square

bimmy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stewie
Just about any early "modern" jazz from the 50s-60s has value..some more than others. Early Blue Note's are considered some of the best recordings out there ever. But...original pressings are what the collectors want. Quite the find the Nichols record is as one of the harder to find Blue Notes out there.

D.

are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? or neither?

you cant see the label clearly, but it looks to be lexington ave and i dont think this album was ever repressed (outside of japan). it looks original to me. besides, theres no point in talking about labelography to someone not interested in records (spoo)

Lin

Reaction score
Have been lurking and really enjoying/ learning from members' posts--so much vicarious pleasure from your finds! I have a question about 3 ties I have that I THINK are genuine Hermes, but would appreciate input. The keeper on each is a sort of grosgrain ribbon (2 are black, one is navy) with a white "H" in the middle. The very little bit of info I've been able to find on these keepers seems to indicate these are older ties and that the keepers with the horse/carriage logo came later. All other aspects of the ties look authentic, including the hidden thread loop, the grain of the silk & lining, and the number, etc woven into the silk on the back. I'm having camera trouble so no pics, but all I really want to know is about the plain white "H" ribbon keepers. Many thanks!

Xenos

Reaction score
Lin, take a look at this page that discusses fake Hermes. I have found it very helpful.

If the ties you found are authentic, congrats!

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a hoard of Oxxfords today. I picked up three out of the five. I haven't done precise measurements yet, but they look to be in the 38-39 S range. The top one is a black/grey herringbone, the bottom one is 100% silk and the navy blazer in the middle is 100% cashmere. I left behind a cranberry red hopsack that was about the same size as the rest and a powder blue hopsack that was VERY short. The trousers are new with tags Incotex flat front.

oxxinc.jpg

oxxinc1.jpg

And a couple women's things that were just too good to pass up. They'll probably go to eBay.
A Luciano Barbera angora and cashmere jacket with suede collar and Chanel and Gucci silk scarves.
barbscarf.jpg

barbscarf1.jpg

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whoah, very nice! I never find anything with sleeves remotely short enough...and women generally know what they're doing. Hard to believe you scooped all that up in...one place?

(Going back a few pages, that Matador Records compilation remains my favorite disc set. I woulda snagged it up just because...)

Minarchist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
Found a hoard of Oxxfords today. I picked up three out of the five. I haven't done precise measurements yet, but they look to be in the 38-39 S range. The top one is a black/grey herringbone, the bottom one is 100% silk and the navy blazer in the middle is 100% cashmere.
oxxinc.jpg

So....lookin' to sell any of those fine jackets?
smile.gif

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
Whoah, very nice! I never find anything with sleeves remotely short enough...and women generally know what they're doing. Hard to believe you scooped all that up in...one place?

(Going back a few pages, that Matador Records compilation remains my favorite disc set. I woulda snagged it up just because...)

Actually the women's items were from an estate sale. The Oxxfords all came from one thrift and the Incotex trousers from another. Vacation started today, so I did a bit of traveling.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bimmy
are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? or neither?

you cant see the label clearly, but it looks to be lexington ave and i dont think this album was ever repressed (outside of japan). it looks original to me. besides, theres no point in talking about labelography to someone not interested in records (spoo)

Its the original 10" and I think you guys are right about its value. Looking it up on popsike shows it fetched around $600 4-5 years ago but with the repressing its mellowed. When I found that I also found a cover to an Introducing Joe Gordon on Emarcy 10" but no record. I've been on top of that Goodwill since finding it but I bet you guys are right it probably just came from a collection of bunk with 1 or 2 good records.

odiv

Reaction score
... wrong thread!

edit: So to actually contribute to the correct thread:

I went to the Salvation Army today and picked up three pairs of pants. One off white which is maybe a touch big in the legs, one light beige from the Gap, and one dark brown wool dress pants with pleats. Nothing special, but I need more pants. Found a few SCs in 38-42 range which were meh, so I left them. The best was a 42R Moore's navy wool blazer, unvented.

Georgia

Reaction score
I've been in the market for some crocodile loafers for years, and *think* I hit the jackpot today. I came across these Magnannis at a local Goodwill for $6:

magnannicrocodileloafer.jpg

I started a thread on these about getting them repaired... Any help is appreciated!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow - lots of Oxxford being found lately!
Originally Posted by ilikethelights
Here's the Oxxford Sportcoat I did pick up from that lot: functional cuff buttons
5874970771_69364d07a5_z.jpg

That's a cool jacket! I found a cashmere Oxxford last week that had those same buttons. Antler, perhaps?
Originally Posted by hmmurdock
Dying to see pics!
Here ya go. It's up on Fleabay now if you're interested. Single vented. Trousers have a high split curtained waistband and have the grosgrain stripe down the side.
DSC08334.jpg
DSC08336.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads