The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

Nice shoes! I would like to find a pair in my size that are thrift store cheap.

2. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

Found a pair of Barrie Ltd Booters loafers, Church's loafers and Carroll & Co black patent leather balmorals all sz 11C. They are in my store. Pictured are a Trafalgar embossed belt, Martin Dingman braces, and 2 PS that I can't find a maker. Also a John Paul Hunting of London tie (but it's made in Spain) Believe it or not, there is nothing on google, at least in the first few pages.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

Oops, here is the rest of that PS.
    [​IMG]

4. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

always a good idea to check out the women's, i found a Hermes scarf once that i sold for $95 on the bay, i got it for $4.95!!

5. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Recently scored a beautiful Filson wool Mackinaw cruiser in forest green. It's a size 42 but I need a 40! Anyone with a filson Mackinaw in size 40 need to trade up, let me know.

6. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

File today under "You Win Some, You Lose Some".
    The wins: a nice Nordstrom tweed SC, BB Makers paisley tie,
    These shoes: [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    "Made in England for Nordstrom." Anyone have an idea who might have made these? They seem pretty nice. Size 12B, so they're not for me!

And the biggest winner:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Euro size 54 drop 7 - a bit big for me, so it'll go on B&S or ebay. The jacket was hanging without the pants, so I dug around and found them, and even though I had to pay separately, it was cheaper than the HSM suits that they were selling! Thanks for the tip, SF! [​IMG]

Then, the tragic loss. There it was, all by itself, without a mate. I tore up the store looking for it, through ladies shoes, under nearby shelves, asking around, until the screaming kids finally drove me out: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Finally, I really wanted to buy this funky bespoke suit, but it would have needed much tailoring, and I couldn't justify the $30:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Is Bailey & Weatherill a respectable tailor?
    Sorry if these pics are huge. I resized them on photobucket, but the SF preview is showing them original size.

7. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

File today under "You Win Some, You Lose Some".
    The wins: a nice Nordstrom tweed SC, BB Makers paisley tie,
    These shoes: [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    "Made in England for Nordstrom." Anyone have an idea who might have made these? They seem pretty nice. Size 12B, so they're not for me!

And the biggest winner:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Euro size 54 drop 7 - a bit big for me, so it'll go on B&S or ebay. The jacket was hanging without the pants, so I dug around and found them, and even though I had to pay separately, it was cheaper than the HSM suits that they were selling! Thanks for the tip, SF! [​IMG]

Then, the tragic loss. There it was, all by itself, without a mate. I tore up the store looking for it, through ladies shoes, under nearby shelves, asking around, until the screaming kids finally drove me out: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Finally, I really wanted to buy this funky bespoke suit, but it would have needed much tailoring, and I couldn't justify the $30:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Is Bailey & Weatherill a respectable tailor?
    Sorry if these pics are huge. I resized them on photobucket, but the SF preview is showing them original size.

Some jerk has probably hidden the other one waiting for a sale. Go back and hide the one that is still there to teach him a lesson.

8. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^^ [​IMG] I really need to start looking through the books.....

10. Lin

Lin Member

Lin, take a look at this page that discusses fake Hermes. I have found it very helpful.

If the ties you found are authentic, congrats!

Thanks for link. No mention of the "H" tags, but otherwise interesting info on Hermes.

11. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

I think I win for the day! Today I found a Great Gatsby 1st Ed. 1925. Basically this one but in better condition: http://cgi.ebay.com/Great-Gatsby-F-S...item4aaae284e6 Total Cost $1.08 with tax! [​IMG]
    Niiiice! Around here pretty much all the shops take any books that look old, put them up front and ask something insane for 'em. I asked a manager I know pretty well about it once, and he said that apparently in my area there's a lot of decorators, artists or pretentious people that buy them just for looks, so they slap a crazy price tag on even if they're essentially worthless. This is one thing that all the chains and most of the individual stores around here share, regardless of what they price the clothes at. [​IMG] BTW the Hermes ties: check this link out, which I've found helpful and shows the H-logo ties (hint: they're pretty old): http://www.ggyy5978.com/real.php

12. ruben

ruben Senior member

I think I win for the day! Today I found a Great Gatsby 1st Ed. 1925. Basically this one but in better condition:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Great-Gatsby-F-S...item4aaae284e6

Total Cost $1.08 with tax! [​IMG]

Nice!

Regular or book club edition?

13. mainy

mainy Senior member

Found some super recent Isaia Napoli flat front pants today. Only second Isaia thing I've ever found, the other was an Aquaspider jacket that was f'd up. Found some Brioni stuff too. Good day

14. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Nice!

Regular or book club edition?

I could take pics but its basically the same book in the link. I am really debating on if I should keep it to give to the Grand children in the future

[​IMG]

15. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Some jerk has probably hidden the other one waiting for a sale. Go back and hide the one that is still there to teach him a lesson.

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.