Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I think I win for the day! Today I found a Great Gatsby 1st Ed. 1925. Basically this one but in better condition:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Great-Gatsby-F-S...item4aaae284e6

Total Cost $1.08 with tax! [​IMG]

GTF right out of town! Do you know how much that's worth? Or how cool it is?!

Aaaaaaaaaaagh! Pics, please. And can I borrow it?

2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Posting again to note jaw still utterly glued to floor....

And I thought my $300 William Burroughs book was a major find!

3. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I think I win for the day! Today I found a Great Gatsby 1st Ed. 1925. Basically this one but in better condition:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Great-Gatsby-F-S...item4aaae284e6

Total Cost $1.08 with tax! [​IMG]

Posting again to note jaw still utterly glued to floor....

And I thought my $300 William Burroughs book was a major find!

Allow me...

[​IMG]

4. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Senior member

These shoes: [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    "Made in England for Nordstrom." Anyone have an idea who might have made these? They seem pretty nice. Size 12B, so they're not for me!

They're Edward Green's; note the distinctive nail pattern in groups of three. Nordstrom's--briefly--had a deal with them in the '80s. I've found two pairs of similar shoes myself, both 12's! Each pair went for about $160 on eBay.

5. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

GTF right out of town! Do you know how much that's worth? Or how cool it is?!

Aaaaaaaaaaagh! Pics, please. And can I borrow it?

And I thought I did good when I thrifted a copy of "Official Preppy Handbook" and sold it for $30 on eBay! I know nothing of rare books, how much is a 1st edition "Great Gatsby" worth??

6. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

A few thousand, at least. Or technically a few thousand, the last I checked. I'm sure people have slowed down on the rare books, just like everything else.

I would love to read an OG copy, though, just because...

Can I say again: wow!

[​IMG]

7. LukeM

LukeM Senior member

Does it still have the dust jacket?

8. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

Jesus Christ on the Gatsby 1st ed. Absolutely absurd that someone would let that slip into the donation pile. Picked this up today. Looks to have been worn maybe once. Still had the creases from folding. [​IMG]

9. seanmj

seanmj Well-Known Member

About the Gatsby: It's definitely not a book club or repro edition? I once found a For Whom the Bell Tolls "first edition" that was a repro, though it didn't say anywhere on it that it was a repro. It was an exact replica.

If authentic, that's pretty astonishing.

10. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Does it still have the dust jacket?

Na I wish, apparently if it has a jacket then its worth like 100X More [​IMG]

About the Gatsy: It's definitely not a book club or repro edition? I once found a For Whom the Bell Tolls "first edition" that was a repro, though it didn't say anywhere on it that it was a repro. It was an exact replica.

If authentic, that's pretty astonishing.

After doing some, needless to say, unique research I am pretty sure its real. This website confirms it:

http://modernfirsteditions.net/the-g...tt-fitzgerald/

-

11. svd

svd Senior member

Na I wish, apparently if it has a jacket then its worth like 100X More [​IMG]

After doing some, needless to say, unique research I am pretty sure its real. This website confirms it:

http://modernfirsteditions.net/the-g...tt-fitzgerald/

-

Hell of a find. I never bother with books. Shops near me are too savvy to put them out or picked over by regulars.

15 years ago I lived in Florida and used to find some very nice 1st editions.

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    books are tough. things like gatsby firsts are pretty easy to figure out. but a lot of times, it's the most obscure books that have the highest value. or things you'd never think of. i pay attention to books and had a great book that i recycled: years ago i'd done a profile of a pretty obscure author named michael ondaatje and we hit it off. he sent me a copy of a book he'd written called "coming through slaughter" that he'd signed. I stuck it in my bookshelf after reading it and didn't give it another thought. years later, of course, he did the english patient and then there was a movie based on it. i was clearing out shelves and didn't even think about it until i went back to my used bookstore a couple weeks later and saw it there in a display case for a couple hundred dollars.

13. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

They're Edward Green's; note the distinctive nail pattern in groups of three. Nordstrom's--briefly--had a deal with them in the '80s. I've found two pairs of similar shoes myself, both 12's! Each pair went for about $160 on eBay.

Fantastic! I had a feeling it was something like that, and was hoping someone could read the nail pattern. Thanks!

14. JMayle

JMayle Well-Known Member

E Park Avenue in 11 C [​IMG] [​IMG] Corneliani Linen in XXL (can take measurements if anyone's interested, too big for me) [​IMG] Barbera Club - size 40/15.75" [​IMG] and this awesome print [​IMG]

15. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.