The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

it's funny how at the goodwill by me the nautica, perry ellis, tommy, etc. is marked up but bb shirts and nice Italian, USA, and English made suits/jackets are "base" price ($5). [​IMG]

just wait till they learn, the you'll be in trouble. buy it all while you can

2. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Quick look in on a Red Cross store after seeing a movie, 5 minutes before they closed. Found a Zegna double-breasted suit in my size, but I thought the pants would be too small. No time to try them on and see (they were pointedly vacuuming the place) so I left it there.

Otherwise, just zero luck, for weeks.

3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stones in the road? I save every single one; one day I will build a castle...
    "” Fernando Pessoa

[​IMG]

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    good ebay score yesterday. got a faconnable windbreaker/light rain coat ... sueded cotton feel, like brand new and a perfect fit for $25 shipped. (pic from ebay)
    [​IMG]

5. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice scores, especially the Brioni and Lochcarron!

Hit the GW that ilikethelights went to yesterday and saw the Oxxfords. Found the 8 or so he left behind. All were a bit too long for me, but I couldn't pass up an Oxxford tux for $14. Really cool. 1 btn front.

6. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Senior member

[​IMG]
    Picked this up recently. Very clean. Im worried its just a left over and someone got an entire box of Blue Note [​IMG] .

7. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

I found a pair of Church's loafers. They are marked a 10 D, is this equivalent to ll D or C? They are in my store under sz 11.

8. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

9. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

10. Tape

Tape Member

Found two Purple label shirts today, left them behind since they didn't fit and had some small stain on the back of the neck.

11. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Nice scores, especially the Brioni and Lochcarron!

Hit the GW that ilikethelights went to yesterday and saw the Oxxfords. Found the 8 or so he left behind. All were a bit too long for me, but I couldn't pass up an Oxxford tux for $14. Really cool. 1 btn front.

Glad you got something out of it at least. I should post pictures of what I did pick up, it was all pretty nice stuff just way too big and long.

Today I was at a thrift store that prices insane for a thrift store yet I still stop in sometimes. $200 for a weird green Zegna suit in a bigger size and then the worst of it: a pretty common 70s Pioneer stereo receiver with a cheap looking turntable and a decent looking reel to reel (probably the only part worth something) for ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS.

12. bimmy

bimmy Member

[​IMG]
    Picked this up recently. Very clean. Im worried its just a left over and someone got an entire box of Blue Note [​IMG] .

holy crap, now that's a score!

I highly doubt there was anything else besides the nichols though. i mean, who would leave THAT but pick up other stuff? i've occasionally found 1 amazing lp among a bunch of crap at garage sales...it just happens.

13. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

i just picked up 2 jackets and 2 shirts total $20. had to pass on 2 bb shirts and a nice black hugo boss suit in the wrong size. [​IMG] one jacket i got is "parallex" - france. The fit is right on, was in perfect condition, and the $5 price was too. i never heard of the brand being a noob (i guess google hasn't either). you guys ever heard of it?

14. ironduke

ironduke Senior member

Found charcoal GAP cotton jacket on 27$. Wonder its a fine deal since never wore GAP.

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

[​IMG]

Awesome! I'll second bimmy in that I doubt it's a leftover. Anyone else who'd grab up Blue note and valuable jazz wouldn't have left that gem behind. Nice score!

I found this painting at a flea market today. It is now on the wall in my office above my stereo.

[​IMG]

Love it! [​IMG]

Glad you got something out of it at least. I should post pictures of what I did pick up, it was all pretty nice stuff just way too big and long.

Today I was at a thrift store that prices insane for a thrift store yet I still stop in sometimes. $200 for a weird green Zegna suit in a bigger size and then the worst of it: a pretty common 70s Pioneer stereo receiver with a cheap looking turntable and a decent looking reel to reel (probably the only part worth something) for ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS.

Yup, thanks for the tip! That's insane on the stereo! Was the reel to reel a Pioneer? If it was and it was an RT-909 (the big one), that itself is worth about $600-$700. Still, that's an eBay price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.