• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London or Paris?

makker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joe Camel
What a ridiculous comment.

Besides the exception of Edinburgh, could you give me some insight on some nice places to live? Or how does living in Hull, Greater Manchester, Liverpool or Swansea sound?

howbah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makker
Besides the exception of Edinburgh, could you give me some insight on some nice places to live? Or how does living in Hull, Greater Manchester, Liverpool or Swansea sound?

Tonbridge Wells, Inkpen, Walsham-le-Willows, Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, the Eden valley, Aldeburgh, Southwold, Finchingfield, Aylsham, Diss, Wells-next-the-Sea, Ludlow, Market Drayton, Rye, Arundel, Worcester, Chester ......

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
obviously the french country side is more accesible from Paris but its easily acsesible via train from Kings Cross for weekend trips

this may sound like a weird justiciation but id chose london over paris for the english country side. the french regions warrant a visit on their own right, but its unlikely youd ever travel to places like Cornwell, Lakes districtm Scottish highlands etc from Paris - and missing out on those would be a real shame.

id love to live in both cities but i prefer London - for some reason its culture seems more contemporary and dynamic. People from the British Isles have (in my opinion) the best sense of humour in the world (non-anglophile), great sports (rugby, football, cricket), better museums ...

ugh must escape the antipodes

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
who cares about second rate cities in the UK? france has its share it second rate cities also.

i suppose the only difference is in second rate french cities your still likely to get served a good meal, in second rate UK cities you will probably get chips and gravy.

makker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by howbah
Tonbridge Wells, Inkpen, Walsham-le-Willows, Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, the Eden valley, Aldeburgh, Southwold, Finchingfield, Aylsham, Diss, Wells-next-the-Sea, Ludlow, Market Drayton, Rye, Arundel, Worcester, Chester ......

I guess they are nice and cosy, but employment-wise might be a bit difficult. I know that there are beautiful towns in the countryside, but I was more focused on the other cities and bigger towns. Plus, excuse my ignorance but if I had to live somewhere in the north I couldn't understand what the locals would be saying..

I think French main cities on average are better for living compared to the ones in England for instance. I personally think cities such as Lyon, Toulouse, Strasbourg, Bordeaux, Montpellier definitely have way better quality of life than Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, etc. Same goes for the smaller towns.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think French main cities on average are better for living compared to the ones in England for instance. I personally think cities such as Lyon, Toulouse, Strasbourg, Bordeaux, Montpellier definitely have way better quality of life than Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, etc. Same goes for the smaller towns.

You may be right. I am not wild about a lot of towns in the north of enland although the countryside is nice, but Manchester and Leeds when I have visited them were actually quite fun, buzzing cultural and night life even if they were a little rough around the edges, and some of the small southern cities like Brighton and Bristol are nice as well.

howbah

Reaction score
I guess they are nice and cosy, but employment-wise might be a bit difficult. I know that there are beautiful towns in the countryside, but I was more focused on the other cities and bigger towns. Plus, excuse my ignorance but if I had to live somewhere in the north I couldn't understand what the locals would be saying..

The thing is, England is slightly smaller than Louisiana. It would be unrealistic to expect a multiplicity of amazing big cities. London is England's (and the U.K.'s) New York + Washington + Los Angeles.

That said, Bristol, Manchester, Wolverhampton, Leeds, Birmingham, all that lot, have plenty of impressive Victorian neighborhoods to live in (plus beautiful small towns & villages within an easy commute), and probably just as many job opportunities for non-EU citizens as French provincial cities do.

janjozeff

Reaction score
Paris is one location that will surely leave you gasping for more. Travel to Paris to see some of the most exotic locations never seen before. Trip to Paris will leave you hungry for more as you keep exploring its depth.

Vaio

Reaction score
The parisiens will treat you fine if you don't act as if you're entitled to better treatment just because you're a foreigner... speak french, smile, greet people, blah blah. Try not to stick out too much.

Never been to London so I can't comment.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
London is a much better city. Besides, when a man is tired of London...he can hop on the Eurostar for a break in Paris. Sure you could do it the other way as well, but the best part of about travelling TO Paris is that you can leave in the end.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paris, no doubt in my mind

makker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcellionheart
London is a much better city. Besides, when a man is tired of London...he can hop on the Eurostar for a break in Paris. Sure you could do it the other way as well, but the best part of about travelling TO Paris is that you can leave in the end.

I love both cities, so in your opinion why would someone want to leave Paris? Even though I am still contemplating, Paris in general has the better side for the French culture, weather and women. What does London compensate with?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads