1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

London or Paris?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by makker, Jun 23, 2011.

1. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I understand. I don't have significant experience with the worst banlieues around Paris, but I can't imagine they approach Athens in their shittiness. Considering the majority of Athens is a 20th century development, any inherent historical significance associated with Ancient Grreece is going be to largely absent from the day to day life of Athenians, whereas the historical significance of Paris and Rome is ubiquitous to one's interaction with the city. [​IMG]

2. jstupple19

jstupple19 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of when I last went to Rome. Still lots of historical old buildings and such, but outside the traditional center of the city it didn't feel very 'Roman', so to speak. The haziness of the city due to smog (and the summer heat) probably didn't help things. Unfortunately, things in Greece don't look to be getting any better in the near future, which is a tragedy really.

3. WorkingOnIt

WorkingOnIt Senior member

Unfortunately, things in Greece don't look to be getting any better in the near future, which is a tragedy really.

I see what you did there. [​IMG]

4. Achillus

Achillus Senior member

5. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Not keen on Paris but I hate London with a passion.

6. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

as an american, ive been to london more times than i could count and never found the appeal. even had the misfortune of living nearby (in east anglia) for a period of time and the subsequent visits to london never recolored that opinion.

the whole country, tbh, is not very inspiring, and im not saying that just because its july 4th...

7. makker

makker Senior member

Milan, Paris

Milan is way below par compared to London and Paris, FYI.

8. lenahan

lenahan Senior member

London: The Britons are lovely people, it is the Tailoring capital of the world, I speak the language. Further, as I speak only English and German, I doubt I will be welcomed with open arms by the Parisians.

9. Chris Waffles

Chris Waffles Senior member

London--both cities have virtually the same negative aspects, so you might as well experience them in your own language. :p

10. RSS

RSS Senior member

London--both cities have virtually the same negative aspects, so you might as well experience them in your own language. :p
    Don't you mean "I might as well experience them in my own language." Why are you speaking in the second person as if on behalf of someone else? Someone else may speak French ... or French and English.

11. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    Don't you mean "I might as well experience them in my own language." Why are you speaking in the second person as if on behalf of someone else? Someone else may speak French ... or French and English.
    I speak both and I prefer to listen to insults in French

12. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Love both.

Read Mr. Hero's posts. He's spot on.

That said, London has awesome footy and orchestras, but Parisian women are hotter, thinner, the food and wine's better, and the men know what footwear to pair with suits.

13. worldrunner

worldrunner Senior member

London in summer and Paris in winter.... The christmas markets last december were amazing in paris

14. Darkknightcol

Darkknightcol Member

15. Canvas08

Canvas08 Well-Known Member

I have never been to either but I think I would choose Paris because of its superior transportation (so I have heard, not experienced) and location to travel all over Europe while keeping the "home-base" if you will, in Paris.

16. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

Caveat - I'm not British, but have lived in London since 2006 and love it.

I wonder if those that chose Paris would actually like living there or are basing their choice on relatively short visits to the city?

Paris can be exciting and romantic , but London is immensely liveable. I've never spent significant time there, but I imagine that we get a much wider choice of food, entertainment, cultures, etc than is available in Paris.

K

17. Roygbivuxg

Roygbivuxg Senior member

^good point. I prefer paris but thats going off vacation experience only [​IMG]

18. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Paris is more of a tourist trap than London, and have been more so every single time I visit (3~4yr gap each time), though I am sure you will be able to avoid that if you live there. Also you speak French fluently, so probably gets a very different experience than I do. I do like Paris on each visit, but would not live there until I can at least speak French. I can certainly imagine study there, but probably not work there. London is multi-culture, probably the most multi culture city in Europe, but not in a multi-culture American way. America is still an immigrant country. Maybe it's because I have only been here for 1.5 years (11years in US), but the impression I got is people go to London to work for a few years then go back to whatever they're from. There seems to be a higher percentage of people who actually decides to stay in America for good. Also I am still somewhat disappointed by food offering in London, yes there are good ones, but you got to pay. There are a few reliable cheap local charm, but they're far and few. The ethnic food (for a lack of better word) in London is all over the shop, and some definitely changed quite a bit for local taste. The multi culture aspect doesn't really stand out as much as America (or maybe they're just better integrated here than America, racial tension is really an interesting case here, but that would be completely off topic). All in all, never lived in Paris, so can't say how it is to actually live there. You can have a lot of fun in London (clubbing/cultural/art/interesting experience) and Paris is always one train away. Personally if I was to just live somewhere in Europe for fun for a year I would definitely go to Southern Italy..., not very helpful conclusion I suppose[​IMG]

19. gaymafia

gaymafia Member