• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women in suits: a bad idea?

WorkingOnIt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by facet
Yeah, she's a real pig.
sarcasm.gif

I went to a BC Lions game once last year and saw TSN reporter, Sara Orlesky, standing on the sidelines. My camera is old; so it doesn't take very good photos; but it the photos give some idea of what she looked like. I don't recall her giving me a masculine vibe in her choice of attire.

5858876841_ac9c2b2623_z.jpg

5858876507_e850e32d07_z.jpg

laugh.gif

Clearly, pantsuits make reporters look masculine and unattractive.

Erinandrews-talking-good-jacket_435.jpg

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Just like men women have different body types. Didn't everybody learn this in their teens? Think of the three male body types Ectomorph Endo Meso Those translate fairly well to women . Most runway models since twiggy have been Ecto
twiggy%252Bpb1.jpg
Apple women are Endos. You can find your own pictures of Rosanne Barr. Then you have true hourglass girls
sophia_loren_wearing_her_hat_vkiM9Ax.jpg
If you ignore the breasts the only difference between an hourglass girl and a male meso is the hips. Draw the line from the outside of her shoulders down her waist . You've got a V. Not just because her outfit is pulling her waist in. The hourglass top is a V. What looks good on somebody like Twiggy is going to look all wrong on Loren. Loren doesn't need shoulder pads and extend shoulders to create her shape.

Too true. Cutting a jacket of an hourglass seems to be beyond the pale for OTR. At least I haven't seen any good recent examples. New Look (like the first picture I posted) is an attempt to make an twig into an hourglass. A broad shouldered, narrow wasted, woman with hips would look pretty extreme in such a rig.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
^^^ Ig'nance and the worst sort of juvenile faux liberalism. A skirt suit is the classic format of business suit for women. By the strictest business formal standards, a woman is supposed to wear a skirt suit, not a pant suit. In fact, if you've bothered to observe, women in positions of power commonly wear skirt suits. Hillary Clinton is ridiculed for her pant suits precisely because it is not the norm. Moreover, if you haven't noticed, men and women have different sorts of bodies. It's only to be expected that different sorts of clothing will best flatter those bodies. Anyway, I could make the equally stupid argument that you are a chauvinist for thinking that a woman must dress like a man to appear confident and sophisticated.
Lol, I'm sorry for butthurting you! I didn't take you for such a sensitive type. Anyway, I didn't say a woman should wear trousers out of liberalism or feminism, but because I don't think flaunting one's legs is appropriate or attractive when doing business or any serious work. It's my opinion that trouser suits are more impressive & look better on women than skirt suits. The fact that currently a skirt suit is the formal business dress standard for women is neither here nor there. The same applies to your Clinton anecdote. I don't see how you can think this point and related points add any sort of value to your argument. I didn't deny that women have different bodies to men, or that their suits should reflect that; in fact, I quite clearly said the suit should embrace the female [body & personality]. I don't see how a skirt reflects a ************ shape, which is what you've suggested. We can't have control over each other's opinions, but you presented yours rather arrogantly and that annoyed me (especially since your ideas are so restrictive and indeed boring, hence 'backwards').

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loathing
Lol, I'm sorry for butthurting you! I didn't take you for such a sensitive type. Anyway, I didn't say a woman should wear trousers out of liberalism or feminism, but because I don't think flaunting one's legs is appropriate or attractive when doing business or any serious work. It's my opinion that trouser suits are more impressive & look better on women than skirt suits. The fact that currently a skirt suit is the formal business dress standard for women is neither here nor there. The same applies to your Clinton anecdote. I don't see how you can think this point and related points add any sort of value to your argument. I didn't deny that women have different bodies to men, or that their suits should reflect that; in fact, I quite clearly said the suit should embrace the female [body & personality]. I don't see how a skirt reflects a ************ shape, which is what you've suggested. We can't have control over each other's opinions, but you presented yours rather arrogantly and that annoyed me (especially since your ideas are so restrictive and indeed boring, hence 'backwards').
Oh, no one is as sensitive as Foo. Don't sweat it. so what do you think. business appropriate?
yp58269969.jpg
mwink[1].gif
I actually had an account rep show up in one of these.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I see a few women in suits every day on whom I think "That was a good idea."

Xenon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
yp58269969.jpg
mwink[1].gif

I actually had an account rep show up in one of these.

My former female boss would sometimes show up in these
facepalm.gif
She got promoted suddenly but not because she knew what she was doing!

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenon
My former female boss would sometimes show up in these
facepalm.gif
She got promoted suddenly but not because she knew what she was doing!

Oh, I'll bet she knew exactly what she was doing.
wink.gif

Xenon

Reaction score
Oh, I'll bet she knew exactly what she was doing.
wink.gif

Yup, you're right! I just thought it would backfire. Guess I was totally wrong
plain.gif

Minarchist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr_Elusive
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Found a big girl in a suit. That chick from Madmen. She's a little on the big side.

Would damage effectively.

Yeah...
drool.gif

animatedgifofchristinahendricksbutt.gif

Minarchist

Reaction score
Not that I'm complaining, but that's a dress.

Yes, I'm aware of that.
wink.gif

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenon
Yup, you're right! I just thought it would backfire. Guess I was totally wrong
plain.gif

This discussion seems odd to me. Suppose that she wouldn't have been promoted without dressing in a way that was too sexy for the environment. Were that so, then it's the persons promoting her who improperly allowed that to sway their decision. Aren't they the ones to blame for her promotion? Who has the power?

Suppose I have a female boss. I know she will promote me if I dress in a way she finds highly sexually attractive, and which is too sexy to be appropriate for the environment. Suppose the rest of my performance doesn't warrant a promotion. But I do dress that way, and she then promotes me. Who is to blame?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe the OP's argument is only half right. Based on most people I have seen in suits, regardless of gender, 99% of them look ill fit in their suit. If the females in suits u have seen look ill fit, they're probably just meeting the social norm of such things
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads