• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
Flying coach from NYC to L.A. for a wedding later this summer.

What's the best way to pack a suit?
Or should I just wear it on the plane?

You basically turn the jacket inside out (except the sleeves) and fold it in quarters. There has to be a you tube video of someone doing this somewhere. Fold or roll the pants and pack it all in a suitcase. Once you take it out and hang it, any wrinkles should fall out. If not, have it pressed or use the hang in the bathroom while you shower trick. Wearing it on the plane will only make it more likely that you will spill something on it.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ewc
I've decided the MTM suit I had made up just looks awkward, so I'm planning changes.

Original is on the left. On the right, I've lowered the button stance, opened the quarters and softened the shoulder. Is that better? What else needs doing?

43jVq.png

Oh, and I also gave myself a cutaway collar, which I'm undecided about.

Good sketches!

It really depends on what the suit will be used for. The one on the left is more classic - Brooks Brothers, if you will. The right is more modern. I like both equally. I'd drop the gorge a teensy bit for the right picture though.

As for cutaway collar, it depends on your facial shape. If you have a long angular face (e.g. lyle lovett), then a cutaway collar is fantastic.

NYtoNC

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers vs. J.Press Blazer Today the BB store was having a 30% sale on all tailored stuff so I picked up a 1818 Madison http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize= Later on I was at the J.Press store and the blazers were on sale as well 25% and I really liked it a lot especially since my previous ones have been from BB so it was a nice change. http://jpressonline.com/blazers_navy...?id=J40192-3BN I ended up ordering both of them and I'll just have to return one of them. I am going to college next year and I'd love some input on which one is more traditional and classic. Thank you. Edit: While I'm asking a question, is it acceptable to replace the gold buttons with Ben Silver buttons of my high school? They would not be completely gold so I don't know if that'd take away from the traditional look.

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score
To wear a belt or not to wear a belt with a navy suit? Thinking of getting the belt loops removed from my trousers as they fit perfectly without a belt.

islay

Reaction score
Hello, I want to order the C&J Chelsea boot last 238. I have a Tetbury suede in UK6.5 that fits really well. I am usually UK7 but other members of the forum told me that the suede version of the Tetbury comes a little bigger than the other models in the 348 last. I tried the handgrade Audley in 337 last and UK7 was my size.

Now I am wondering about the chelsea , is this a narrow last? that´s esentialy what I need, but I dont know if I should go 7 or 6.5, how this last compares to the 337 amd 348?

Thanks a lot

Cheers!

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamma1234
Help pick my next shoe!

Current Shoes (pics below)
AE Black Park Ave
AE Brown 5th Ave
AE Merlot McCallister
AE Walnut Strand

Info: Looking for another workhorse shoe to add to my daily work routine - I work as a lawyer and wear suits daily. Looking to stick with a balmoral. AEs seem to give me pretty good value for the price, and I have a lot of money in amazon giftcards(nearly all AEs are on amazon) so I want to stick to AEs for the time being.

Suggestions welcome! Thanks

I've always loved the McAllister (sic), but in Walnut.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NYtoNC
Brooks Brothers vs. J.Press Blazer

Today the BB store was having a 30% sale on all tailored stuff so I picked up a 1818 Madison
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

Later on I was at the J.Press store and the blazers were on sale as well 25% and I really liked it a lot especially since my previous ones have been from BB so it was a nice change.
http://jpressonline.com/blazers_navy...?id=J40192-3BN

I ended up ordering both of them and I'll just have to return one of them. I am going to college next year and I'd love some input on which one is more traditional and classic. Thank you.

Edit: While I'm asking a question, is it acceptable to replace the gold buttons with Ben Silver buttons of my high school? They would not be completely gold so I don't know if that'd take away from the traditional look.

It depends on which one fits you better. The JP blazer is a sack (no darts) so it may not be as slim, but some would say more traditional. Once you decide, by all means replace the buttons.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prof. B. Bear
To wear a belt or not to wear a belt with a navy suit? Thinking of getting the belt loops removed from my trousers as they fit perfectly without a belt.

If you're not going to wear a belt, get the loops removed. If you have loops wear a belt.

easy_golfing

Reaction score
if you order >$200 on BB site, you get free shipping. If you return something, will they charge for shipping?

also, you can return items ordered online in store correct?

NYtoNC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
It depends on which one fits you better. The JP blazer is a sack (no darts) so it may not be as slim, but some would say more traditional. Once you decide, by all means replace the buttons.

They were good in different ways in terms of fit. The thing is I am definitely a slim but I have broad shoulders, and the JP had more natural shoulders so it looked better, but you are right in that the JP had to be tailored to bring in the sides a bit; however, I do not like my blazers too slim hence I went with the fuller Madison fit rather than the Fitzgerald for BB. I guess I will try on the JP after its tailored and decide.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by easy_golfing
if you order >$200 on BB site, you get free shipping. If you return something, will they charge for shipping?

also, you can return items ordered online in store correct?

If you return by mail then you pay for shipping in their direction.

Yes, you can return to a store.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do shoe widths increase with size of the shoe (i.e., 41 vs. 42) or mostly only the length?

I'm between a 41 and 42 for most shoes. When I wear a 42 I feel immediately comfortable but there's usually at least a thumbnail if not a thumbnail and a half of room from my big toe to the end of the shoe. If I go with a 41 or even 41.5 I generally feel some discomfort by EOD.

I wear a mix of dress and more "baller" sneakers, so not all the shoes I wear come in wide sizes. I think I had my shoe width measured once and it came out to maybe one about average, if that (so instead of D or whatever it was E).

Cheers!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads