Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. E TF

E TF Senior member

How exactly should you measure your sleeve for a shirt order?

I know you start from your spinal column, straight across the shoulder/back, and then down the arm.

However, some websites/videos state that bend your arm at a 70degree angle, and measure over the elbow, while others say to keep your arm by your side and relaxed.

Also, do you stop at the wristbone, heel of hand or the 'V' where thumb and index finger meet?

I need a definitive answer.

Probably best to ask whoever's going to be making the shirts for you: maybe their methods differ. In any case it might be easier just to measure one of your existing shirts that fits well (you could always add or subtract a bit if none of your present shirts' sleeves are quite right).

2. Islander

Islander Senior member

Impulse buy from a couple of years ago before I knew SF... are they horrible? They don't really fit with my mostly SW&D but I am starting to expand into MC, so I would appreciate your thoughts... keep (yes or no) and if so, what can I wear them with? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Edit: They fit great

3. Islander

Islander Senior member

Also, is there a thread dedicated to fit pics of MTM/pre-alteration suits to solicit advice, or is this it?

4. Smudge

Smudge Senior member

Islander, assuming they fit you and aren't uncomfortable, I'd keep them. I'd imagine they'd be pretty versatile; you could them wear with a number of things from suits (blues, charcoals) to slacks to jeans. See WAYWRN for inspiration.

5. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

Impulse buy from a couple of years ago before I knew SF... are they horrible? They don't really fit with my mostly SW&D but I am starting to expand into MC, so I would appreciate your thoughts... keep (yes or no) and if so, what can I wear them with?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edit: They fit great

Not bad at all, you won't get gushing love for them here but nothing like a lot of horrid things out there. They are fine. Especially if they fit well.

6. pitboss12

pitboss12 Senior member

7. YahtzeeFish

YahtzeeFish Member

8. GamaH

GamaH Well-Known Member

This may seem like a really straightforward question, but you'd be surprised how much contradictory information is out there.

Is there a definitive cm (or inches) to US-size shoe chart?

There are a lot of International/UK/EU/AUS to US size charts (which once again sometimes don't even agree with each other, based on website) but I need to know my US size to begin with, and "estimates" (as often with 'conversion' charts) won't do.

I know each shoe maker varies, and even within the shoemaker the lasts vary, but I just need to know the US "standard."

9. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Also, is there a thread dedicated to fit pics of MTM/pre-alteration suits to solicit advice, or is this it?

(Official?) Fit Critique Thread

10. bapelolol

bapelolol Senior member

For European SF'ers (Paris specifically) - do you have to pay duties/taxes when receiving items shipped from US/Canada or other European countries?

11. thrice

thrice Well-Known Member

Any good tips on best laced boots for less than 300 USD?

12. J47

J47 New Member

I have no sense of style, so i'm in need of some help. I'm attending a wedding in a couple of weeks and i need a new outfit. The dress code is pretty casual, so I was going for some brown shoes and khaki pants, although i'm not sure what to wear on top. Should i wear a blazer/whatever that matches my pants, or am I also 'allowed' to wear, say, a white one? And what should i wear under that?

Thanks for the help in advance. [​IMG]

13. E TF

E TF Senior member

For European SF'ers (Paris specifically) - do you have to pay duties/taxes when receiving items shipped from US/Canada or other European countries?

There is no duty to pay on any items shipped within the European Union. You will have to pay duty on anything shipped from the US, Canada or anywhere else, unless you get lucky and customs miss it. It will also likely delay your package for some days or weeks.

14. E TF

E TF Senior member

I have no sense of style, so i'm in need of some help. I'm attending a wedding in a couple of weeks and i need a new outfit. The dress code is pretty casual, so I was going for some brown shoes and khaki pants, although i'm not sure what to wear on top. Should i wear a blazer/whatever that matches my pants, or am I also 'allowed' to wear, say, a white one? And what should i wear under that?

Thanks for the help in advance. [​IMG]

I'd wear a suit unless you'll be the only man there in one. What does the dress code say exactly?

15. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

Could anyone who wears an 11E in Allen Edmonds Macneil/Leeds (or other similar shoes) tell me what size they wear in the Alden barrie last?