1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. onix

onix Senior member

I did, 2 years ago.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. HerkFE

HerkFE New Member

How much shoulder rise is acceptable in a suit?

My only suit purchases have been custom Tailored suits done for me while stationed in Korea.

Those suits have reached their end of life and I am now exploring OTR suits. I find that any moderate elevation in arm height leads to me looking like a Zombie in Michael Jacksons thriller video.

Is this normal with all OTR suits? Is my body type just awkward and I require a custom tailored suit to keep normal arm mobility??

3. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

What's the secret to fastening the anchor button? The one on my peacoat faces inward and there doesn't seem to be any easy way to button it up.

4. mlg321

mlg321 Well-Known Member

About to buy them, should I size down with Sperrys? I wear an 11 in sneakers and my Clark's desert boots are a 10 and they fit nice.

5. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

I believe Mason just makes shirting fabric. I've had Pink shirts and they are not worth the monet. Turnbull and Asser is said to make a very good shirt. I have some Jay Kos shirts made at the same factory and they are quite nice. They're very pricey.

6. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

Too much padding in the shoulders, but that can't be changed. It doesn't look terrible, but it doesn't look sharp, either.

7. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

Psyco Bunny makes good scarves. So does Pantherella.

Check out ParkandBond.com. They have a good selection of stuff.

You could also go to a department store like Saks, Bloomingdales, or Nordstrom, to be able to feel and handle the scarves before purchasing.

8. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

If you'd like to look trendy, go with a navy peacoat or a slim, single-breasted camel coat.

9. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

I have a jacket that is too big in the shoulders, and my tailor said he could make the shoulders smaller (although I didn't take him up on the offer due to price considerations). I've seen some pretty amazing things come out of a good tailor's shop, so if your tailor is reputable and experienced he just might be able to accomplish a complete downsize. Keep in mind, though, that no outcome can be guaranteed, even by the tailor.

10. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

If raising your arms just a small distance causes the shoulders of the jacket to raise also, then the arm holes are too big. This is a problem you will find with almost all OTR suits. They are made so that even very large men can wear them, because that means more profit potential for the manufacturer. No, your body is normal-you aren't fat.

I don't believe that a tailor can alter the size of the arm hole. Check out Ralph Lauren Black Label, as those suits have higher arm holes than most. Also, I'd highly reccomend going to a high-end department store (Saks, Bloomingdales) to try on suits, because that's the only way to ensure that the suit you buy will actually fit.

If you go with OTR suits, you'll have to be content with a little "shoulder rise." Just try to keep the rise under 2 inches with your arms at 45 degrees.

11. onix

onix Senior member

He has small shoulders, natural would look even more sloppy.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  12. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

That helps, thank you. I'll look into Turnbull & Asser. I also read Harvey & Hudson, and Hilditch & Key make a good dress shirt. I will probably look into all 3 of them then.

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

14. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Hilditch and Key has an on-line sale right now, I believe.

15. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

The best advice I can give you is to go to a store in person and try on blazers. If you order online, you can't be sure of getting a blazer that fits you perfectly, and the fit is pretty much the most important aspect of a jacket (or any other item of clothing, for that matter). There are a lot of good labels out there, but I won't mention any because I don't really have the first-hand experience to be making specific reccomendations.

Go to Saks, Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, Barneys, or other high-end department stores, and you'll be sure to find a blazer or two that fits well and hits under the $700 mark. Stay away from low-end department stores like Macys and J.C. Penny, as those typically do not carry respected clothing labels.

Oh, and unless this blazer is for very casual occasions, you should get a canvassed, not fused, wool blazer. If you don't know the difference between "canvassed" and "fused," do a quick search. Also, search for "pinch test."

16. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Canvassed versus fused has nothing to do with formality, just build quality. And fused stuff is better than it used to be.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  17. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

What I meant was that he should get a wool blazer, not a casual unstructured cotton or polyester blazer, as wool is the most "formal" and can be used in both casual and dressy situations. Then, in the same sentence, I exhorted him to go with a canvassed blazer, not a fused blazer, as drycleaning causes puckering in fused jackets.

Sorry for the ambiguous sentence. [​IMG]

18. shiftyc

shiftyc New Member

I'm new here but sorry if this get asked alot. I'm going to a wedding overseas.. and I'm going to be wearing a light blue dress shirt and black dress pants. Whaat is a good matching tie? Solid colors? Patterns? I read and searched that a navy tie would be a good option.

Thanks.

19. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

People are going to tell you not to wear a tie without a jacket. Fair warning.

20. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I won't pester you about wearing at least a jacket, but since you mention it as an important detail, what country is the wedding taking place? Might help to establish the level of formality needed. To answer your question, a solid navy tie will be fine, texture or with a pattern but no added colors. It's more formal.