• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The $5,000 Wardrobe

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
750 - ToJ Leather (grey collared moto because Black is too easy) Outerwear TOTAL: 750 500 - CP Training Boots 600 - Paul Smith/Marc Jacobs/F+B boots in brown 300 - RMW Black French Veal Chelseas 100 - Grey suede Nike Blazers (or GATs if you prefer) Shoes TOTAL: 1500 50 - Uniqlo Chinos in khaki 50 - Uniqlo T-000 white colored denim 50 - Levis 511 (cheap beaters) 250 - Random denim brand (Ande Whall? ) Bottoms TOTAL: 400 450 - Thick as Thieves Suit (navy) 250 - Uniqlo J+ Suit (grey) Formal TOTAL: 700 300 - NdG Sweater 150 - All Saints knit 150 - All Saints knit Knits TOTAL: 600 200 - Uniqlo Shirts X5 (~ 40 apiece right?) 150 - All Saints shirt 20 - Hanes V-Neck (2x three pack) Basics Total: 370 Ok so that's 3920, give or take 4K with tax and some approximating of prices. That builds a pretty good wardrobe and not filling it with cheap junk like Desert boots either. The last 1K can be dumped into some awesome grail pieces (expensive knits, more leathers) or whatever. The only thing else I would add is some lightweight jacket, maybe like a trench either on the cheap end (Uniqlo like 150?) or grab it in a cooler brand. And of course this is all retail pricing, so slash this to 60% if we're counting sales.

xCrunchx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
750 - ToJ Leather (grey collared moto because Black is too easy)
Outerwear TOTAL: 750

500 - CP Training Boots
600 - Paul Smith/Marc Jacobs/F+B boots in brown
300 - RMW Black French Veal Chelseas
100 - Grey suede Nike Blazers (or GATs if you prefer)
Shoes TOTAL: 1500

50 - Uniqlo Chinos in khaki
50 - Uniqlo T-000 white colored denim
50 - Levis 511 (cheap beaters)
250 - Random denim brand (Ande Whall? )
Bottoms TOTAL: 400

450 - Thick as Thieves Suit (navy)
250 - Uniqlo J+ Suit (grey)
Formal TOTAL: 700

300 - NdG Sweater
150 - All Saints knit
150 - All Saints knit
Knits TOTAL: 600

200 - Uniqlo Shirts X5 (~ 40 apiece right?)
150 - All Saints shirt
20 - Hanes V-Neck (2x three pack)
Basics Total: 370

Ok so that's 3920, give or take 4K with tax and some approximating of prices. That builds a pretty good wardrobe and not filling it with cheap junk like Desert boots either. The last 1K can be dumped into some awesome grail pieces (expensive knits, more leathers) or whatever.

The only thing else I would add is some lightweight jacket, maybe like a trench either on the cheap end (Uniqlo like 150?) or grab it in a cooler brand. And of course this is all retail pricing, so slash this to 60% if we're counting sales.

this is way better than what people say on the 1st page.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xCrunchx
this is way better than what people say on the 1st page.
Yeah I thought the point was to build the best wardrobe with 5k, so I don't see why people are putting money into excess cheap items (like dropping money on sterlingwear and jack purcells??). Honestly I picked All Saints because sweaters are best bang for the buck if you're a slim guy, but also because when it gets to sales time you slash 50%. If you want to go more realistically, you can factor in sales. Given that...

-300 (Paul Smith/F+B/Marc Jacobs boots because you can likely find something on sale or B&S for $300)
-150 (All Saints knits, can be bought for 50% off easily)
-75 (All Saints shirt, again 50% off easily fits just like BoO but minus marsupialed button issues)
Since that pretty fairly saves 500+ lets just say including the extra 1K we have 1.5K to spare.

Given that, time to splurge.
600 - Burgundy ToJ peacoat (good color)
250 - Nudie grey waxed denim (or something similar)
200(?) - Uniqlo single breasted Mac or double breasted Trench in stone
350 - 4HM cardigan (can't resist the knit, probably in black due to the grey leather)

That leaves about $100 or so in taxes or a good meal. So with retail and good use of B&S that leaves the final tally as:
600 - ToJ Peacoat (burgundy)
200 - Mac/Trench (stone)
Outerwear TOTAL: 1550 (Grey, Burgunday, Stone colors)

500 - CP Training Boots
300 - Paul Smith/Marc Jacobs/F+B/Buttero boots in brown (sale)
Shoes TOTAL: 1200 (Black, white, brown, grey colors)

250 - Grey waxed denim
Bottoms TOTAL: 650 (White, khaki, indigo, grey colors)

Formal TOTAL: 700 (+1 outerwear for navy, +2 if grey is a different enough shade from ToJ jacket)

300 - NdG Sweater
75 - All Saints knit (sale)
350 - 4HM Cardigan (black)
Knits TOTAL: 800 (1 solid, 2 stripes/designs, solid black 4HM cardigan)

75 - All Saints shirt (sale)
Basics Total: 295 (solid blue, solid white, stripes, plaids, Zzzz the usual, probably chambray too)

Hmm, that actually comes out to 5.2k. Well, at this point one could just cut an item they don't need (NdG sweater, 4HM cardigan, grey waxed denim) and it'll be under 5K. With a decent spread of colors across items you can mix and match and layer to your hearts content. But then again I pretty much own half this already so if anything, this is what I'd be working towards give or take good sales.

Last edited:

pronxs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^need better sneakers/shoes, bit a good list.

i stay in the equator, so that cuts a lot of knit and outerwear costs. im thinking of getting a brown boots or derby. just thinking which one is more versatile in the equatorial heat.

fuku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
-75 (All Saints shirt, again 50% off easily fits just like BoO but minus marsupialed button issues)
Recently purchased some shirts and they fit nice on me. I like your recommendations.

chiggah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Yeah I thought the point was to build the best wardrobe with 5k, so I don't see why people are putting money into excess cheap items (like dropping money on sterlingwear and jack purcells??).

Honestly I picked All Saints because sweaters are best bang for the buck if you're a slim guy, but also because when it gets to sales time you slash 50%.

If you want to go more realistically, you can factor in sales. Given that...

-300 (Paul Smith/F+B/Marc Jacobs boots because you can likely find something on sale or B&S for $300)
-150 (All Saints knits, can be bought for 50% off easily)

Since that pretty fairly saves 500+ lets just say including the extra 1K we have 1.5K to spare. Given that, time to splurge.

600 - Burgundy ToJ peacoat (good color)
250 - Nudie grey waxed denim (or something similar)
200(?) - Uniqlo single breasted Mac or double breasted Trench in stone
350 - 4HM cardigan (can't resist the knit, probably in black due to the grey leather)

That leaves about $100 or so in taxes or a good meal.

So with retail and good use of B&S that leaves the final tally as:

600 - ToJ Peacoat (burgundy)
200 - Mac/Trench (stone)
Outerwear TOTAL: 1550
(Grey, Burgunday, Stone colors)

500 - CP Training Boots
300 - Paul Smith/Marc Jacobs/F+B/Buttero boots in brown (sale)
Shoes TOTAL: 1200
(Black, white, brown, grey colors)

250 - Grey waxed denim
Bottoms TOTAL: 650
(White, khaki, indigo, grey colors)

Formal TOTAL: 700
(+1 outerwear for navy, +2 if grey is a different enough shade from ToJ jacket)

300 - NdG Sweater
350 - 4HM Cardigan (black)
Knits TOTAL: 800
(1 solid, 2 stripes/designs, solid black 4HM cardigan)

75 - All Saints shirt (sale)
Basics Total: 295
(solid blue, solid white, stripes, plaids, Zzzz the usual, probably chambray too)

Hmm, that actually comes out to 5.2k. Well, at this point one could just cut an item they don't need (NdG sweater, 4HM cardigan, grey waxed denim) and it'll be under 5K. With a decent spread of colors across items you can mix and match and layer to your hearts content. But then again I pretty much own half this already so if anything, this is what I'd be working towards give or take good sales.

Just curious how long will this wardrobe last in terms of style/fashion?

reezy

Reaction score
Where can I find all saints online other than their official store? Also, anyone in Toronto know where I can find it around?

filcol

Reaction score
Lel, IMO your list is perfect for spring and fall but I miss stuff for summer and winter.

No warm coat/jacket? No winter shoes?
No shorts? Linen/light weight shirts?
Solid colored Tees (except white and black)?
Polos?
Summer shoes?
high quality sneakers?

(THIS GOES FOR YOUR FIRST LIST)

srgprod

Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
You can get a decent casual wardrobe for damn cheap. Assuming business casual job and t-shirt/jean casual style, you're looking at Jeans: Uniqlo/Levis ($60-80) Tees: Alt. A, AA, Uniqlo, Hanes, whatever ($30 for 4-5) Shirts: Uniqlo/J.Crew/AA for $50 ($250 for 5) Sneaks: Purcells, Smiths, Chucks for $40-50 Shoes: two or three AE seconds for work or whatever ($450-500 for 3) TaT suit ($450) 2-3 mid-layer sweaters/cardigans at J.Crew ($100-150) Slacks or chinos: three from Uniqlo/J.Crew for $150 Peacoat, overcoat, blah w/e ($200 for Schott) Done for $1600, no more than $2k if you want APCs, Epaulet/ToJ shirts, or nicer shoes. You have a basic wardrobe; take the remaining $3k to travel around the world and show it off.
+1

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srgprod
+1

x1012029138029109832

I spent a lot of money way too fast when I first got into this. You don't know what you're going to like in another 6 months when you're just starting to find a style. You don't want to drop a lot of money, just cover the basics.

*If you DO know what you like though and have messed around with your style before, then it should be a no brainer how to spend 5k as you've probably got a list of things you want
laugh.gif

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My 5k Wardrobe List (many items purchased on sale) 1/each YSL black or gray suit: (find on sale ~ $1000). You F***ers MUST have a nice suit. These are like shoes, DO NOT cheap out on a suit. Yes, you can find a suit for $500 off the rack at your local "bargin outlet" but people like me will mock you all day long if you show up in a lame ass suit. DO NOT DO IT. A grand is not a lot of money for a wardrobe staple ... especially considering really nice suits are at least 5k+ (retail). *Tailoring of suit. Take in the jacket, alter the sleeve, hem the pants and in some cases tapering the pants. (at least $200). 3/each- Maison Martin Margiela slim fit dress shirts 14 collection (find on sale ~ $250/each). 1pr - Dries Van Noten/Lanvin/YSL/Gucci classic dress lace-up: (find on sale ~ $400). 1pr - Maison Martin Margiela GAT casual shoes (find for ~ $350-$400). 1pr - Yuketen moc's ($400). 1/each - Maison Martin Margiela denim pants in Black/Blue/Gray (find on sale ~ $300). or 1/each - Samauri japanese selvage denim jean (raw denim) ($350). 1/each - Maison Martin Margiela, YSL, or Balenciaga casual chino (find on sale ~ $300). 1/each - Jil Sander L/S t's (find on sale for ~ $100 each). 1/each - Maison Martin Margiela knit (find on sale for ~ $300). 2/each - Maison Martin Margiela t's (find on sale for ~ $100 each). 1/each - YSL casual button down (find on sale for ~ $250 each). 3/each - Tom Ford slim ties. (find on sale for ~ $125 each). Lunch/Dinner after shopping spree: $75. Starting Point Total: $5,000 *plan to spend another $200 - $400 on at least 5 pairs of high-quality socks and basic white t's* Future Updates: -Another high quality suit ~ ($1000 - $3000). -3 more MMM dress shirts ~ ($700). -Another pair of Gucci slip-on dress shoes ~ ($450).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads