• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drank some great stuff this weekend:
2009 Domaine Huet Chenin Blanc: Freaking Amazing!
2007 Jadot Puligny Montrachet: Very Good
2004 Caprili Brunello di Montalcino Riserva: Waaay to young, but shows promise. Should NOT have opened this yet.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by guster
What vintages for the Sea Scallop & sonoma - what did you think of those wines?

SS was 08 and Sonoma PN was 09. Out of those two I preferred the Sonoma, though compared to the Pomarium the Sonoma was not as complex. I also got the very last tiny bit of the Scalliop Shelf and didn't have the best sample to judge from. Considering Andy said the Pomarium is the best he has ever made and he foresees it going 20 yrs, the Sonoma would shine in any other vintage. All of these wines I will continue to bu. I believe the '09 SS will be released this fall.

Here are two CT reviews of the Sonoma:

Tasted by KCProper on 4/11/2011 & rated 91 points: 2011 World Tour Tasting (801 Chophouse): Definitely on the lighter side of things, but not without intense aromatics and precise fruit flavors. Needs time to flesh out. (453 views)
Tasted by alanr on 4/10/2011 & rated 91 points: TN: California Pinot "In Pursuit of Balance" tasting (RN74 Restaurant, San Francisco): Very nice dark cherry, plenty of intensity and richness but nicely balanced. (460 views)

Here are two CT reviews of the Pomarium:

2009 Peay Vineyards Pinot Noir Pomarium (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast) 4/11/2011 KCProper 92
2011 World Tour Tasting (801 Chophouse): I wine that I see destined for greatness. A bit more complex than the estate, but both are at such a young stage that it is really hard to tell. (554 views)
2009 Peay Vineyards Pinot Noir Pomarium (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast) 4/10/2011 alanr 92
TN: California Pinot "In Pursuit of Balance" tasting (RN74 Restaurant, San Francisco): Beautiful medium dark cherry, nice complexity, touch of sweetness but excellent balance. (566 views)

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace

Some of my favorite Vouvrays are by Huet - try the very sweet 'moelleux' if you get the chance and even his sparkling versions are good, which is not generally the case with vouvray. I'm amazed at the versatility of producers such as Huet who can do so much with a single varietal. Another less expensive one to try is Champalou.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
SS was 08 and Sonoma PN was 09. Out of those two I preferred the Sonoma, though compared to the Pomarium the Sonoma was not as complex. I also got the very last tiny bit of the Scalliop Shelf and didn't have the best sample to judge from. Considering Andy said the Pomarium is the best he has ever made and he foresees it going 20 yrs, the Sonoma would shine in any other vintage. All of these wines I will continue to bu. I believe the '09 SS will be released this fall.

Yes, as I've said here many times, Peay builds wines to last. I've got four of the 09 Pomarium this year, along with some SVD Chard, a couple of Viognier and a couple of SS. Just checking Cellar Tracker and I have 43 bottles of Peay in stock
smile.gif

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Yes, as I've said here many times, Peay builds wines to last. I've got four of the 09 Pomarium this year, along with some SVD Chard, a couple of Viognier and a couple of SS. Just checking Cellar Tracker and I have 43 bottles of Peay in stock
smile.gif

Now that I have a dedicated (passive) wine cellar I plan to buy about a case a year. I only have about a case right now in CT. Pio wins.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
Now that I have a dedicated (passive) wine cellar I plan to buy about a case a year. I only have about a case right now in CT. Pio wins.

No contests just a shared journey.
cheers.gif

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Enjoyed a 2002 Yalumba 'The Signature' Shiraz/Cabernet last night. If anyone else here has a bottle kicking around, it's ready!

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recent haul from a memorial day bargain wine crawl (rhyming was unintentional). All were under $15, first four are Spanish from Tinto Fino in the East Village, next four are french from Astor Place. Bonus picture is of a recent purchase, salvage shoe rack that I am using to store some of the cheaper bottles.

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

guster

Reaction score
Eustace;4528622 said:

Which Huet? They make a sec, demi and a few others. I have only opened the sec. Thought it was very good, excellent for the price. I think the Huet demi sec and sweet wines are much better with age. Drank some 2002 Huet demi last year that was just outstanding.

guster

Reaction score
pscolari;4528854 said:

Thanks.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
07 AP Vin, Garys' Vineyard.

Damn but Psioni knows how to grow grapes.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
some Duoro blanc, a, '02 Corton-Charlemagne white burg, '88 Jaboulet La Chapelle Hermitage, a trio of desert wines (one was a 20 yr tawny, I don't remember what the others were), a '97 unoaked and no malo Cali Chard that was very nice, some Bollinger Champs, and a massive '04 Spanish wine that I know nothing about.

A little overdone, but good time out.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
the 02 was a C-C not a P-M

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a nice bone-dry 2010 muscat from a favorite BC winery, Joie Farms. Very pale in colour, low alc and impressive acidity. Flavours were mostly floral and subtle peach, but surprisingly it smelled and tasted like muscat grapes...
plain.gif
Best part was only ~$22. Went perfectly with prawn fried rice and cucumber salad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads