The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Eustace

Eustace Senior member

Drank some great stuff this weekend:
    2009 Domaine Huet Chenin Blanc: Freaking Amazing!
    2007 Jadot Puligny Montrachet: Very Good
    2004 Caprili Brunello di Montalcino Riserva: Waaay to young, but shows promise. Should NOT have opened this yet.

2. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

What vintages for the Sea Scallop & sonoma - what did you think of those wines?

SS was 08 and Sonoma PN was 09. Out of those two I preferred the Sonoma, though compared to the Pomarium the Sonoma was not as complex. I also got the very last tiny bit of the Scalliop Shelf and didn't have the best sample to judge from. Considering Andy said the Pomarium is the best he has ever made and he foresees it going 20 yrs, the Sonoma would shine in any other vintage. All of these wines I will continue to bu. I believe the '09 SS will be released this fall.

Here are two CT reviews of the Sonoma:

Tasted by KCProper on 4/11/2011 & rated 91 points: 2011 World Tour Tasting (801 Chophouse): Definitely on the lighter side of things, but not without intense aromatics and precise fruit flavors. Needs time to flesh out. (453 views)
    Tasted by alanr on 4/10/2011 & rated 91 points: TN: California Pinot "In Pursuit of Balance" tasting (RN74 Restaurant, San Francisco): Very nice dark cherry, plenty of intensity and richness but nicely balanced. (460 views)

Here are two CT reviews of the Pomarium:

2009 Peay Vineyards Pinot Noir Pomarium (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast) 4/11/2011 KCProper 92
    2011 World Tour Tasting (801 Chophouse): I wine that I see destined for greatness. A bit more complex than the estate, but both are at such a young stage that it is really hard to tell. (554 views)
    2009 Peay Vineyards Pinot Noir Pomarium (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast) 4/10/2011 alanr 92
    TN: California Pinot "In Pursuit of Balance" tasting (RN74 Restaurant, San Francisco): Beautiful medium dark cherry, nice complexity, touch of sweetness but excellent balance. (566 views)

3. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Drank some great stuff this weekend:
    2009 Domaine Huet Chenin Blanc: Freaking Amazing!

Some of my favorite Vouvrays are by Huet - try the very sweet 'moelleux' if you get the chance and even his sparkling versions are good, which is not generally the case with vouvray. I'm amazed at the versatility of producers such as Huet who can do so much with a single varietal. Another less expensive one to try is Champalou.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

SS was 08 and Sonoma PN was 09. Out of those two I preferred the Sonoma, though compared to the Pomarium the Sonoma was not as complex. I also got the very last tiny bit of the Scalliop Shelf and didn't have the best sample to judge from. Considering Andy said the Pomarium is the best he has ever made and he foresees it going 20 yrs, the Sonoma would shine in any other vintage. All of these wines I will continue to bu. I believe the '09 SS will be released this fall.

Yes, as I've said here many times, Peay builds wines to last. I've got four of the 09 Pomarium this year, along with some SVD Chard, a couple of Viognier and a couple of SS. Just checking Cellar Tracker and I have 43 bottles of Peay in stock [​IMG]

5. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

Yes, as I've said here many times, Peay builds wines to last. I've got four of the 09 Pomarium this year, along with some SVD Chard, a couple of Viognier and a couple of SS. Just checking Cellar Tracker and I have 43 bottles of Peay in stock [​IMG]

Now that I have a dedicated (passive) wine cellar I plan to buy about a case a year. I only have about a case right now in CT. Pio wins.

6. Piobaire

Now that I have a dedicated (passive) wine cellar I plan to buy about a case a year. I only have about a case right now in CT. Pio wins.

No contests just a shared journey. [​IMG]

7. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior member

Enjoyed a 2002 Yalumba 'The Signature' Shiraz/Cabernet last night. If anyone else here has a bottle kicking around, it's ready!

8. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Recent haul from a memorial day bargain wine crawl (rhyming was unintentional). All were under $15, first four are Spanish from Tinto Fino in the East Village, next four are french from Astor Place. Bonus picture is of a recent purchase, salvage shoe rack that I am using to store some of the cheaper bottles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. guster

guster Senior member

10. guster

guster Senior member

11. Piobaire

07 AP Vin, Garys' Vineyard.

Damn but Psioni knows how to grow grapes.

12. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

some Duoro blanc, a, '02 Corton-Charlemagne white burg, '88 Jaboulet La Chapelle Hermitage, a trio of desert wines (one was a 20 yr tawny, I don't remember what the others were), a '97 unoaked and no malo Cali Chard that was very nice, some Bollinger Champs, and a massive '04 Spanish wine that I know nothing about.

A little overdone, but good time out.

13. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

the 02 was a C-C not a P-M

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

fixed.

Great food.

15. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Had a nice bone-dry 2010 muscat from a favorite BC winery, Joie Farms. Very pale in colour, low alc and impressive acidity. Flavours were mostly floral and subtle peach, but surprisingly it smelled and tasted like muscat grapes... [​IMG] Best part was only ~$22. Went perfectly with prawn fried rice and cucumber salad.