• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another "my new apartment" thread

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You have great taste. Love the apartment.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Yes, moving from Sofienberg to Uranienborg.
I was there just a year ago before hopping to Bodo & the lofoten. Very nice city, spent a pleasant late afternoon and early evening in Frogner park, probably crossed through Uranienborg on my way there.
Were it not for the absurd prices of just about anything, I could live in oslo
wink.gif

!luc

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
I was there just a year ago before hopping to Bodo & the lofoten. Very nice city, spent a pleasant late afternoon and early evening in Frogner park, probably crossed through Uranienborg on my way there. Were it not for the absurd prices of just about anything, I could live in oslo
wink.gif
!luc

Yes, exactly. If you take the walk from the royal palace to the park, it's more or less halfway. Some specific areas What did you think of the sculpture park? Evelyn Waugh called it the most heathen thing he'd seen in Europe, and a "sub-human zoo"... I spent my first six years in Bodø, and my parents moved to Lofoten a few years ago - nice, very scenic and 24-hour sunny in summer, frozen hell with a dash of Atlantic storms in winter. And yes, the prices are insane - quite a few Norwegians in the border regions do their daily grocery shopping in Sweden, and almost anyone who has the option, go there occasionally for filling up their cars. There are huge shopping malls in the middle of the Swedish forest, just over the border, catering exclusively to Norwegians.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What did you think of the sculpture park? Evelyn Waugh called it the most heathen thing he'd seen in Europe, and a "sub-human zoo"...
Very disturbing, especially the monolith. I kind of stumbled on it, because I didn't know Vigeland's sculpture were in this park! My wife did, of course, and this is probably why she dragged me here in the first place.

I spent my first six years in Bodø, and my parents moved to Lofoten a few years ago - nice, very scenic and 24-hour sunny in summer, frozen hell with a dash of Atlantic storms in winter.
Seeing the mountains springing out of the sea was striking, climbing them was even more fun
smile.gif

I'd like to see what it's like in the winter/early spring.

And yes, the prices are insane - quite a few Norwegians in the border regions do their daily grocery shopping in Sweden, and almost anyone who has the option, go there occasionally for filling up their cars. There are huge shopping malls in the middle of the Swedish forest, just over the border, catering exclusively to Norwegians.
Indeed. Even Iceland was cheaper when I went there!
ffffuuuu.gif

!luc

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
Seeing the mountains springing out of the sea was striking, climbing them was even more fun
smile.gif

Did you climb Svolværgeita ("The Goat") and do the leap between the horns? Longest two metres in the world, I'm told...
svolv2.jpg
dsc_4868.jpg
If you fall down from there, you'll more or less hit the roof of my parents' house.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apartment update: I'm loving the new place; it's a 1939 building in a far more radical modernist/international style, and built to higher standards - there's polished oak floors, a big fireplace, a balcony, a bedroom for the offspring, and far, far better kindergartens and schools around than this area offers. The area we left is a just-now-gentrifying, old working-class part of town, and schools, parking, quiet at night etc. isn't the priority for the students, hipsters and bohemians moving in around there. It was perfect for us before we started having kids, though. The new place also has its original 1939 lift with burled birch veneer and "Long live the King!" WWII graffiti intact inside, and the old-fashioned type of expanding/hinged grid metal inner doors (very film noir, I feel). Here's a few photos of the new place, it's from the sales brochure, so none of the furniture and stuff is ours, although some very nice pieces, I have to admit. A couple of days ago, I discovered that its local nickname is "the battleship". Noice. 1939 and 1950s photos:
OB_Y7466.jpg
A-10002_Ua_0032_136.jpg
The penthouse flat was originally built as a place-in-town for Wagner soprano Kirsten Flagstad, but this fell through, presumably because of her...wartime troubles. The top flat was then bought by Gudmund Brundtland, cabinet minister and father of later prime minister Gro Harlem Brundtland, who grew up there. Today's situation - it's built on a wedge-shaped plot, so it has a sort of flat-iron shape:
79_550497495_xl.jpg
Living-room:
cc2bh.jpg
cc2bd.jpg
I'm planning on placing the corner sofa around the fireplace, and having the diinner-table by the window/balcony, like the previous occupants. That huge cabinet/shelf thing has left, and will be replaced by something lower. "Nursery":
cc2bf.jpg
Thankfully, the previous owners were very good with uncovering and recreating original features, they managed to get all the correct door-handles, and kept the original teakwood window frames and sills. They're taking a couple of very period-correct lamps with them, which is of course a pity, but quite understandable. Bedroom, I don't really like the new floors in the nursery and bedroom, as they don't match the original floors in the living-room and hall, but whatever:
cc2bg.jpg
cc2be.jpg
Bathroom:
cc2bl.jpg
The kitchen will be upgraded somewhat, I'm considering having the cabinet doors lacquered white, and I want a stainless steel sheet between the upper and loer cabinets on the left:
cc2bk.jpg
Balcony and view:
cc2bi.jpg
cc2bc.jpg
And plan:
CC2Bplan.jpg
It's still tiny, it's actually exactly the same size as the one we sold, but the plan is far, far better for us, with a kid in the picture.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics