• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a minor for architecture major

ryanlvv

Reaction score
I'm transferring to a college and won't be able to fully enter the program until next year, I'll be able to take all my pre-reqs for it but usually they have freshman take their gen eds but I will be done since I'm transferring. Anyways, during this time I've been advised to work/almost complete my minor...now what should it be..

http://admission.wsu.edu/academics/f...castle?id=7774
I should probably minor in one of these to help me out the most.
My best guess would be construction management?

Apparel Design
Art
Art History
Construction Management
East Asian Studies for Engineering and Architecture Majors
Fine Arts
Global Studies
Merchandising

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Doesn't matter at all. Pick the one you're enthusiastic about. Global studies and fine arts (with an emphasis on freehand drawing/mixed media) are the only two that really stand out as being unique opportunities to give you relevant knowledge/skills that you might otherwise miss in a formal architecture education.

Stewbone

Reaction score
My dad has been an architect for 30 years now and the advice he is always giving me (im in the field of economics) is how important computer programming is to know. My dad is always saying how quick technology is changing in the field of architecture and if you have skills in computer information systems it helps you adapt easier.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stewbone
My dad has been an architect for 30 years now and the advice he is always giving me (im in the field of economics) is how important computer programming is to know. My dad is always saying how quick technology is changing in the field of architecture and if you have skills in computer information systems it helps you adapt easier.
+100 If you're in college right now and not soaking up as much computer science as you can, you are ************ future up the ass. Seriously. I don't care what field you want to go into; CS is the future of your field. And college is the best time to learn it (actually, high school is, but I digress). Everyone thinks they can just "pick up" CS on the job, or after graduation in their spare time. What they quickly learn is that a) spare time is laughably nonexistent in the working world, and b) CS is a subject that doesn't come naturally to most people, and thus, requires a lot of time invested.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
+100

If you're in college right now and not soaking up as much computer science as you can, you are ************ future up the ass. Seriously. I don't care what field you want to go into; CS is the future of your field.

Isn't the CS future of your field located somewhere in India right now?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Isn't the CS future of your field located somewhere in India right now?
Lawl, yes. I'll be comfortably retired (or sufficiently nest-egged-up) by the time the big reckoning hits my industry, though.

imschatz

Reaction score
+1 .. when you know basic programming skills, you are way out in front. The ability to replace repetitive tasks with "macros" or simple computer programs .. makes you much more productive, and gets you comfortable using computers in a more sophisticated way.

ryanlvv

Reaction score
Ahh, I remember a quarter where I took CS101, CS105, and CS110.

I almost lost my financial aid because of that quarter.

I figure i'll do a mix of fine arts and computer science though even if I don't get a minor in anything as long as I actually learn something that is useful to me.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Are you sure he's talking about how important computer programming knowledge is or how important computer program knowledge is? I know few if any architects that are skilled in actual computer programming.

ryanlvv

Reaction score
Would a business admin minor be helpful, I was going to major in it before I transferred to a school with an ARCH degree, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to get my minor in that.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Probably not. You'll have a course or two on professional practice and the different business structures of offices and their finances. Just do what you want to learn.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would imagine it has nothing to do with computer programming but more about using specific computer programs (modelling/CAD most likely I would assume).

I can't imagine may situations in which an architect would be writing out something in C++. Maybe using scripting languages built into other tools to perform specific tasks (so a little very basic CS could be helpful) but nothing along the lines of "real" programming.

For a minor, this is the only advice you need:
Take whatever the **** you want. Find something you enjoy or that interests you. Find something that will be hard to pick up after you graduate (a spanish minor will get you far more than trying to take some crappy once a week class for an hour after work at the language acquisition center).
This whole thing is about making you a better person not preparing you for a specific career. Since you are pursueing a professional program, that part becomes more about a career so why not use your minor to do something fun/different (or just take classes you find interesting and say screw the minor since exactly zero people will care about your minor after you graduate).

Sazerac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryanlvv
Would a business admin minor be helpful, I was going to major in it before I transferred to a school with an ARCH degree, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to get my minor in that.

FWIW, a close friend of mine is a very prominent architect. He's much older than I am (in his 60's) and often says that the single best way arch schools could be improved is to incorporate more business management classes. He's the head of a large firm and had to learn all the business stuff on his own.

Just throwing that out there.

ryanlvv

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I think that I will just forget the minor since it won't even matter by the time I get my M.Arch. I'll take practical classes that can help me out like drawing, interior design, landscape arch, some philosophy (I'm a fan.) some useful business classes when and if I can fit'em all in.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I speak as an architect.

Art History ... with special attention given to architectural history.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics