1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Need a minor for architecture major

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by ryanlvv, May 30, 2011.

1. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

My program required 16 hours of Structural Engineering course work. That said, most architect's I know work with a fully licensed professional or structural engineer. I know of very few who received degrees in both architecture and structural engineering. That said, I have often engineered smaller projects, but wouldn't consider taking on that role with a larger project.
    Thank you [​IMG] Do you think that having an SE degree would affect how an architect approached things aesthetically ? Or wouldn't it make much difference?

2. RSS

RSS Senior member

^sorry about my using the possive when I meant plural.

3. RSS

RSS Senior member

Do you think that having an SE degree would affect how an architect approached things aesthetically ? Or wouldn't it make much difference?
    Two people in my relatively small class pursued degrees in structural engineering in addition to architecture. Their work always stressed the structural by fully exposing it.

4. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

^sorry about my using the possive when I meant plural.
    No worries ('s) [​IMG]

5. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Two people in my relatively small class persued degrees in structural engineering in addition to architecture. Their work always stressed the structural by fully exposing it.
    Aah. Seems to make sense. The structural is the aesthetic. Similar to the timber framers that I've met. Speaking to them is about the only time you can use the word "undersquint" in casual conversation (without getting slapped).

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just wanted to say from somebody that has no knowledge of the education behind architects this has been interesting to read thus far.

7. RSS

RSS Senior member

No worries ('s) [​IMG]
    ... and now comes persued for pursued. [​IMG]

8. RSS

RSS Senior member

Aah. Seems to make sense. The structural is the aesthetic. Similar to the timber framers that I've met.

Speaking to them is about the only time you can use the word "undersquint" in casual conversation (without getting slapped).

Your use is only the second time I've seen that work in print. I don't think I've ever heard it used ... and I recently completed a 24 car "carriage house" that is timber framed.

9. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

... and now comes persued for pursued. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Your use is only the second time I've seen that work in print. I don't think I've ever heard it used ... and I recently completed a 24 car "carriage house" that is timber framed.
    Ah, tears for expertise lost. Actually used joins with double undersquints where I was worried the join would be put under tension as the beam sagged under load. Better than pins (IMHO) and it made for an interesting carpentry exercise. (so that makes 3 times) [​IMG]

11. kungapa

kungapa Senior member

I would imagine it has nothing to do with computer programming but more about using specific computer programs (modelling/CAD most likely I would assume).

I can't imagine may situations in which an architect would be writing out something in C++. Maybe using scripting languages built into other tools to perform specific tasks (so a little very basic CS could be helpful) but nothing along the lines of "real" programming.

For a minor, this is the only advice you need:
    Take whatever the fuck you want. Find something you enjoy or that interests you. Find something that will be hard to pick up after you graduate (a spanish minor will get you far more than trying to take some crappy once a week class for an hour after work at the language acquisition center).
    This whole thing is about making you a better person not preparing you for a specific career. Since you are pursueing a professional program, that part becomes more about a career so why not use your minor to do something fun/different (or just take classes you find interesting and say screw the minor since exactly zero people will care about your minor after you graduate).

You'd be surprised - but it is usually rather niche work.

Also, if it is design you want to get into, be sure to master the digital modelling tools - especially Rhino at the moment, preferably with a solid understanding of Grasshopper.

12. bingebag

bingebag Well-Known Member

Also, if it is design you want to get into, be sure to master the digital modelling tools - especially Rhino at the moment, preferably with a solid understanding of Grasshopper.

Not pushing Revit/Tekla on the kids yet?

13. summej2

summej2 Senior member

FWIW, it seems to me that new building systems and other nonvisual aspects of design (e.g., acoustics and climate) are going to be the areas where architecture really grows over the next few decades. Energy demands combined with the aging population are going to create new needs.