• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I layered Aramis 900 with Iquitos for some extra rose today. I worked fairly well.

I recently used up the last of my decant of Lutens Encens et Lavande - I think it may be bottle worthy. I have a close friend in Paris that can send me a bottle. I'm going to have to make a decision...

I'm getting the itch to go down to the Scentbar and try those ELdO scents. I'm especially curious about the jasmine and cigarettes one, but I'm curious about the whole line.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
today sampling Aventus. I do like it, but am finding the longevity and sillage lacking... hmmmm.

Hmmm... Aventus is one of the few Creeds where I didn't have that issue. Personal body chemistry must account for way more than I give it credit for.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Commes des Garcons White.

21603.jpg

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
Hmmm... Aventus is one of the few Creeds where I didn't have that issue. Personal body chemistry must account for way more than I give it credit for.

Or batch variations, from which Aventus suffers. There's even a thread on Basenotes comparing Lot and Batch numbers so people can figure out which bottles are strong and last long.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Or batch variations, from which Aventus suffers. There's even a thread on Basenotes comparing Lot and Batch numbers so people can figure out which bottles are strong and last long.

That's good to know - thanks.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In regards to CdG White - it doesn't get any love at all online, but wow, I love that one. Do you own it? PM me!

Today I wore Etro Sandalo (from the swap box that I should be able to get out on Friday); for whatever reason I think I could have sprayed once in each nostril and still smelled nothing. As the day went on I sort of got a musky waft every once in awhile at best. Is it possible for a fragrance to have zero top notes? Heh.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a question regarding longevity. I've noticed that when I spray jubilation xxv on my neck and I wear a jacket thereafter, the collar portion retains some of that scent for days on end. However, the scent quickly leaves my neck within a couple of hours (one of my biggest complaints of my favorite cologne).

Why is it that the scent will remain on fabric for such a longer period of time than on skin? The interesting part is that this only seems to happen when the scent rubs off onto my clothes. The last time I spritzed some cologne directly onto the chest of my sweater, the scent was virtually non-existent and I definitely wasn't able to detect it after a couple hours.

gwolf

Reaction score
bulgari ph soir. i wonder if extreme is nice. i like this one well enough.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Eau d'Hermes today.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nautica Oceans. Wishing this acquatic could somehow channel some sunshine outside.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
I have a question regarding longevity. I've noticed that when I spray jubilation xxv on my neck and I wear a jacket thereafter, the collar portion retains some of that scent for days on end. However, the scent quickly leaves my neck within a couple of hours (one of my biggest complaints of my favorite cologne).

Why is it that the scent will remain on fabric for such a longer period of time than on skin? The interesting part is that this only seems to happen when the scent rubs off onto my clothes. The last time I spritzed some cologne directly onto the chest of my sweater, the scent was virtually non-existent and I definitely wasn't able to detect it after a couple hours.

Two reasons: a) the scent in oils is heat- and photo-sensitive, in that what's exposed tends to degrade faster than a scent that's under cover. Something on your bare wrists (in short sleeves) will fade faster than something under your shirt. But the more compelling reason here is 2) your skin slowly absorbs the oil, and the scents within the oil tend to evaporate like water in a dish. The oil evaporates a lot more slowly when covered, again, under or inside of clothing.

This process also helps to explain why the topnotes of a scent tend to fade quickly (lighter scents: lemon, lime, bergamot, aldehydes), and why the heavier basenotes hang around forever (vanilla, benzoin, musk, beeswax) - the heavier notes are less susceptible to light and heat, and they evaporate much less slowly.

BTW: speaking of musk, today it's Kiehl's Musk with Guerlain Anisia Bella.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Two reasons: a) the scent in oils is heat- and photo-sensitive, in that what's exposed tends to degrade faster than a scent that's under cover. Something on your bare wrists (in short sleeves) will fade faster than something under your shirt. But the more compelling reason here is 2) your skin slowly absorbs the oil, and the scents within the oil tend to evaporate like water in a dish. The oil evaporates a lot more slowly when covered, again, under or inside of clothing.

This process also helps to explain why the topnotes of a scent tend to fade quickly (lighter scents: lemon, lime, bergamot, aldehydes), and why the heavier basenotes hang around forever (vanilla, benzoin, musk, beeswax) - the heavier notes are less susceptible to light and heat, and they evaporate much less slowly.

BTW: speaking of musk, today it's Kiehl's Musk with Guerlain Anisia Bella.

awesome! thanks for the detailed write-up.

i also have kiehl's musk -- haven't worn it for a while, though. not sure if it'd be an appropriate summer scent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads