Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. willpower

willpower Senior member

Hmmm... Aventus is one of the few Creeds where I didn't have that issue. Personal body chemistry must account for way more than I give it credit for.

Or batch variations, from which Aventus suffers. There's even a thread on Basenotes comparing Lot and Batch numbers so people can figure out which bottles are strong and last long.

2. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Or batch variations, from which Aventus suffers. There's even a thread on Basenotes comparing Lot and Batch numbers so people can figure out which bottles are strong and last long.

That's good to know - thanks.

3. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

In regards to CdG White - it doesn't get any love at all online, but wow, I love that one. Do you own it? PM me!

Today I wore Etro Sandalo (from the swap box that I should be able to get out on Friday); for whatever reason I think I could have sprayed once in each nostril and still smelled nothing. As the day went on I sort of got a musky waft every once in awhile at best. Is it possible for a fragrance to have zero top notes? Heh.

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Really? I get sandalwood from dawn until dusk with that one. Its not the most potent but its the most well-rounded IMO.

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I have a question regarding longevity. I've noticed that when I spray jubilation xxv on my neck and I wear a jacket thereafter, the collar portion retains some of that scent for days on end. However, the scent quickly leaves my neck within a couple of hours (one of my biggest complaints of my favorite cologne).

Why is it that the scent will remain on fabric for such a longer period of time than on skin? The interesting part is that this only seems to happen when the scent rubs off onto my clothes. The last time I spritzed some cologne directly onto the chest of my sweater, the scent was virtually non-existent and I definitely wasn't able to detect it after a couple hours.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Simple answer - your suit doesn't sweat.

Complicated answer - someone else type that out please.

7. gwolf

gwolf Senior member

bulgari ph soir. i wonder if extreme is nice. i like this one well enough.

8. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Eau d'Hermes today.

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Nautica Oceans. Wishing this acquatic could somehow channel some sunshine outside.

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I have a question regarding longevity. I've noticed that when I spray jubilation xxv on my neck and I wear a jacket thereafter, the collar portion retains some of that scent for days on end. However, the scent quickly leaves my neck within a couple of hours (one of my biggest complaints of my favorite cologne).

Why is it that the scent will remain on fabric for such a longer period of time than on skin? The interesting part is that this only seems to happen when the scent rubs off onto my clothes. The last time I spritzed some cologne directly onto the chest of my sweater, the scent was virtually non-existent and I definitely wasn't able to detect it after a couple hours.

Two reasons: a) the scent in oils is heat- and photo-sensitive, in that what's exposed tends to degrade faster than a scent that's under cover. Something on your bare wrists (in short sleeves) will fade faster than something under your shirt. But the more compelling reason here is 2) your skin slowly absorbs the oil, and the scents within the oil tend to evaporate like water in a dish. The oil evaporates a lot more slowly when covered, again, under or inside of clothing.

This process also helps to explain why the topnotes of a scent tend to fade quickly (lighter scents: lemon, lime, bergamot, aldehydes), and why the heavier basenotes hang around forever (vanilla, benzoin, musk, beeswax) - the heavier notes are less susceptible to light and heat, and they evaporate much less slowly.

BTW: speaking of musk, today it's Kiehl's Musk with Guerlain Anisia Bella.

11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Two reasons: a) the scent in oils is heat- and photo-sensitive, in that what's exposed tends to degrade faster than a scent that's under cover. Something on your bare wrists (in short sleeves) will fade faster than something under your shirt. But the more compelling reason here is 2) your skin slowly absorbs the oil, and the scents within the oil tend to evaporate like water in a dish. The oil evaporates a lot more slowly when covered, again, under or inside of clothing.

This process also helps to explain why the topnotes of a scent tend to fade quickly (lighter scents: lemon, lime, bergamot, aldehydes), and why the heavier basenotes hang around forever (vanilla, benzoin, musk, beeswax) - the heavier notes are less susceptible to light and heat, and they evaporate much less slowly.

BTW: speaking of musk, today it's Kiehl's Musk with Guerlain Anisia Bella.

awesome! thanks for the detailed write-up.

i also have kiehl's musk -- haven't worn it for a while, though. not sure if it'd be an appropriate summer scent.

12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

awesome! thanks for the detailed write-up.

i also have kiehl's musk -- haven't worn it for a while, though. not sure if it'd be an appropriate summer scent.

Kiehl's just hovers on the edge of decency in the summertime. I'll probably wind up wearing a few 'winter' scents this summer to see if they hold up better. Someone was telling me about wearing Chergui - of all scents - in the summer and how much better it got. Besides, I have a ton of Bulgari Black and cannot wear it in inclement weather, or else my mood darkens uncontrollably. So it's summer, or nada.

13. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

How do you guys feel about Kiehl's musk? I got myself a sample but haven't tried it yet as I prefer musky fragrances on colder days.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

15. tps16

tps16 Senior member