• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tucking in the tie

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
5.4"? Is this a rolling 30 year average, or does the pool just keep growing? What is the median? I am pretty sure in health class back in 1996 the average was 6"

Its the AZN population explosion
plain.gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chavlad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321
"It means no tucking the narrow side of the tie into the gap between the shirt's buttons."

People who write rules like this are idiots. I'm kinda short, and if I didn't tuck the narrow end of any standard length tie between my shirt buttons it would hang down to my crotch; I think tucking it in is preferable to that...

As for tucking the wide end into your trousers, I think it can look good in certain circumstances.

Indeed yes.

Bowtiedlad93

Reaction score
This is a fashion no no, You may tuck it into your shirt from behind the long end of the tie but not into the pants. your best bet you be to try a diffrent knot that leaves less left over fabric.

Chavlad

Reaction score
so all my life ive been using the four in hand knot while tying ties and it usually leaves alot of excess so that the tie sits well below the belt line. ive gotten into the habit of tucking in the end of my tie into my pants just because it prevents it from flip flopping around while my jacket is unbuttoned. BUT i only seem to do this with a box end knit tie, not so much with a pointed end silk tie. good look, bad look? kinda sorta maybe?
For the fat/proper part this ismega I think!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads