tucking in the tie

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by polarcreamsoda, May 20, 2011.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

The look is personal taste, but silk is delicate. Shoving it into your crotch with a belt compressing it and causing friction doesnt make sense.

Great way to ruin a tie!

2. Not Ed Harris

Not Ed Harris Senior member

Disagree. It looks somehow way too juvenile for a grown man, like when adults tuck linen serviettes (napkins to you colonials) into the top of their shirts when out to dinner.

If you're going to talk down to the colonials at least get it right. It is perfectly acceptable for an Englishman to say "napkin". In fact, I believe it may even be considered a trifle gauche to use "serviette" in certain company.

Next thing you know you'll be saying "pardon" when you don't hear someone properly.

Also, no. I wouldn't go for the tucked in look. It says to me that the person either can't tie a tie properly or can't get one the right length.

3. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

If you're going to talk down to the colonials at least get it right. It is perfectly acceptable for an Englishman to say "napkin". In fact, I believe it may even be considered a trifle gauche to use "serviette" in certain company.

Next thing you know you'll be saying "pardon" when you don't hear someone properly.

Also, no. I wouldn't go for the tucked in look. It says to me that the person either can't tie a tie properly or can't get one the right length.

Pardon? I'm a bit corned beef mate!

4. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior member

I would say no, but IIRC Astaire did it so automatically in my book that makes it ok.....

5. Not Ed Harris

Not Ed Harris Senior member

Pardon? I'm a bit corned beef mate!

I SAID...

Never mind

6. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

Sinatra did this. As others have mentioned, it can look very dapper if you are rakish enough to pull it off. Not everyone is.

7. CJG_NYC

CJG_NYC Senior member

People who write rules like this are idiots. I'm kinda short, and if I didn't tuck the narrow end of any standard length tie between my shirt buttons it would hang down to my crotch; I think tucking it in is preferable to that...

As for tucking the wide end into your trousers, I think it can look good in certain circumstances.

I am a short male too and I enjoy using a four-in-hand (and now recently a lot more a double four-in-hand) knot but the problem is that the narrow/back blade will always end up being longer than my front/wider blade (if, of course I am trying to have my front blade at the correct length).

I used to do the tucking into the shirt thing, and I was so irritated by it. What I do now is fold up the back blade, run it back through the loop on the front blade, and then I secure it with one of those plastic clips that you find on shirts while they are folded up in stores. I believe the "original" ones are called Jet-Clips (give it a google).

[​IMG]

8. softy

softy Senior member

I am a short male too and I enjoy using a four-in-hand (and now recently a lot more a double four-in-hand) knot but the problem is that the narrow/back blade will always end up being longer than my front/wider blade (if, of course I am trying to have my front blade at the correct length).

I used to do the tucking into the shirt thing, and I was so irritated by it. What I do now is fold up the back blade, run it back through the loop on the front blade, and then I secure it with one of those plastic clips that you find on shirts while they are folded up in stores. I believe the "original" ones are called Jet-Clips (give it a google).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BUSP

BUSP Active Member

Just have the narrow end of the tie shortened for $7 by your local dry cleaner. How hard is that? Or, take scissors to the damn thing.

10. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

in Dressing the Man I know Flusser approved of the tucked tie on a guy with a short torso

This can add a bit of panache if wearing a jacket and you know what the hell you're doing.

[​IMG]

11. polarcreamsoda

polarcreamsoda Senior member

cant say i really dig that look.

i think the tucked knit tie can be a very fashion forward statement if you have the swag to pull it off. here is hoping that i do.

12. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

For any serious business dress, I would not recommend tucking the tie.. As leisurewear, do whatever you like. A Four In Hand knot uses the least amount of fabric so you may also want to explore other knots and see if that doesn't correct the overhang problem.
    Also be mindful that ties come in different lengths.

13. Patek

Patek Senior member

14. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

By the way, FIH is old-hat. The better way to tie the FIH that also cures the length problem is the double wrap FIH. Just do an additional twist during the tying process and shave off a few inches from the small end.

15. GBR

GBR Senior member

A dreadful look - can you not get shorter ties?