tucking in the tie

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by polarcreamsoda, May 20, 2011.

1. howbah

howbah Senior member

[​IMG]

Fantastic! I will clip and save this!!!!!!!!!!

For reference the next time I want to go to a costume party as "Louie 'Checks' Malnati, little-known Capone henchman".

2. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

tie tucking? is this anything like penis tucking, like that dude in Silence of the Lambs?

3. CJG_NYC

CJG_NYC Senior member

[​IMG]

I dont think this is a reply that is setting up for a long drawn out conversation and/or lashing. In fact, there is a very big issue with being a below average height male and trying to dress correctly. Of course, I could get my ties custom made, and I am planning to slowly invest in the staple ties in sizes custom made for me. Until then, I promise you that having the tie clipped up is neither noticeable nor a bad idea when compared to the alternative of tucking in between shirt buttons or having my back blade longer than my front.

Just have the narrow end of the tie shortened for $7 by your local dry cleaner. How hard is that? Or, take scissors to the damn thing.

It is not hard to do that at all. I have tried, and unfortunately for me it had created problems. I've had ties start to get fabric pulls in weird areas because of the alteration and I've had them fray at the end. But, that all said, it might be worth giving it another shot with someone more professional.

4. atila

atila Senior member

I had my tailor shorten my ties for me. Cost me about $10-12/each if I recall. No issues with the ties at all, just the point on the narrow end looks a little funky, but no big deal.

5. An Ex Parrot

An Ex Parrot Active Member

By the way, FIH is old-hat.

Say it ain't so! Am I broadcasting my dotage by using a four-in-hand? I've always found it quite jaunty--a sartorial relief from stuffy Windsors.

Mortified,
    AEP

6. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

By the way, FIH is old-hat. The better way to tie the FIH that also cures the length problem is the double wrap FIH. Just do an additional twist during the tying process and shave off a few inches from the small end.

Double FIH is very 2007.

7. QBNCGAR

QBNCGAR Well-Known Member

Kinda funny...I do a double four-in-hand and I barely have anything left of the short end of my tie. Of course I'm 6' 5".

Even for a short guy, that knot takes up a bunch of material. Plus it looks cool (at least I think so).

8. AxlJack

AxlJack Senior member

Ummmm.....

Im sorry but maybe this is getting way too complicated than it should be. There are two ways to fix this:

[​IMG]

I just had to make this on paint... it was getting too ridiculous......

You can do both as well

9. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

Ummmm.....

Im sorry but maybe this is getting way too complicated than it should be. There are two ways to fix this:

[​IMG]

I just had to make this on paint... it was getting too ridiculous......

You can do both as well

I can't make any damn sense of the diagram to the right (side view).

Maybe this is why I never went into engineering.

10. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

wtf is going on here? People are actually saying it's okay to tuck a tie into your pants? Don't do that! Crazy stuff...

11. softy

softy Senior member

I can't make any damn sense of the diagram to the right (side view).

Maybe this is why I never went into engineering.

I misunderstood and thought all along that the OP's front blade was too long. If the back blade is hanging below, clearly he is doing something grossly wrong. OTOH, tucking the back blade is not hyper-egregious. I thought the point at issue was tucking the front of the fie.

I think the picture on the right is of a turbine.

12. AxlJack

AxlJack Senior member

I misunderstood and thought all along that the OP's front blade was too long.

lol i didnt even think about that when I read the OPs statement...... well if thats the case my solution wont work .....[​IMG]

13. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Why not just send them to TieCrafters to have them shortened? They're ridiculously cheap. Just stress to them that you don't want the tie cleaned or pressed; otherwise they may ruin your ties.

14. AxlJack

AxlJack Senior member

Cut the fucking back end MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA [​IMG]