• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vets: Did military service effect your sense of style?

austerlitz

Reaction score
Hoaaah Chef Ranger
worship.gif

Originally Posted by Grayland
Army, 1/75 Ranger (Airborne) from 82-85

I'm a chef-instructor now and I take my culinary uniform very seriously as well, and I expect my students to do the same.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by graphite
lulz "those damn patrols caps." if you were a soldier any more than just a cadet you'd know that the transition from patrol caps to the berets was the worst goddam thing the army ever did, ever. they should give the beret back to the rangers and let everyone else the practical headgear.

but berets just look so much better.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by austerlitz
Hoaaah Chef Ranger
worship.gif

I don't really keep up with my old military buddies, but if I did, they'd give me **** for being a chef.
laugh.gif

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by graphite
lulz "those damn patrols caps." if you were a soldier any more than just a cadet you'd know that the transition from patrol caps to the berets was the worst goddam thing the army ever did, ever. they should give the beret back to the rangers and let everyone else the practical headgear.also oakley boots suck and wear out in about a year. they were pretty flashy though, and comfortable. but for the $$ and the longevity, not worth it.

Who in the hell wants to be everyone else? That's only for the people who can't be special.

USAF - 1

Reaction score
Not necessarily a sense of style, but attention to detail and the proper fit and tailoring of clothes. Having your shirts tailored and fitted translates to the civilian world quite well. Same goes with suits. and of course shoes, keeping them serviceable and polished is another trademark.

the.chikor

Reaction score
Yes. Old habits die hard. I still spit shine my low quarters and polish the welt and outside of the soles. My shirts, suits and ties are well kept, clean, void of stains and pressed. I still check my gig line everyday out of habit prior to leaving for work. I tend to be a perfectionist and am very attention to detail oriented when having clothing altered or made. I also feel very uncomfortable wearing ties that hang down below the belt buckle. My style tends to be very conservative as well-although I am not entirely sure that it came from solely being in the service.

austerlitz

Reaction score
that beret vs patrol cap issue has been well, an issue.... I just find it annoying to have to carry around 4 different types of headwear....

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find myself adding in little 'things' to my everyday wardrobe to set myself apart (although on SF these things would be considered 'normal', I guess) that comes from how I wear my uniform (I like to do little things here and there to add some individuality).

I usually let my sideburns grow a little longer then what the sergeant-major would like and my hair is always borderline for giving the senior NCOs a heart-attack.

As far as other habits transferring over....not really. I never make my bed and I don't obsessively iron my casual clothing.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
but berets just look so much better.

Berets look a thousand times better than the hideous dorky c$&t cap that the British military phased out in the fifties ... as long as they are worn as berets. But somehow the US military allows the beret to be shrunk down into what amounts to a felt beanie with a bit of a peak for the cap badge which looks as bad or worse than a c$&t cap.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marine aviator 83-89.

1. I keep my hair fairly short still.
2. No loose threads. Irish pennants is the non PC term.
3. Good brush shine. Spit shine looks like stupidity to me.
4. Semi-obsessive about gig line being straight.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just as long as you don't refer to a shirt as a blouse and a hat as a cover!

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It reinforced my disdain for synthetic fabrics.

kasakka

Reaction score
It made me hate camo, military boots and having to follow downright idiotic orders. Hair that's anything between the army 2-3mm and normal "somewhat long at the top" I nowadays have looks like crap on my head.

At least my shoes tend to be well polished.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
No, but it improved vastly my ironing skills - try to keep creases sharp on a winter felt uniform (old Warsaw Pact style). As my battalion XO said when I was leaving service "Teacher, you are one of the few men that looks better in civilian clothes than in an uniform"!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads