• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vets: Did military service effect your sense of style?

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by graphite
they should give the beret back to the rangers

Not to mention these:

IMG_5990.jpg

IMG_5985.jpg

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to say no but reflecting on the question it occurred to me that I shine my shoes religiously, iron my shirts, I like everything tucked in and squared away and I keep my hair reasonably short.

Fecking infantry ruined me.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was never in the military, but I did mess around in the RAF cadets for a while (we had to do it at school, and I have to say I was pretty glad when we could opt out and do other things in the 6th form). I was too young (not to mention largely unenthused by it) for it to influence my style in any significant way... though it has to be said that I do spit-shine my toe caps, so maybe something stuck after all.

In hindsight, I realise I enjoyed the experience more than I knew at the time. Funny, that.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it's interesting how different the different military experiences can be. the whole thing about threads is new to me - all of my uniforms were ratty, including the dress uniforms. I got two sets of dress uniforms when I got in, and that was it, so by the time I got out they were pretty faded and ratty. as to field uniforms - for most of my service I would be in the field for 3 weeks at a time, and then go home for the weekend, so mostly all the 3-4 sets of uniforms that I had would be dirty within 2-4 days, and the rest of the time I would be wearing dirty clothes. aside from for a couple of ceremonies, I never ironed any clothing.

I pretty much never wear green anymore, and now I wear longish hair (although for almost 20 years after the army I always wore my hair very short). I don't wear brown shoes (My boots were "red" - oxblood).

HERCULES

Reaction score
1. My shoes are always shined. I will always do this myself. I will never pay to have my shoes shined.
2. I always shave.
3. No hats inside.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HERCULES
2. I always shave.

I'm surprised I forgot this one. I can't even consider leaving the house unshaven.

Blamm

Reaction score
- military emphasized fit and attention to detail (at least for dress uniforms)
- clearly translates to how I dress today
- shoes always shined (I keep a shine box at work - people stop by daily to shine their shoes - nice social interaction)
- laces always tucked into my shoes
- little to no break on my pants
- hair trimmed and clean shaven

It's interesting - I let myself get a bit sloppy after I left the Army in '99 - loose fitting shirts (L, XL sizing) and no tailoring on pants (usually a little long at the cuff). Starting paying more attention as I progressed at work - then got much more precise after I started visiting SF. On a good path now - learn a little something every day - and try to share a little with those around me w/out being an arse

the.chikor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
I'm surprised I forgot this one. I can't even consider leaving the house unshaven.
That's right-isn't that funny how we all retain this habit. Except for Saturday and Sunday-aka "no shave day."
happy.gif

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
Army, 1/75 Ranger (Airborne) from 82-85

1) Never got over the short hair thing. Still get a haircut every 2 weeks although it was weekly in the military.
2) Clean, shined shoes always.
3) Crisp ironed shirts
4) No threads hanging off of clothing. I cut them off now, but we burned them off with a lighter back then.
5) We had 14 pairs of BDU's issued. 7 for the field and 7 for the barracks. The barracks versions had all but one of the pockets on the shirt sewn closed and the cargo pockets were sewn closed as well. The idea was that they would look very clean when heavily starched (which was done free at the base).
6) We shaved the extra "fuzz" off our berets and shaped them just right. Back in those days, only those in the Ranger Battalions wore black berets. Later on, in an effort to make the regular troops look better (and boost morale), the Pentagon gave black berets to all of the regular troops and gave tan berets to the Rangers.
7) Our field caps (we were made to wear Kevlar helmets about 1984) were creased just right.

I'm a chef-instructor now and I take my culinary uniform very seriously as well, and I expect my students to do the same.

Casey Ryback?

mikevienna

Reaction score
I joined the navy at 18. The navy taught me how to iron, sew, shine my shoes and shave perfectly (without taking all day to do it). It also taught me about posture and gave me a reason to wear bell-bottomed trousers on a daily basis long after the 1970's ended
biggrin.gif

Now I can't go a day without polishing my shoes or shaving or checking my clothes for Irish pennants and the brassware in my house is fantastically polished weekly
smile.gif
(I'm not sure if that's good or bad)
plain.gif

mdao63

Reaction score
Used to have 2 types of clothing, military and para-military. After retirement, SF helped me to learn how to dress. These days, hair is longer than the high and tight, and I have the BB no-iron shirts.
However, still spit shine my own shoes. I now have more shoes than Imelda Marcos.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IronRock

Reaction score
Ok I'm biased but this is pretty damned smart.

Mess dress:

5686692626_449acf38ae.jpg

Our Colonel-in-Chief Prince Charles in No. 1s:

5686125393_bc200127ea.jpg

Our service dress is pretty bad-ass too but can't find a picture on the web at the moment.

Basically my uniforms turned a pretty average looking dude in to a peacock. Has this effected my post-military sense of style - absolutely.

On top of the shiny shoes, polished brass, lint removal and general upkeep of all my attire, I am now happy to stand out from the crowd with what I wear, and I am pretty sure this goes for anyone who served, whatever their country or arm of service. Great times.

hoog

Reaction score
For me my time in the military and abroad absolutely had an effect. I developed a more reserved sense of style. Even after I got out I kept a short hairstyle and a reserved "tight" appearance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads