1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vets: Did military service effect your sense of style?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gladhands, Apr 28, 2011.

1. mdao63

mdao63 Well-Known Member

Used to have 2 types of clothing, military and para-military. After retirement, SF helped me to learn how to dress. These days, hair is longer than the high and tight, and I have the BB no-iron shirts.
    However, still spit shine my own shoes. I now have more shoes than Imelda Marcos.

2. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Best thread I have read in at least a year. Keep it coming.

3. IronRock

IronRock Senior member

Ok I'm biased but this is pretty damned smart.

Mess dress:

[​IMG]

Our Colonel-in-Chief Prince Charles in No. 1s:

[​IMG]

Our service dress is pretty bad-ass too but can't find a picture on the web at the moment.

Basically my uniforms turned a pretty average looking dude in to a peacock. Has this effected my post-military sense of style - absolutely.

On top of the shiny shoes, polished brass, lint removal and general upkeep of all my attire, I am now happy to stand out from the crowd with what I wear, and I am pretty sure this goes for anyone who served, whatever their country or arm of service. Great times.

4. hoog

hoog New Member

For me my time in the military and abroad absolutely had an effect. I developed a more reserved sense of style. Even after I got out I kept a short hairstyle and a reserved "tight" appearance.

5. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

Casey Ryback?

Good one. That cracked me up.

6. hangthree

hangthree Senior member

Not to mention these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

nice. my dad was in the 8th SF group. although his beret did not have a camo liner....

7. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

Militatary service also made me appreciate slim-fit trousers. Even as New York raised hip-hop kid who wore jeans off his ass, I couldn't stand the way baggy BDU trousers looked.

8. graphite

graphite Senior member

Who in the hell wants to be everyone else? That's only for the people who can't be special.

right but when everyone else wears the beret, then the beret is no longer special. because everyone has it.

the policy of giving the black beret to regular army has effectively devalued the meaning of beret overall.

i don't think it looks better, either. but that's just my taste. not practical and looks silly. probably b/c the greater majority of soldiers (i would say myself included) don't put the effort into wearing it properly.

the beret thing is a dead horse though. i digressed from the topic and will leave you all to your opinions.

9. Patek

Patek Senior member

I still shine my shoes every Sunday night and iron my "uniform" (actually dress shirts). I still use starch on my shirts--just now without the crease.

I absolutely dispise it when people wear hats indoors--especially at the table.

10. Stratoknaster

Stratoknaster Member

Currently serving and and it has definitely made me aim for a higher daily standard in dress and appearance. It has also opened up a third option for evening activities as I can take my mess dress to most black and white tie events. At last, transferring into the army after two years in the navy has made me appreciate the feeling of wearing a good looking suit as the look and fit of the army service dress is terrible. [​IMG]

11. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I did my time in the Marine Corps and spent about a year of it in a job where I had to wear civilian clothing almost exclusively and we were required to adhere very strictly to certain guidelines. To this day, I never leave the house without a collared shirt and the shirt being tucked in. If my pants or shorts have belt loops, I'm definitely wearing a belt. And I cannot stand loose threads on any of my clothing. I even still fold my t-shirts, underwear, and socks to the regulation sizes.

I also now keep my hair cut with a traditional Marine Corps "high and tight" even though I absolutely NEVER had a high and tight when I was actually serving... odd.