• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grad School Thread

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
state schools are cheap dude. i pay something like $4700 in tuition a semester.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
state schools are cheap dude. i pay something like $4700 in tuition a semester.

This. Most state schools are roughly the same price... 5-8k a year in tuition. The big flagship U's (UC's, UVA, Michigan, etc...) are around 10-12k in tuition.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I paid a little over $20K/yr at Ohio State, but I was OOS. I think they charge $10K for in-state.

Almost went to U. of Maryland. IIRC, they had pretty cheap in-state tuition.

vaalbara

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I paid a little over $20K/yr at Ohio State, but I was OOS. I think they charge $10K for in-state.

Almost went to U. of Maryland. IIRC, they had pretty cheap in-state tuition.

it's getting pretty pricy now - i pay roughly ~18,000 a year for in-state tuition and out of state is basically like going to a private school now. iirc, my OOS roommate last year was paying like 45k a year

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vaalbara
it's getting pretty pricy now - i pay roughly ~18,000 a year for in-state tuition and out of state is basically like going to a private school now. iirc, my OOS roommate last year was paying like 45k a year
I think that's with room and board though, right?

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vaalbara

Who would pay that much for UG? It's ridiculous.

limester816

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with sociology PhD programs? I'm a rising senior at Boston College, starting to get my list of places to apply to. I have a special interest in Environmental Sociology, Social Theory, and Civic Sociology. So far, Berkeley, Wisconsin-Madison, and U Washington have piqued my interest-- but UC Santa Cruz and Washington State also seem to have good environmental programs.

brimley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by limester816
Anyone have experience with sociology PhD programs? I'm a rising senior at Boston College, starting to get my list of places to apply to. I have a special interest in Environmental Sociology, Social Theory, and Civic Sociology. So far, Berkeley, Wisconsin-Madison, and U Washington have piqued my interest-- but UC Santa Cruz and Washington State also seem to have good environmental programs.

Don't know about the quality of the sociology program but UWM is a great place to live for grad school.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took the GRE this morning!! Did OKish but was honestly hoping/expecting a tad better: 740Q 550V and between a 4.5 and a 5.5 on the essays but in my estimation a 5.

I was actually really rushed finishing the math section and had 10 questions with only 10 mins to do them :crazy:. There were probably 3 that I 'guessed' on (and likely missed), which is more than I had seen on any practice test. Whatever. Didn't study any of the vocab lol and looked at recommended essay formats the night before. For my econ grad program the quant is the only score that matters as long as you don't completely bomb the verbal. Glad this damn test is out of the way so I can focus on my cal and linear equations classes. Anticipated start date is 08/2012

75% sure I'm gonna stay in Texas for in-state tuition so my legit options are UH (blah fallback), A&M (OBNOXIOUS and I'm not a big fan of C-Stat maybe that could change?), and the dark horse school UT Dallas (exciting program which is rising fast in ranks!). They're all cheap as balls so that's a plus

Btw if anyone is a letter of recommendation or two short, I would advise you to speak with a prof in your field from a local university (community college in my case) and offer your services as a tutor. I'm doing it free (see LoR [hopefully]) for a few hours a week for intro econ classes. Works well to show the prof you know your **** and are involved with the college. Also, if you've never been a tutor before, it can be rewarding helping students learn and ****. Don't bang your pupils though

Last edited:

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I took the GRE this morning!! Did OKish but was honestly hoping/expecting a tad better: 740Q 550V and between a 4.5 and a 5.5 on the essays but in my estimation a 5.

I was actually really rushed finishing the math section and had 10 questions with only 10 mins to do them :crazy:. There were probably 3 that I 'guessed' on (and likely missed), which is more than I had seen on any practice test. Whatever. Didn't study any of the vocab lol and looked at recommended essay formats the night before. For my econ grad program the quant is the only score that matters as long as you don't completely bomb the verbal. Glad this damn test is out of the way so I can focus on my cal and linear equations classes. Anticipated start date is 08/2012

75% sure I'm gonna stay in Texas for in-state tuition so my legit options are UH (blah fallback), A&M (OBNOXIOUS and I'm not a big fan of C-Stat maybe that could change?), and the dark horse school UT Dallas (exciting program which is rising fast in ranks!). They're all cheap as balls so that's a plus

Btw if anyone is a letter of recommendation or two short, I would advise you to speak with a prof in your field from a local university (community college in my case) and offer your services as a tutor. I'm doing it free (see LoR [hopefully]) for a few hours a week for intro econ classes. Works well to show the prof you know your **** and are involved with the college. Also, if you've never been a tutor before, it can be rewarding helping students learn and ****. Don't bang your pupils though

I know nothing of the UTD econ program. However, UTD is working on being fully classified as a Tier 1 university and is willing to be aggressive and helpful. I'm working on my physics PhD here and they've bent over backwards for me - both at the department and at the university level. The usual bull is the usual bull, but the bureaucracy is manageable. It's a worth while school.

TheGoodLife

Reaction score
Im currently about to start my senior year of undergraduate studies with a double major in English and Business Administration with a focus in marketing. I will graduate with no student loans and I also have to opportunity to attend the universities masters program for free. My plans are to get my masters in health administration and hopefully run a hospital someday. I am wondering if I should take advantage of the free education from a university that is ranked over 250 or pay for a top 10 ranked program?

Thanks for any help!

tkfriend

Reaction score
Hey!

I'm a soon to be senior at a university about to graduate with a degree in economics. Along with my degree I've taken a ton of math classes and have always been interested in engineering, so i feel like i have made a mistake by not majoring in it. so here is my dilemma:

stay at my university for 3 more years( taking a total of 6 years to graduate) and get a degree in electrical engineering( essentially having a double major with econ).The issue here is i prefer not to remain at my school after coming so close to graduating. Although i will get financial aid, i will be taking out 4k in loans a year IF my parents still help me.

or

Take as many math and science classes i can by the time i graduate. Apply for a masters in electrical engineering somewhere and make up deficiency electrical engineering courses before i begin the actual masters. The issue here is that it will probably all be unfunded.

the math and science classes i will have by the time i graduate are: Calculus 1-3( includes multi-variable),linear algebra, differential equations, and Physics 1-2( mechanics and electricity), and a calculus based probability course. Also, i am currently 10k in debt.

thanks!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thegoodlife, since you will be graduating university debt free, it may be a good idea to pay to attend a more prestigious graduate program. Do you know what kind of graduate program you want to attend? Do you have an idea what you want to pursue career wise? Are you going to work some before attending a graduate program? If you're going to work (which most career minded people recommend) no need worrying too much about where to apply yet. In the meantime, contact career services to get a list of companies that recruit out of your school's graduate programs career fairs. Take a look at your alumni network to see what kind of jobs people from your school have landed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads