• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grad School Thread

TheGoodLife

Reaction score

Thegoodlife, since you will be graduating university debt free, it may be a good idea to pay to attend a more prestigious graduate program. Do you know what kind of graduate program you want to attend? Do you have an idea what you want to pursue career wise? Are you going to work some before attending a graduate program? If you're going to work (which most career minded people recommend) no need worrying too much about where to apply yet. In the meantime, contact career services to get a list of companies that recruit out of your school's graduate programs career fairs. Take a look at your alumni network to see what kind of jobs people from your school have landed.

Thank you for your response. I would like to work in upper management in a hospital setting (someday a CEO of a hospital) . I was debating between and Masters in health administration or a Masters in business Administration with a specialization in Health Administration. The school I attend only offers the MBA so I was thinking about attending that right out of undergrad (taking advantage of the free education) and then working in the city I choose then attending a highly ranked MHA program a few years down the line. How do you think this sounds? you seem knowledgeable in this area.

I appreciate your help

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for your response. I would like to work in upper management in a hospital setting (someday a CEO of a hospital) . I was debating between and Masters in health administration or a Masters in business Administration with a specialization in Health Administration. The school I attend only offers the MBA so I was thinking about attending that right out of undergrad (taking advantage of the free education) and then working in the city I choose then attending a highly ranked MHA program a few years down the line. How do you think this sounds? you seem knowledgeable in this area.

I appreciate your help

Ok, I'm not an expert, but based on Jodum's posting history idk if he works in this area in the first place either (I admit could be corrected).

You're missing any sort of real world experience in this equation. More school doesn't always solve your problems unless you have direction and progression. Getting an MBA out of the gate of undergrad for the sake of getting it can be more detrimental (then you lose the ability to get one when ready).

Have you done any sort of real work at a hospital. Hell, have you even done any sort of intern work?

Have you ever tried to connect with someone who actually works in hospital management in IRL and talked to them?

So far your posts read as if your hoping school will be a crutch to avoid entry level work.

Last edited:

inq89

Reaction score

I appreciate your help

I could be wrong, but to be a CEO of a hospital or at least a large sized hospital, you'd probably need a medical related degree and background as well (MD, PharmD, RN, etc).

streffert

Reaction score

I appreciate your help

I could be wrong, but to be a CEO of a hospital or at least a large sized hospital, you'd probably need a medical related degree and background as well (MD, PharmD, RN, etc).

My best buddy is the CFO of a hospital with a biz admin bachelors degree, he is actually taking online courses now for his masters. He is 30, and went to a small state school I'n ND.

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I definitely do not work in Hospital Administration. I also will only start graduate school (part time) in the fall. However, I'm just trying to help him get his head right in weighing these kinds of options. It's hard to say whether paying ~ $100K to attend say a top 50 school is much better than attending his school cost free. On paper, I'd go with the former but I don't have first hand experience to definitively say that - hence looking into his alumni network. If there seem to be a lot of graduates with great gigs and the career fairs attract a lot of companies then I don't see a problem with his current school. However, in my experience I definitely agree that work for a few years before going to graduate school.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads