• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grad School Thread

vaalbara

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brimley
Obviously this is field specific, but generally don't plan on getting an MS in physical sciences unless it's chem or engineering. Also, if you take time off for backpacking, you'd better be a badass applicant. Breaks in education/research are frowned on.

If you're a sophomore, I strongly recommend you get into a summer research program., so you can figure out if you enjoy this and also to help your application.

everyone i've spoken to (including my advisor) has recommended at least a master's degree for jobs beyond entry level positions. why are phys science majors generally advised not to get a MS?

also, i'm currently working in a research lab for a professor right now, and i've got a summer internship up at woods hole, working under the recently nominated chief scientist of the NOAA

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
vaalbra just from a lifestyle perspective i would NEVER want to stay in college park for another 4-6 years..

vaalbara

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
vaalbra just from a lifestyle perspective i would NEVER want to stay in college park for another 4-6 years..

tell me something i don't know lol - the school is nice and all, but i've been in maryland all my life and there ain't no good bars in the area unless i go down to dc

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vaalbara
i know that most of this thread is about humanities/soc science grad degrees, but here goes anyways.

i'm an undergraduate (sophomore, so i've got a while to go) geology major @ the university of maryland, and it's getting to the point where i should probably have some idea of what i want to do with my life. all i know right is that i'm 99.5% sure i'm going for at least a master's, maybe a phd. UMD has a strong geology program (rated #7 nationwide for geochemistry, my concentration), but i'd like to go out of state, maybe even abroad for graduate studies. here's what i'm currently contemplating, future wise:

A) apply to grad school straight outta undergrad, hopefully get into a top school (with funding!!) and stay there for my MS and my PhD, then go into research

B) go to grad school for just my MS, then go into industry, maybe come back for a PhD later

C) **** everything, and backpack abroad for a few years after graduation

for someone with background in any of this, what would my employment prospects look like if i graduate from UMD and get a master's at somewhere decent?

EDIT: i should probably that my interests lay in environmental geochemistry - nutrient flux into coastal watersheds, oceanic responses to climate change, etc

I'm not a geologist, but one of my roommates in undergrad was. He ended up getting his PhD. Last I heard he had been getting shot at while doing field studies in Central Asia.

My understanding is that geo is similar to the other sciences, people don't usually do BS---MS---PhD. You just go straight into a PhD program out of undergrad, skip the masters step.

Doing MS, then work, then PhD doesn't usually happen for most people. Once you're in "work mode," going back into research is not easy. Big drop in pay, change in mindset, all that noise. Some people do it, but most people who successful navigate the PhD do it straight out of undergrad.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
everyone i've spoken to (including my advisor) has recommended at least a master's degree for jobs beyond entry level positions. why are phys science majors generally advised not to get a MS?

Master's degrees in the sciences are very commonly viewed as consolation prizes for people who can't hack a PhD. True or not, that's the perception and it really reduces the economic value of the masters.

vaalbara

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
Master's degrees in the sciences are very commonly viewed as consolation prizes for people who can't hack a PhD. True or not, that's the perception and it really reduces the economic value of the masters.
hmm, i've never heard of this before. this holds true even if i don't intend to go into research? i know that a lot of geol grad students here are only doing their masters (at least for now), and then going into the workforce.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hmm, i've never heard of this before. this holds true even if i don't intend to go into research? i know that a lot of geol grad students here are only doing their masters (at least for now), and then going into the workforce.
If you continue on to get the PhD, doing a masters first won't hurt you aside from wasted time. Point is more than a masters is not as economically beneficial as you might think, simply because of that perception issue. I've seen very good masters students, and fairly bad ones who were basically given a MS to go away because they couldn't hack the PhD. It does apply in industry too, because they can't tell directly if you're on of the good MS students or one of the bad ones. I don't know if this is the case for geology though.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DaveB
I'm having second thoughts about not getting the MBA but figure after getting solid work-exp if I want to get one I can go to a much better school than I could now. Sorry for the long post but basically do you think I made the right decision going the masters in accounting rather than the 4+1 MBA route? 4+1 could also be at a state school so it would only cost a few grand more but the schools it would be from would have less of a reputation with public firms in the area than the school I am getting the masters in accounting from.

You made the right decision and are showing wisdom beyond your years. Also, who knows, maybe you'll go back and get a PhD in accounting instead of an MBA
shog[1].gif

Originally Posted by Connemara
SUNY's biggest plus: one of the cheapest, maybe THE cheapest, in-state tuition in the country.

No.

DaveB

Reaction score
No? I think it's around $15K a year for tuition and fees these days. I thought that was definitely on the low end.
For undergrad in state tuition its a little over 6 grand, out of state a little over 14k, and everyone complains about them raising tuition about 500 dollars per semester due to budget cuts.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No? I think it's around $15K a year for tuition and fees these days. I thought that was definitely on the low end.

On the high end if anything. Virginia schools are around $12k/year. In Georgia, it's around 9k/year.

I know New Jersey is always crazy high.

DaveB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
On the high end if anything. Virginia schools are around $12k/year. In Georgia, it's around 9k/year.

I know New Jersey is always crazy high.

If those are for in-state students there 50-100% more than SUNY.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What school in NY? I went to a private college in New York and got my business administration degree this past december. I was considering going back to get my masters in accounting as well and trying to do the CPA route. My overall plan would be to make enough money during tax season so that I could work part time during the rest of the year. Kind of facing the same dilemma as you though. I have a lot of friends that did the 4+1 route and I sometimes regret not doing that, but I also wanted to get my MBA from a better school. I'm working as an accountant now. Can't say I love it, but it's a great experience and I could put up with it if I got my CPA.

Did I make the right decision? I'm graduating this May in an undergraduate in accounting, i live in New York State so I need 150 hrs for CPA and the public firms wont hire you unless you have a plan to get them. I decided to get a Master in Accounting at my undergraduate school, basically a worhtless degree other than qualifying me for my CPA. My goal is CPA, big 4 then figure out what I like from there. My school is public so the masters is only costing me 10k which I have saved up so I will graduate debt free.

Many of my classmates are choosing to get there MBA's in 4+1 programs (not top 40s) or getting there MBAs from a local private school top 30 that costs 45k a year.

I choose the master in accountancy because I thought it was the best option to get where I want to go (big4) and my school has a good reputation in the area (where I want to work) placing the most graduates in any of the local big4 offices. I had a few second interviews for internships in my undergrad so i'm hoping next year goes a little better and I get the offer. I figured if I got the MBA from a non top-20 with no work exp it wouldn't open up any better opportunities that big 4 exp would, I genuinely find accounting interesting so the prospect of staying in it is not something I am dreading.

I'm having second thoughts about not getting the MBA but figure after getting solid work-exp if I want to get one I can go to a much better school than I could now. Sorry for the long post but basically do you think I made the right decision going the masters in accounting rather than the 4+1 MBA route? 4+1 could also be at a state school so it would only cost a few grand more but the schools it would be from would have less of a reputation with public firms in the area than the school I am getting the masters in accounting from.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For undergrad in state tuition its a little over 6 grand, out of state a little over 14k, and everyone complains about them raising tuition about 500 dollars per semester due to budget cuts.
Holy ****, I thought 15K was tuition only! But that is a rough number for tuition + room and board. That's a real bargain. SUNY schools are not well-known outside of NY and the Northeast, but for many people it's a good option at a good price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics