• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Creepy Sartorial Images

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Both my granddad and my father have the Legion d'Honneur for military service and I wouldn't dream wearing them ...

So when they die their medals are put in a drawer somewhere and passed on for a couple more generations then wind up on eBay, while the memory if their sacrifice/service/bravery fades away in time?
I had a strained relationship with my old fella and he died when I was 18. I can't be sure, but I'd like to think that if he was 'looking down' and saw me marching up Whitehall as a non service member in civilian clothes with his medals on my right side, he would be proud to know the kid turned out OK in the end!

AE7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
So when they die their medals are put in a drawer somewhere and passed on for a couple more generations then wind up on eBay, while the memory if their sacrifice/service/bravery fades away in time?
I had a strained relationship with my old fella and he died when I was 18. I can't be sure, but I'd like to think that if he was 'looking down' and saw me marching up Whitehall as a non service member in civilian clothes with his medals on my right side, he would be proud to know the kid turned out OK in the end!

It depends on the way you raise your kids. You can turn them in into local museum.

It is OK if this kid is 10, but a guy at the same age his dad or grandpa actually got the medal? Its fucked up.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard of a recent trend for wearing a deceased veteran family member's medals on the right chest and I quite like that idea. I would love to one day march in a Remembrance Day parade in memory of my Dad. Anyone who looks closely should see I am way too young to have earned WW2 campaign medals anyway.

As a fashion accessory? Noooooooo!

When I challenged the guy, he didn't even know it was Remembrance Day...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
When I challenged the guy, he didn't even know it was Remembrance Day...

Why it isn't a bank holiday to start with?

Everything is about money all the time...

The 11th of November must be a day of reflexion...

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AE7
It depends on the way you raise your kids. You can turn them in into local museum.

It is OK if this kid is 10, but a guy at the same age his dad or grandpa actually got the medal? Its fucked up.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. As there are fewer and fewer veterans of WW2 and the last WW1 vet recently died, I think it's a nice way to remember the service of your antecends which as the previous post shows, seems to be increasingly necessary these days. Either way as I live over here now it won't be happening any time soon. Maybe they'll instigate a section for families to march in if they dont already do this, so no-one need worry about being mistaken for a wannabe vet.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. As there are fewer and fewer veterans of WW2 and the last WW1 vet recently died, I think it's a nice way to remember the service of your antecends which as the previous post shows, seems to be increasingly necessary these days. Either way as I live over here now it won't be happening any time soon. Maybe they'll instigate a section for families to march in if they dont already do this, so no-one need worry about being mistaken for a wannabe vet.

It is their stories, their sacrifices....

You can show your respect by helping people to remember what they went though...

I have a knowlege of Verdun and the Chemin des dames thanks to my Granddad who fought and nearly died there..

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
WTF with the guy on the right?

Trying on riding boots? Or is that the way he usually dresses:
A conservative suit coat, cufflinks, skinny jeans, etc.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AE7
Wearing a real medal belonging to someone else as a fashion accessory is a sacrilege.

My grandfather beat the **** out of someone wearing medals that weren't his.
Ralph was pushing 70 at the time.

I guess it was quite the scene.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some old medals. Maybe I should go pull them out of storage...

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^Ralph has gone to the great WWII battlefield in the sky. He was a racist mf-er, but he believed in God, the John Birch Society and the United States of America.

He disarmed a convenience store robber/murderer one morning and didn't think it was a big enough deal to even phone any of us. I read about it in the USA Today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads