• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quest for men's long sleeve SOFTEST shirts

Aronia

Reaction score
I’m surprised that Aronia asks SF opinion about such a subjective as “softness”. One man’s softness is another’s brutalist concrete. The only way is to try it on and return it. Have you purchased such an item before? Your choices for this item span the globe and with your description it seems like you may be fishing for something here. Dunno. Just seems like such a sophisticated question for such a simple and widely available garment. Try UNIQLO or any of the above suggestions if you’re truly stumped. Bonne chance!

Greetings! Having sensitive skin has been challenging when it comes to shirts. Pants/leggings are not a problem but the upper body is a more difficult situation. A dermatologist once explained to me that through genetic variations some people have such sensitive skin that they can detect minor variations in variables such as fabric composition that affect skin temperature, galvonic skin response, etc. I'm not sure of all the neurological nuances but the end result is a totally subjective feeling of "soft," which as you suggest is relative to each individual. The suggestions here thus far have been helpful and I follow-up on every lead.

Aronia

Reaction score
Being of sensitive skin this quest is near and dear to me. Try banana republic Pima cotton shirts. Or goodwill shirts which have been washed 100x.

Greetings! Yes, I regularly visit a local Goodwill store but as of yet nothing has materialized. It seems that their selection has diminished since COVID-19. Thanks for your help. I will look into the Banana Republic pima cotton but it seems from my previous experience that a cotton/polyester combination has won the softness test more than anything that is 100% cotton.

Aronia

Reaction score
You might want to check out Faherty, specifically their "cloud" collection. I have one of the long sleeve shirts that is crazy soft and easy to care for.

I'm looking at Faherty collection now. I may order one of their shirts since they have a reasonable return policy. Until a shirt is felt it is all but impossible to determine if it meets the need.

jdgershbein

Reaction score
In pursuing the softest shirt, I have come across many contenders. Son of a Tailor -- both the cotton and merinos -- is a wardrobe staple.

My entry in this thread has to be VUORI.

I've been a big fan of this company since discovering them (c. 2014). The clothes are fantastic for working out and hanging out. They do a long-sleeved version of their Ponto Performance shirt; for my money (and my torso), it's the softest and most comfortable shirt imaginable. It is my go-to for slightly cooler weather running and makes a decent base layer on chilly days. And they are stylish enough to wear when running errands or going out for a bite.

Aronia

Reaction score
In pursuing the softest shirt, I have come across many contenders. Son of a Tailor -- both the cotton and merinos -- is a wardrobe staple.

My entry in this thread has to be VUORI.

I've been a big fan of this company since discovering them (c. 2014). The clothes are fantastic for working out and hanging out. They do a long-sleeved version of their Ponto Performance shirt; for my money (and my torso), it's the softest and most comfortable shirt imaginable. It is my go-to for slightly cooler weather running and makes a decent base layer on chilly days. And they are stylish enough to wear when running errands or going out for a bite.

Thanks for the additional information and detailed description. As I learn the industry nomenclature I've discovered that I'm looking for a long-sleeve shirt that is tissue weight, which suggests a sheer fabric that is almost translucent.

Aronia

Reaction score
You might want to check out Faherty, specifically their "cloud" collection. I have one of the long sleeve shirts that is crazy soft and easy to care for.

I received my first shirt from Faherty and it is sufficiently soft as to meet my criteria. I won't stop looking, however, because it will be best to have several sources and price points from which to build my wardrobe. Thanks again for your help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics