• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Pretty sure thats a diffusion line of CB, which really is just like a licence, and it made kind of crappy - just like the resale value. I remember seeing a 3 piece suit like that on B&S for like 250 for weeks before someone bought it after many drops. I think.

You look like Tom Cruise lol

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amadar
Anybody know anything about Gianfranco Ferre Couture suits? I've not heard much chatter about Ferre on SF. I passed a 6x2 DB the other day that appeared to be of very good quality, was definitely fully canvassed and nice material. Only thing that dated it was the lack of vents, but otherwise I would have picked it up.

The last I heard of him was from the early 90's. He was right up their with Armani and Versace back in the day. I still see things with his name on it but it's all cheap, licensed stuff. It may not look too dated at first glance but you need to pay careful attention to the amount of padding in the shoulders, how low is the lapel gorge, and the width of the pant legs.

Originally Posted by Xenos
I need that smiley face.

I passed on a Caraceni SC today, very soft wool, possibly cashmere, surgeon's cuffs, roped sleeveheads, double vents. Probably measures anywhere from a 42 to a 46. When I googled and eBayed "Caraceni" a few hours later, I flew back to the store but, of course, it was gone.

I bet no one can top that for stupidity! (Hey, if I can't brag about a purchase, I can brag about idiocy. At any rate, brag.)

cry.gif
facepalm.gif
censored.gif

The only thing big I've passed on were a couple of those notorious teddy bear Polo sweaters that you can apparently trade on eBay for a Corvette.

Originally Posted by mat135ta
I got a Chester Barrie 3 pc suit in my size minus its pants
frown.gif
I looked everywhere but could not find the pants. The suit is grey with very subtle windowpane pattern. Is there any way I can wear the jacket and vest without matching pants?

I also find another Chest Barrie sportcoat, made in US... I didn't know CB was made in US as well. Anyone has any idea?

If it's high quality then it might be worth it to wear it with a nice pair of contrasting slacks. The vest may also pair well with one of your other suits. I've also seen magazine spreads showing the guy dressed as if he's wearing the whole suit (tie, dress shoes, etc.) but he substituted a pair of jeans for the suit pants.

I think I had a relatively good day today.

Things I bought today, all in my size if not mentioned otherwise:

Two Alexander Julian bespoke suit with working button holes. They fit me as if they were made for me. They are made in US in 1989, but look quite modern.

A Gucci sportcoat, with ticket pocket.

Brioni blue DB blazer, slightly too large for me, but I think I could make it work.

The jacket and vest from a 3pc Chester Barrie suit, made in UK. Another CB sportcoat, made in US.

An Incotex wool pants in my size. A pair of very interesting Brioni pants with a 38" waist, for trade or sale.

One BBBF, one T&A, one Pal Zileri, two Zegna shirts, all in my size. One Marol shirt for my trading partner.

A Rubinacci and a Luciano Barbera tie, both very dated though.

One Tod's and one Magli loafers.

Things that I didn't buy: A tan Brioni suit for women in size 40 and a Brioni orphan suit jacket for women in size 14.

Lastly, I bought a bespoke TOMMY E GIULIO CARACENI pure cashmere sportcoat for a small fortune. According to SF, it should be better than Kiton. Unfortunately it is not in my size, but rather a size 44 or 46. I will put it in B&S later. If you have something exceptional to trade, let me know as well.

EPIC.
worship2.gif

Staatsoper

Reaction score
Lastly, I bought a bespoke TOMMY E GIULIO CARACENI pure cashmere sportcoat for a small fortune. According to SF, it should be better than Kiton. Unfortunately it is not in my size, but rather a size 44 or 46. I will put it in B&S later. If you have something exceptional to trade, let me know as well.

Tommy e Giulio? Man, can't keep all the squabbling Caraceni's straight. Hmmmm, thus need to obtain one of each to compare. Yeah, that's a plan.
eh.gif

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
What is the Sandy Bull like? Also, nice score on the Kinks LP. I've been looking for that one for awhile!

Its part improv acoustic picking i.e. John Fahey and part psychadelic improv stuff with an oud and other middle eastern instruments. And a 10 minute cover of Chuck Berry's Memphis,Tennessee which I'm loving.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably my best shoe find ever today, a pair of Alden for Brooks Brothers #8 shell wingtips. Size 9.5D... in pristine condition, stitching not worn down at all, insole all gold, all the paint on the eyeholes. Looks like an identical pair in worse shape went for $227 on the 'bay recently, so these will have to be sold or traded for something really nice, PM if interested!

First pair of Brooks Brothers shoes I've ever picked up in the wild, first Aldens in Columbus. Jkidd, you should reconsider moving here... stay in Cincy!
teacha.gif

I think the same guy donated a wide assortment of BB stuff, but nothing else worth picking up. There was a pair of BB *eyeglasses* - never seen those before, and would have picked them up for the hell of it, but the ends were all chewed up - literally. I did snap a photo of the most interesting polo, which was bright lime green with paisleys!
laugh.gif

IMG_20110417_160408.jpg

Staatsoper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guitar Preacher
Its part improv acoustic picking i.e. John Fahey and part psychadelic improv stuff with an oud and other middle eastern instruments. And a 10 minute cover of Chuck Berry's Memphis,Tennessee which I'm loving.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

If you gentlemen come across classical lp's, it's an area of expertise for me, so just ask. I mean, look at my avatar. Also, check the exhaustive www.popsike.com for realized eBay prices on all lp genres.

In fact, my thrift store days started with lp searches, then one day I was passing by the men's clothes at GW, noticed a nice-looking sportcoat...which turned out be a recent Oxxford cashmere, my size. And there was another. $12.99 each. The proverbial lightbulb over my head switched to "on."

datsunfan

Reaction score
Found a briefcase by American Valise & Leathergoods. Does anoyne know anything about the brand? I can't find much about it. It seems to be well made and is in excellent condition. Bought a solid charcoal Oxxford suit with flat front pants. When I got the Oxxford home I noticed that it had shine from wear on the sleeves and pants rear. I also came across a bunch of vintage fedoras, but they were all too small so I left them.

IMG_22121.jpg

IMG_22131.jpg

IMG_22141.jpg

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
Probably my best shoe find ever today, a pair of Alden for Brooks Brothers #8 shell wingtips. Size 9.5D... in pristine condition, stitching not worn down at all, insole all gold, all the paint on the eyeholes.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
On the weekend I bought a 100% cashmere, made in Italy, navy SB sports coat by Alfred Dunhill. It is in very good condition, has surgeon's cuffs and some very nice details (hand sewn button holes, beatiful smoked MOP buttons on the inside pockets, ticket pocket).

The only thing is it has very ornate, heavy brass buttons with the AD crest - four on each sleeve and two at the front. I mean they are beautiful things in their own way, but I am just not sure if it is me.

Anyway, for $40 I couldn't just leave it there.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a couple PMs regarding these shoes that have refered to them as croc. They weren't calling me out on listing them as alligator, just comments like: "beautiful pair of crocs", etc.

I'm no expert in exotics, but I thought they were alligator and was told they are alligator. Since I have them listed in B&S as alligator, I'd really like to know if I'm wrong so I can correct the listing. Any other opinions?

Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
A pretty nice find today. A very lightly worn pair of RL Polo Alligator penny loafers. I'm pretty sure retail on these was around 2 grand.

Poloalli.jpg

Xenos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Staatsoper
Tommy e Giulio? Man, can't keep all the squabbling Caraceni's straight. Hmmmm, thus need to obtain one of each to compare. Yeah, that's a plan.
eh.gif

After researching, I see there are different Caraceni labels. Among others, there's Sartoria Domenico Caraceni, the Milanese MTM label acquired by a former apprentice and Tommy e Giulio, Domenico's nephews who run a shop in Rome. The one I passed on was by Tommy e Giulio. Seems mat135ta may have picked it up, though, so at least it will be appreciated.

Staatsoper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
I've had a couple PMs regarding these shoes that have refered to them as croc. They weren't calling me out on listing them as alligator, just comments like: "beautiful pair of crocs", etc.

I'm no expert in exotics, but I thought they were alligator and was told they are alligator. Since I have them listed in B&S as alligator, I'd really like to know if I'm wrong so I can correct the listing. Any other opinions?

Yes, you've been most deceptive. That is obviously plesiosaur, as any child can see.
teacha.gif

canuckstyle

Reaction score
went to one off the best producing thrifts caouple days ago.
recently decided to try and make my clothing habit at least self supporting. so i picked up a Kiton DB suit

took a quick pic of the jacket. it is actually brown and in really nice shape.
does this have potential to flip?
also a Brioni SC sorry no pics it at the cleaners.
and the tie dept was good to me too.

L-R zegna, harry rosen, robert talbott best of class
http://[IMG]http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j448/dlajoie/dscn1106.jpg[/IMG]
luigi borrelli napoli-zegna-enrico ricci

luciano barbera-enro-firenze-gianluca isaia

this one has a cool texture its made by ferre.

all these items are in great shape and are better in person , sorry for my crap photo taking.
most ties look unworn i think they are all good quality ties. in the past i would have just cherry picked 2-3 and left the rest.
hope i can sell some of these , because now i have way more ties than i need.

anyways since you guys have a good eye for this stuff tell me what you think.
and if you want anything here pm me

also picked up a midnight blue shawl collar tux jacket , that will be for flipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads