• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
yeah people complain about bb and context every so often

Who's complaining about Context? I think slack tide's mishap was the first time I've seen anyone with poor things to say about them.

Also, I saw the comments about Nicole Miller's interview and then read the one on BB's blog instead of the linked Q&A. Only after checking the linked interview did I realize what was going on. After reading the one on BB's blog, I thought, "****, these guys are nitpicking more than usual." By now that I've read the other interview, I'll toss my hat into "She sounds like a snob" circle.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
She sounds like someone who is out of touch with reality.

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
What happened to Julius expressing your inner self or whatever? Did your inner self change? RFT: Sometimes I want to dress in nothing but CdGH+
I've really been wanting to get more CdG stuff lately. Even found myself contemplating one of those skirts the other day.
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Actually, it would probably save a lot of people a sack of money if they just flew to NYC or LA during the beginning of a season (but after the stores are stocked), and just loaded up. Plane tickets and a cheap hotel for a couple of nights, in say, late September/early October, would probably run most people under $700, all told.
I know that it's not ideal time to be shopping for stuff at the beginning of the season, but this is partly why I'm heading out to NYC at the end of August/early September this year. Can't really stand shopping online too much any more. Boot-related: Really want to get those Augusta llama leather pull-on boots from Atelier, but I can't really afford at the moment. I'm contemplating selling my right kidney (I feel like I use this one less), please advise. Need to get a suit for a friend's upcoming wedding this summer. Without MC'ing out, what's considered "appropriate" in such a circumstance? Can I get away with black or just a dark grey? snake, your avatar is great.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
oh my god shut up

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
oh my god shut up

It's not the same thing dude. Let's have an actual discussion about something instead of descending into a bunch of drivel about sandals or some ****. You expressed an opinion, and I'm interested to hear you back it up. It'd be cool if stuff could actually be discussed here.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dwyhajlo
Need to get a suit for a friend's upcoming wedding this summer. Without MC'ing out, what's considered "appropriate" in such a circumstance? Can I get away with black or just a dark grey?

You can wear black if you want, no one will care, but you might get hot. Really any black,dark blue, or grey will be fine. White, dove grey, or beige may be fine too depending on the crowd. I'm on the lookout for a dove grey cotton suit right now and I advise you to do the same, really an underrated choice especially for weddings, etc. Again though it depends on the crowd and the tone of the wedding.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
"Basically goths in hot weather, like, covered up but in breathable fabrics."

I want to see what this looks like.

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
You can wear black if you want, no one will care, but you might get hot. Really any black,dark blue, or grey will be fine. White, dove grey, or beige may be fine too depending on the crowd. I'm on the lookout for a dove grey cotton suit right now and I advise you to do the same, really an underrated choice especially for weddings, etc. Again though it depends on the crowd and the tone of the wedding.

Sounds good, thanks for the advice.

It's actually going to be a very traditional Ukrainian Eastern Orthodox wedding, in the basilica and everything.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
I dunno, she sounds like someone who has a very clear, aggressive vision of what she likes and what her customers want. That seems pretty much perfect for owning a fashion boutique.

Originally Posted by jet
She sounds like someone who is out of touch with reality.

I think that she had a really good idea (a very engaging blog,) and then hit some high points. However, I think that she is fighting the tide right now. She's made some enemies, and she's trying to do her thing, which involves retail prices higher than the industry average. She lost one of her best employees, who really built the blog, as well as developed the rapport the store had with internet communities and blogs, (AFAIK, there is no bad blood, he just moved on). She also tends to be very outspoken, which can be refreshing or jarring, depending on where you stand. Right now, my read is that it's jarring to more people than it is refreshing.

Compounded with that fact is that she is not (she ever pretended to be a) Tommy Maxfield or an Alan Bilzerian type of tastemaker, so there is not really that much at her store that is really unique to it. Yes, Maxfield will charge a ridiculous amount for vintage LC luggage, but no one else will have it. Alan finds stuff that I've never seen, nor heard of, and I know I'm not going to find it unless I personally go to workshop in Italy I've never heard of. Blackbird is just not that caliber of store, so it's hard for her to fight the tide, and just charge whatever.

I visit Blackbird everytime I go to Seattle. However, the past few times I've been there, I haven't bought anything. About 2/3 of the store was stuff I didn't care for at all anyway. There was one Odyn Volk piece that I liked, but, Odyn Volk is carried by other retailers I like just as well (Acrimony in SF), and at significantly lower prices. All those factors made it hard to justify the purchase.

We'll see.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
something has happened. clicking go to last post doesn't take me to last post. i am lost

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Who's complaining about Context? I think slack tide's mishap was the first time I've seen anyone with poor things to say about them.

Also, I saw the comments about Nicole Miller's interview and then read the one on BB's blog instead of the linked Q&A. Only after checking the linked interview did I realize what was going on. After reading the one on BB's blog, I thought, "****, these guys are nitpicking more than usual." By now that I've read the other interview, I'll toss my hat into "She sounds like a snob" circle.

I'll add to this. I'm not Mr. PC by any means, but I got the same impression from that read. There's a way she could have expressed her disdain for warm weather concrete jungles and the over-abundance of conservative men's clothing, etc., while not throwing out a big "**** you" to consumers outside of Seattle and her own locally based customers who enjoy some more expensive button downs, chinos, US made shoes, from lines they can't find in their own fashion-less cities and local B&M stores, and have no where to turn other than e-commerce.

Take for instance Eunice Lee's (of Unis) response to that one anger laden post about how "overpriced" and "what's so special" counterpoint/argument over her pants compared to others mall brands, etc. She responded with some knowledge and legit reasons without being combative and snobby about her line.

After that BB read, this consumer will throw back that "**** you" by avoiding any future purchases. But by Nicole's response, I'm not "special, forward, or outside the box" enough for that store anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads