Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robin

robin Senior member

Re: Blackbird pricing, from another interview they just posted:

Many "other retailers" failed and closed up shop.

2. jet

jet Persian Bro

yes, pretty soon bb will be the only game in time bc of nicole's genius

sounds contrary to the south willard model that is thriving

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Re: Blackbird pricing, from another interview they just posted:

While I understand her point, Nicole is wrong. The vendors setting the pricing is actually one of the things protecting retailers, particularly B&M retailers like her, with high overhead costs. You take away that vendor control, and you will have a race towards the bottom, because of that dratting old internet thing, which ironically, is what made Blackbird so successful in the first place. Why do you think that online boutiques can have perpetual coupons? Why do you think internet only merchants can have lowest price guarantees? Why do you think on so many sites, you have to put things in your cart in order to see the real (lower than allowed to be advertised) price?

I know one of the vendors that has an issue with Nicole, and I suspect that this is this the main issue between them. She should understand that they are actually doing her a favor.

There are good models that allow retailers to do good business. You have to have truly exclusive product. Stuff that you are not going to be able to find elsewhere, whether it's because you get it made especially for your store (and stuff like Gitman's program does not work) or because you are great at finding the buried gem (see Alan Bilzerian.)

4. Binker

Binker Senior member

she should also probably be aware that while retail price maintenance is not against the law in the united states, horizontal price fixing (collusion among retailers) is

5. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

Can everybody please stop quoting Lane?

6. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

who the fuck is nicole miller? she seems childish. no offense but the interview is very playful.

7. Lane

Lane Senior member

Can everybody please stop quoting Lane?
    I'm not buying your leather anymore, meanie!

8. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

9. snake

snake Senior member

SZ is unbearable.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] what is it this time?

10. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

who the fuck is nicole miller? she seems childish. no offense but the interview is very playful.
    owner/buyer for blackbird. She's a very cool lady, that interview seemed strange Blackbird's a great store with great people working there, really feels part of the community in Ballard, which I think is a great thing

11. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

I can't say I know much about Japan's retail model, but I did notice that there was basically a set price for everything, and that price was consistent from retailer to retailer. If Bears, Americaya, and Hinoya Plus Mart all carried the same item, it would be the same price at each. I think this pretty much carried through to stuff like beer and sushi at convenience stores (at least in the parts of Tokyo, Kyoto, and Hiroshima I saw).

Is price fixing considered acceptable there? Is the MSRP considered law?

Also, I distinctly remember people kvetching about Blackbird's prices being a few clicks higher than comparable retailers with webshops out there a while back, so I'm not surprised to hear her side of the story on that.

12. DeadDJ

DeadDJ Senior member

That is an impressively shitty interview. I almost admire the hubris that oozes out of that short amount of text. And you know I'm an asshole - I just used the word hubris.

13. zissou

zissou Senior member

I'm giving up on the idea of the 'perfect fit'.

14. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

Also, I distinctly remember people kvetching about Blackbird's prices being a few clicks higher than comparable retailers with webshops out there a while back, so I'm not surprised to hear her side of the story on that.

yeah people complain about bb and context every so often

15. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Which is shit because context and bb aren't webstores like Revolve or bigger entities like Opening Ceremony, they're local stores that happen to have an online presence, and can't compete for pricing against those giants. I can't speak for Context, but bb sells more instore than online. People that shop there do so for the great staff and service, the ability to try stuff on locally, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.