Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

J.crew is really just J.crew, yet way overpriced.

2. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

"New York was really just J.Crew, yet way overpriced."

FINALLY SOMEONE SPEAKS THE TRUTH.

the funny thing is how much blackbird overcharges for their merchandise

3. pfurey

pfurey Senior member

I think she meant no matter who you buy from in NYC, half of it's population looks like they're in J.Crew anyway... Which is something I've been saying forever.

It's why I don't understand workwear. Why pay white collar pricing for something that was intended / designed for working class blue collar America?

Blackbird sucks though. It is 10-20% more expensive than other retailers.

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

reflection of car tells me this is not the m3, perhaps an sl ?

Looks like a W210 before facelift or first gen CLK to me.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

"New York was really just J.Crew, yet way overpriced."

FINALLY SOMEONE SPEAKS THE TRUTH.

This would be more convincing if she hadn't just put more resources into The Field House, which is eerily like J. Crew's Liquor Store. I'm not knocking the observation, but maybe you shouldn't bite the hand that feeds.

6. jet

jet Persian Bro

Ah, I see that you bought his book. How is it?

[​IMG]

fok on a roll and on point with the synopses of the current state of the b&m

7. Kvc06

Kvc06 Senior member

Just read that Blackbird interview. Ouch. If I was Nicole, I'd definitely not advertise that in the Blackbird blog. It is miserable in NYC in July, and she must have been having a bad day, because she comes off terribly. There seem to be two types of boutiques these days. 1) Julius, MA+, LUC, Attachment, CCP, Boris whatever the fuck his name is, Augusta, Ann D, Werkstatt Munchen (the goth ninja man jewelry of choice these days, it seems), Rick Owens, The Viridi-Anne, Damir Doma. or 2. Acne, APC, Engineered Garments, Wings+Horns, Robert Geller (used to be Nom de Guerre) Rag&Bone, SNS Herning, Rag&Bone, Comme des Garcons Play, Junya Watanabe, Band of Outsiders, Common Projects, and, of course, for the truly brave, Gitman Vintage, Alden, and Filson.
    Did you literally copy that no 2 from a store in Canada? I swear they carry those exact brands edit: oh yea, it's called Nomad

8. zissou

zissou Senior member

Fok- also, very few of the labels on Blackbird's site aren't workwear/heritage

It's why I don't understand workwear. Why pay white collar pricing for something that was intended / designed for working class blue collar America?
    It doesn't matter what it was designed for. It's just clothes that we put on our bodies- no different from any other style.

9. robin

robin Senior member

From her perspective as a buyer and in the context of the interview I took the jcrew quote to mean that many of the low-mid tier lines coming out of NYC are the same exact designs you'd find in jcrew - gant, bd baggies, blah. I think the Blackbird team has the right idea with lines like Penny Stock and Creep. And NYC really can be miserable during the summer.
    This would be more convincing if she hadn't just put more resources into The Field House, which is eerily like J. Crew's Liquor Store.
    Both stores are very carefully designed and are almost unnatural, but I don't find them similar. Plus, the Field House now has chickens.
    ? RRL, etc is not intended for people who shop for their necessities at walmart.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

[​IMG]

fok on a roll and on point with the synopses of the current state of the b&m

There are some other categories too, including the "minimalist Euro boutique for sophisticated types" (see Project 8B), and "Douchey Euro yupsters with fake boobs, tans, and indoor sunglasses (see, Riccardi in Boston, before they tried to become more gothy, the result of which is an interesting hybrid "jacked Euro douchebag trying to look like Jude Law."

11. jet

jet Persian Bro

robin always lurking in the shadows ready to protect his pnw's honor lulz

12. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

edit fok beat me to it, should have read the whole discussion

zissou too

13. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

There are some other categories too, including the "minimalist Euro boutique for sophisticated types" (see Project 8B), and "Douchey Euro yupsters with fake boobs, tans, and indoor sunglasses (see, Riccardi in Boston, before they tried to become more gothy, the result of which is an interesting hybrid "jacked Euro douchebag trying to look like Jude Law."

Sir, your comments misrepresent douchey yupsters everywhere. Excessive tanning, silicon enhancement, and Bono glasses? That's douchey upscale Eurotrash all the way.

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

i feel like LA guy is describing the people at my gym (Equinox in manhattan)

15. scott.m

scott.m Senior member

Sorry, I spoke too soon. I forgot about ye olde boutique:

Monitaly, Yuketen, Universal Works, Billy Kirk, SNS Herning, RRL (best when accessories are in bins), Quoddy, Pendleton and Filson (for that authenticity,) Woolrich Woolen Mills or Engineered Garments, LVC, probably Our Legacy and or Haversack, of course, Alden, Gitman Vintage, and Filson (I sometimes wonder if there is not a package deal there,) and you know, some grooming stuff - manly, no homo. Baxter of California, and stuff like straight razors.

Barring that, you just go all Freemans, and everything is done for you, just like the dry goods stores of olden tymes.

I fucking love freemans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.