• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Chico2007

Reaction score
Has anyone made their own tie?
When my Grandfather passed away a few years ago, my Grandmother gave me a lot of his things.
One item is a dark gray cashmere SC. It doesn't fit me at all but I don't want to get rid of it due to sentimental reasons.
My wife has a sewing machine and I am very handy so I was thinking of trying to make a tie out of it.
My idea would be to take an old tie, deconstruct it for the pattern and lining and create a new one.
Has anyone done this?
Thanks.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cole Haan
What would this pocket square (cotton, but in the drake's Mughal tapestry pattern go with?

Suit? Odd Jacket/Tweed? Or nothing at all because a pattern like this should be in silk?

pdk03_R.jpg

If you like them, wear them. The fabric of a pocket square will not be noticed by anyone but you, and other people on this forum, if at all.

That said, most SFers prefer simpler pocket squares with suits, and save patterns like the one you posted for odd jackets.

ndw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chico2007
Has anyone made their own tie?
When my Grandfather passed away a few years ago, my Grandmother gave me a lot of his things.
One item is a dark gray cashmere SC. It doesn't fit me at all but I don't want to get rid of it due to sentimental reasons.
My wife has a sewing machine and I am very handy so I was thinking of trying to make a tie out of it.
My idea would be to take an old tie, deconstruct it for the pattern and lining and create a new one.
Has anyone done this?
Thanks.

I have (for fun), but did it by hand and without a sewing machine. Results were not bad, but getting the tip to be the proper shape/point was pretty difficult. Make sure you take careful note of how the tie is pieced together (when deconstructing the old tie)(it may be helpful to take apart a few to get a comprehensive undertsanding), because it will be more than one piece of fabric and is not quite as easy as it seems.

viator

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new pair of eyeglasses. Who has the best selection in Manhattan?

Kenneth Cole Haan

Reaction score
Is Shell Cordovan (in the traditional burgundy coloring) really less formal than calfskin? How much so?

crider8883

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KendallAndKendall
What is this jacket worth?
Today i found a beautiful Brooks Brothers blazer on ebay. However, it is a bit pricey, and I am concerned that i might be paying to much if i purchase the item at the set price.

Brand: Brooks Brothers
It is 100% wool
It is partially lined
Those are the only details listed about the blazer. Please help me with the value / worth of this jacket.. Also, what price is too high and what price is too low, etc. Here are the pictures:

$(KGrHqJ,!i!E2Tn-rISFBNojJS19I!~~0_12.JPG

$(KGrHqUOKjcE1+Q-)FUuBNoi8dhi,w~~0_12.JPG

$(KGrHqIOKokE1zw!hRvjBNoi8OJ)uQ~~0_12.JPG

$(KGrHqQOKokE1z6yw)DUBNoi8Yn5Qg~~0_12.JPG

$(KGrHqEOKjUE10M(RLo6BNoi8WFHt!~~0_12.JPG

To figure out if its worth it at a particular price, you really need to determine a few things.

1. Age of the item. Newer is better. Given the shots you posted, this item looks old.

2. Condition of the item. Tweed tends to be more forgiving than other fabrics, but the coat still looks a bit worn to me.

3. How much do you need this type of item. The question of value is really a personal one. If you have 2 tweed jackets already, then this one doesn't have a whole lot of value. Also, if you are going to wear a tweed jacket once a year, also probably not much value.

I've bought several jackets off ebay that SEEMED cheap at the time, but because I ended up just not wearing them, they were expensive at any price. Just be sure of what you're getting, and why you want it. Otherwise you're just throwing money away.

KendallAndKendall

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crider8883
To figure out if its worth it at a particular price, you really need to determine a few things.

1. Age of the item. Newer is better. Given the shots you posted, this item looks old.

2. Condition of the item. Tweed tends to be more forgiving than other fabrics, but the coat still looks a bit worn to me.

3. How much do you need this type of item. The question of value is really a personal one. If you have 2 tweed jackets already, then this one doesn't have a whole lot of value. Also, if you are going to wear a tweed jacket once a year, also probably not much value.

I've bought several jackets off ebay that SEEMED cheap at the time, but because I ended up just not wearing them, they were expensive at any price. Just be sure of what you're getting, and why you want it. Otherwise you're just throwing money away.

Thank you for the quick reply...

1. The age isn't anywhere on the auction. However, it is listed as "Vintage", so i'm assuming pretty old.

3. I do not have a tweed jacket, and this is what i'm looking for. I've had a lot of trouble finding this particular jacket. However, if this is a common jacket, and i just keep overlooking the jacket, i'd like to know.

The price on this jacket is $150, free shipping.

With all personal reasons aside, is the jacket worth this much?

crider8883

Reaction score
Not even close. There are couple people who post on B&S with nice tweed jackets for much cheaper. Wait until you see one you like. Or, take a saturday and hit a bunch of thrift stores in the area. You'll find something substantially similar for around $8.

But of course that's just my opinion.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I remove rubber topy soles from shoes? - had them put on but I decided it's not for me

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
Should I expect the following problem to resolve itself:

Allen Edmonds #5 last is the slightest bit tight, width-wise, on both of my pinky toes; a slight enough pinch that I would guess a jump from D to E would be to much. Will the leather stretch out as I wear the shoes?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArsenalDan

Allen Edmonds #5 last is the slightest bit tight, width-wise, on both of my pinky toes; a slight enough pinch that I would guess a jump from D to E would be to much. Will the leather stretch out as I wear the shoes?

They will stretch out, though it takes time. To have an immediate result, you can always bring them to any cobbler to have them stretched (width-wise, or in any way you want) for under $10.

Kenneth Cole Haan

Reaction score
I found some second hand shoes on the internet but am not sure if it is shell or not, it's in the burgundy color.

Did Allen Edmonds have a Shell #8 with brogue/blucher/captoe? They don't seem to now, but I thought maybe they did in the past.

pitboss12

Reaction score
Are Brooks Brothers 346 (outlet line) dress shirts available in slim fit and extra-slim fit?

kellgy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArsenalDan

My new AEs are doing the same thing. I am letting my feet shape them and it is working quite well. The tightness has eased up only after a week or so of wear. They are #2 lasts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads